Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 7,891 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm staying at Cooks in July. I plan in kayaking in Kealakekua Bay as much as possible. I know landing kayaks in the bay isn't allowed but I was looking at govt maps and see that the protected area ends at Cook point just past the monument. Is it legal / feasible to land a kayak outside of the protected area and swim back to snorkel?

Or could I anchor a kayak in zone B of the bay where I read you can as long as it's in sand and swim in?

As you can tell I really don't want to tow a kayak behind me when snorkelling.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:48 PM

101 posts, read 138,620 times
Take a long rope, dive down and moor your kayak to the catamaran bouy. Its large and about 15' underwater. Near the corner of the bay not far from the monument. Just do an image search. The catamaran parking spot will clue you in. I'd use one of those big 5" carabiners to make it easy.
FYI, if you're talking about landing out of the bay along the coast I wouldn't recommend it. There is heavy pounding surf potential. Landing out there is very hazardous.

Also, you can hike down. It's not that bad.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:07 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
And the chances of a large south swell being generated from a storm far south of the equator could ruin your snorkeling in a hurry. Kealakekua is one of those spots that should just be left alone. Of course, that's not going to happen.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:09 PM

Thanks. That is a great idea. I will definately pack some rope and a clip.

Is it property of the catamaran company? Any idea of times / days it won't be used by them.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
The catamaran comes in the morning and later in the afternoon. Sometimes 3 times a day when they are busy. The boat stays about 2 hours. You should be good before 10AM, would be my best bet. They may object to the mooring of your kayak because they have a water slide and tons of people jumping off the boat. There's not much of a current but the boats do turn and float in different directions and would bump into each other.

The towing-while-snorkeling I actually don't mind. Gives some safety in the deeper water plus you can have your camera in there, water, and stuff.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks again. I'll keep the mooring as an option. I'll give the tow a try. Sounds like a very busy place - too bad. But I guess it's busy for a reason.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
I paddle a surf ski, kind of a very long, very skinny, kayak. It's great fun to grab a mask when I'm going out and just jump off when I see something interesting. Towing a kayak is no problem, unless it's blowing over 10 mph, in which case it becomes a matter of what's towing who. And if it's white water, you have no business being out there to begin with.

Just beware of #13369, of course, that only applies to Maui, unless he's broadened his horizons

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 AM

Thanks. Ill likely go first thing in the mornings when its hopefully calm and not busy - I won't go if there is anything that looks like wind or waves.

My plan was to rent a kayak or two for when I'm staying or I might just rent from locals at the pier. When do they show up though in the mornings?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM

101 posts, read 138,620 times
There is very good and easily accessible snorkeling at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau the place of refuge, aka Two-Step.
It can get crowded but its never more crowded than when that catamaran shows up and dumps 100 people into the water at once. Two-Step IMHO has better stuff to look at. Capt. Cook is basically a sloped reef of coral that just ends in a blue abyss. Two-Step has canyons, arches and plenty to see. If you're a strong swimmer the further out you go the more cool stuff there is too see. Just don't go out beyond where the break rolls in.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks. Two step is definitely on my list especially as I'm staying in Cook. I'll likely though often go for a snorkel in the bay at the monument in the morning before my family gets up.

Anyone know if the kayak renters are around first thing in the mornings? Or if I should rent one for the two weeks to keep at the house I'm renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island