Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 12,938 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are 5-7 years out from relocating to Hawaii and have made several trips out in the last couple of years. The plan is to move to the Puna district, most likely either Ainaloa, HPP or Hawaiian Beaches. I love the lot size, infrastructure, and prices in HB. Extremely fast Internet is a must, he is a software developer and I'm an RN (I may work remote as well).

Question- we have been contemplating going ahead and investing in a home there sometime in the next year and renting it out until our move. Looking at a decently updated, clean 3/2 with 20-25% down. We have spoken to one mortgage broker who indicated LZ 2 homeowners insurance runs about double normal, is this accurate? We would use a property management service to rent out the home, and a figure around 1300-1400/month without utilities is the most common rental amount I am seeing on rental sites for HB. We would likely allow pet(s). Is this number reasonably accurate? Are vacancies a big problem for outlying subs like HB?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 10:39 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Run the numbers and ask the property management company their costs as well. There's a high unemployment rate at the moment and good renters are hard to find but maybe the management company has a list of renters.

It's a requirement that off island property owners have an on island property manager, but you probably already knew that. Can you ask what their vacancy rates are? How often are properties vacant, how long do they stay that way, etc.

Hard to say where things will be in five to seven years.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the reply hotzcatz. I've looked at different management companies but have yet to call. I will put that on the agenda.

If anyone can chime in on what they pay for rent or insurance (if they own) in HB, that would be great. I am especially wanting to know about insurance rates. Not quite sure I would get real, unvarnished answers from Realtors or brokers, and as an ongoing cost it's a big piece of the equation!

Old 11-01-2020, 12:10 PM

112 posts, read 96,666 times
LZ2 in Ocean View. Home valued at $265. Annual Homeowner's insurance is @ $1,800/year through Kurt Black at Paradise Insurance. All other insurance companies quoted double or more.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
LZ2 in Ocean View. Home valued at $265. Annual Homeowner's insurance is @ $1,800/year through Kurt Black at Paradise Insurance. All other insurance companies quoted double or more.
Yikes. Even a million dollar place on Oahu would probably be half that.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:02 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefshadow View Post
Hello! We are 5-7 years out from relocating to Hawaii and have made several trips out in the last couple of years. The plan is to move to the Puna district, most likely either Ainaloa, HPP or Hawaiian Beaches. I love the lot size, infrastructure, and prices in HB. Extremely fast Internet is a must, he is a software developer and I'm an RN (I may work remote as well).

Question- we have been contemplating going ahead and investing in a home there sometime in the next year and renting it out until our move. Looking at a decently updated, clean 3/2 with 20-25% down. We have spoken to one mortgage broker who indicated LZ 2 homeowners insurance runs about double normal, is this accurate? We would use a property management service to rent out the home, and a figure around 1300-1400/month without utilities is the most common rental amount I am seeing on rental sites for HB. We would likely allow pet(s). Is this number reasonably accurate? Are vacancies a big problem for outlying subs like HB?

Thanks for the help!
There are three subdivisions within Hawaiian Beaches. There is Hawaiian Beaches, Hawaiian Shores, and I think Hawaiian Parks. Hawaiian Shores is said to be the best of the three. They all have mail delivery and county water. No catchment tank. Hawaiian Shores is pretty much to the right side of Kahakai Blvd. There won’t be any google street view of the properties because on the dead end roads it will say on the pavement, “private property.” That is all Hawaiian Shores.

Our home owner insurance there in LZ2 I think is $130 a month. Not too sure. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Property taxes are $600 annually. We have a 3 br 2 bath 1200 sq ft house.

We have Spectrum for cable and internet. Our internet speed is about 60mbps. Not sure if they have higher speed than that.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post

We have Spectrum for cable and internet. Our internet speed is about 60mbps. Not sure if they have higher speed than that.
Spectrum starting speeds in Hawaii are 100 mbps. If you aren’t getting that call them or maybe it is your router if wireless.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like the broker was being honest that it runs about double.

Any experiences with renting in the area?

Old 11-02-2020, 12:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Do you really want to be a landlord during a time of 20% or more unemployment? We've dropped our rental rates by over 20% on two of our properties in order to get solid renters in them who don't depend on employment to pay the rent. One of them has been at reduced rates (50% off) because that's what the renter can now afford. Half is better than none and it is being paid so we consider ourselves lucky. Worst case is if a renter doesn't pay at all and doesn't leave. Hmm, well, absolute worst would be doesn't pay and doesn't leave until after trashing the place.

So, IMHO, if you do go ahead with this plan, assume lower rents than are shown on Craig's List, figure there will be more vacancy time or more time when the renter won't pay and won't leave. There's been some sort of moratorium on renter evictions, I think? We've not had a non-paying renter so haven't had this issue, but we've lowered the rents to where they can pay. We've been leery about new renters since the ones who have been evicted for non-payment are going to have to go somewhere.

It's one thing if you want to buy and live in it, but buying a house in Hawaii at this time as a money making scheme or even paying it's own mortgage scheme seems risky to me at this time, YMMV.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Do you really want to be a landlord during a time of 20% or more unemployment? We've dropped our rental rates by over 20% on two of our properties in order to get solid renters in them who don't depend on employment to pay the rent. One of them has been at reduced rates (50% off) because that's what the renter can now afford. Half is better than none and it is being paid so we consider ourselves lucky. Worst case is if a renter doesn't pay at all and doesn't leave. Hmm, well, absolute worst would be doesn't pay and doesn't leave until after trashing the place.

So, IMHO, if you do go ahead with this plan, assume lower rents than are shown on Craig's List, figure there will be more vacancy time or more time when the renter won't pay and won't leave. There's been some sort of moratorium on renter evictions, I think? We've not had a non-paying renter so haven't had this issue, but we've lowered the rents to where they can pay. We've been leery about new renters since the ones who have been evicted for non-payment are going to have to go somewhere.

It's one thing if you want to buy and live in it, but buying a house in Hawaii at this time as a money making scheme or even paying it's own mortgage scheme seems risky to me at this time, YMMV.
Thanks much, you are right. We will likely wait and reassess in 6 months, since both eviction moratoriums and mortgage forbearance will likely be over. It may be possible to pick up a desired property for much cheaper at that time anyway. However lower interest rates right now are highly attractive.

It's hard to find accurate economic numbers for specific areas of Hawaii. Since Puna is much less reliant on tourism, I assumed unemployment rates may be a bit lower than the state average but maybe not.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: