Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 06:16 PM

181 posts, read 176,069 times

Advertisements

So we have an asphalt roof on the house, It is recommended that we replace it with a metal roof so that we can have a drinkable water from the catchment tank. Any thoughts? And the home inspector indicated that the asphalt roof would make the water not drinkable. Of course we will be installing an additional filter and UV filter in the system as well.

So possibly looking at replacing with a metal roof and new gutter system. Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
So we have an asphalt roof on the house, It is recommended that we replace it with a metal roof so that we can have a drinkable water from the catchment tank. Any thoughts? And the home inspector indicated that the asphalt roof would make the water not drinkable. Of course we will be installing an additional filter and UV filter in the system as well.

So possibly looking at replacing with a metal roof and new gutter system. Recommendations?
HPM is a great source for metal roofing as they make their own profiles over in Hilo. You can even get copper and stainless steel if your feeling flush or never want to replace a roof again. They probably have some decent installers they can recommend.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
HPM is a great source for metal roofing as they make their own profiles over in Hilo. You can even get copper and stainless steel if your feeling flush or never want to replace a roof again. They probably have some decent installers they can recommend.
I dunno about the copper lasting that long. I know some folks replacing some fairly new copper gutters because they rotted out and some other folks who had copper plumbing that failed. Acid rain from the volcano maybe?

We have an aluminum roof installed in '52 which is still good, but all the fiber washers around each roofing nail wore out so each fastener had to be replaced. Not sure if they still make aluminum roofing?

Try ask HPM if they have a list of installers in your area. They sell the roofing, they'd know the installers. There's another company there in Shipman that also makes roofing, but I forget their name at the moment.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I dunno about the copper lasting that long. I know some folks replacing some fairly new copper gutters because they rotted out and some other folks who had copper plumbing that failed. Acid rain from the volcano maybe?

We have an aluminum roof installed in '52 which is still good, but all the fiber washers around each roofing nail wore out so each fastener had to be replaced. Not sure if they still make aluminum roofing?

Try ask HPM if they have a list of installers in your area. They sell the roofing, they'd know the installers. There's another company there in Shipman that also makes roofing, but I forget their name at the moment.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't really clear there.
Copper would be for the bling if you got the big bucks, stainless steel if you wanted a lifetime roof (and have deep pockets).

Old 09-26-2018, 08:00 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:

I think the recommendation regarding drinking water is probably valid, and that a galvanized steel roof should last your lifetime. Of course, it doesn't rain much in HOVE so you will probably still need to get water delivered.

So, if your current roof is in good condition then replacing it may not be worthwhile.

If it's a single story home with a moderate pitch, this job could be a DIY or handyman special as it's uncomplicated and requires no special tools.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:46 AM

thanks for the info. Yeah I'd probably replace the roof if I can do it reasonably. there isn't a ton of sq footage so I'll likely just get someone to do it. the roof is in ok condition. It's probably the original roof (1989) but appears to be in good condition with a few lifting shingles.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info. Yeah I'd probably replace the roof if I can do it reasonably. there isn't a ton of sq footage so I'll likely just get someone to do it. the roof is in ok condition. It's probably the original roof (1989) but appears to be in good condition with a few lifting shingles.
Just curious, are you (or can you) lay metal roofing over asphalt or do you have to do a tear-off first?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Just curious, are you (or can you) lay metal roofing over asphalt or do you have to do a tear-off first?
I don't know. I'm going to see what the roofer says

Old 09-27-2018, 12:30 PM

65 posts, read 69,289 times
Speaking from experience, consider keeping the roof you have, and collecting the water. A simple sand filter will render it fine to use in the household. Then get a undersink RO system, like Costco has with 4 filters, for your actual drinking water.

As an additional option, they have high tech silicone type white paints that can be applied to asphalt roofing to greatly reduce solar heat gain, drastically extended the life of the tiles, and make the water that comes off cleaner (no more little gravel).

If you do elect to get a metal roof, pull the existing tiles off. Nothing worse and lazy than laying roof on roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island