Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 AM

189 posts, read 189,205 times

Advertisements

I have Medicare as Primary and BCBS FEDVIP as Secondary.

When patients are referred to Honolulu for medical care, does anyone know if any of the insurance plans with Kaiser, Blue Cross, or HMSA cover travel expenses? We plan to move back to Hilo this year and can choose any of these insurances as I am a retired Federal employee.

Back in 2000, we had Kaiser insurance and they paid for my husband’s trip to Honolulu for surgery.

Mahalo.

Judy
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Blue Cross and HMSA are the same thing.

Both Kaiser and HMSA pay travel expenses if they approve the trip.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Blue Cross and HMSA are very similar in that they use each other's networks but they aren't the same thing. The care they deliver is very similar but the financials are very different. As far as I know BCBS won't pay for interisland trips but HSMA will. Here is their web page about it:

https://hmsa.com/help-center/interis...cal-treatment/

There are other subtle differences too, like BCBS didn't require any pre-approval for MRIs but HSMA did (I don't know if this is still the case).

Old 01-09-2020, 11:57 PM

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is HMSA in Hawaii.

There is no other Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Hawaii.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 AM

189 posts, read 189,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Blue Cross/Blue Shield is HMSA in Hawaii.

There is no other Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Hawaii.
I agree with Terracore. The two plans are similar but they are not the same.

I really don’t get what you’re saying. When I worked for USDA in Hilo, I provided the different insurance brochures to the employees. My supervisor had a Blue Cross insurance card and plan; I had Kaiser; and the two women who worked in accounting had HMSA plans.

I’m going to do more research on the OPM Fed Gov website. I just didn’t want to read through the brochure details, so I thought I’d ask. When I find out more about the plans, I’ll get back to you and Terracore.

Mahalo to both of you for taking the time to respond.

Judy

Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 AM

https://hmsa.com/about/

Headquartered on Oahu with centers statewide to serve our members, HMSA is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Hawaii's medical and insurance companies are separate companies from their mainland same-named companies. The Kaiser in Hawaii is not the same Kaiser as on the mainland, etc., etc. Hawaii Medicaid, being Federal, should be the same as the mainland version, although I don't know that for certain.

We've only experienced traveling to Oahu with Kaiser and they not only pay for it, but have it set up pretty to be pretty easy. There's a shuttle bus from the airport to the Kaiser facility and another shuttle bus back. They will fly a companion over if it's a procedure that may need travel assistance afterwards. The Kaiser facility on Oahu somehow has more of a hotel feel to it than a hospital, although there's not any separate rooms for the companions if there's an overnight stay.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The Kaiser in Hawaii is not the same Kaiser as on the mainland, etc., etc.
In what sense - Kaiser corporate in the Bay Area is certainly funding all the annual losses Kaiser in Hawaii is incurring.

And when you go to the parent Kaiser Permanente website and look for locations - Hawaii is listed with all the other ones

Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
whtviper1 you seem entrenched in proving everybody but yourself wrong- Have you had both HSMA and BCBS in Hawaii? I have. And more than that, I've had both at the same time. They ARE NOT THE SAME. Non HMO plans use each other's networks all the time. This is not a new thing.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In what sense - Kaiser corporate in the Bay Area is certainly funding all the annual losses Kaiser in Hawaii is incurring.

And when you go to the parent Kaiser Permanente website and look for locations - Hawaii is listed with all the other ones

Hmm, maybe they've changed, then. Back in '04 or so, the Portland Kaiser didn't share records with the Hawaii Kaiser and they billed separately, too. But, that was then, maybe they've manged to get it more organized now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island