Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

This is an island. Puna has a lot of 'different' folks, but they get along with each other and the community and allow others to be others. This group didn't have the tolerance of other folks' ideology so they were chased out. As an island, we need folks who get along with others, not weird cult members who are totally clueless and won't be a help to our island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 02:03 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Yes, I agree.

However, after reading Hawaii News Now FB post by Keahi Tucker it's quite apparent there is a great deal of hate towards them locally, based on the hundreds of comments there, and it's demoralizing for me to see this.

I'm left feeling a bit sad for them.
That's the thing. The notion that Hawaii is all "Aloha" all the time is a lie. We are seeing the nastiness and foolish behavior of many islanders up close during this covid time. Note, I don't think that Hawaii is any different than many places on the mainland in this regard; the narrative (a myth from where I stand) is that they are.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:05 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
This is an island. Puna has a lot of 'different' folks, but they get along with each other and the community and allow others to be others. This group didn't have the tolerance of other folks' ideology so they were chased out. As an island, we need folks who get along with others, not weird cult members who are totally clueless and won't be a help to our island.
Honestly, it's that thought process (and nothing personal against you) that rubs some people the wrong way. The island could have been just as much the Cult Nation's had they chose to settle there. Longtime islanders and residents who get along with each other don't have some kind of exclusive ownership over or right to the island.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
Social media is reporting that a bunch of "local boys" offered the cult enough "encouragement" to leave the island ASAP such that it was an offer they could not refuse.

Social media is also reporting that the wives of said local boys have reached out to the female / children members of the cult and have offered them to stay and get the help that they need if they so desire.

Coming from sources that have been 100% factual in the past.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Honestly, it's that thought process (and nothing personal against you) that rubs some people the wrong way. The island could have been just as much the Cult Nation's had they chose to settle there. Longtime islanders and residents who get along with each other don't have some kind of exclusive ownership over or right to the island.
Yeah. Like California could have been Jim Jones’ cult’s home if he had chosen to stay and be part of the community. Hey, the Charlie Manson family’s too. Why not? Pushing people out who live depraved lives on the far fringes is just elitist snobbery.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:22 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,874,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. Like California could have been Jim Jones’ cult’s home if he had chosen to stay and be part of the community. Hey, the Charlie Manson family’s too. Why not? Pushing people out who live depraved lives on the far fringes is just elitist snobbery.
You miss the good old days...lol.sarcasm

Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wow. Why not? Because they are innocent until convicted of committing a crime. I'm sure you're aware most cults aren't murderous.

They are most definitely folks I wouldn't want as neighbors. Who knows where they'll end up next, if they keep getting "pushed out"?

Alaska would probably tolerate them for awhile, provided they minded their own business.
Nudity doesn't work too well here though.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
This is just a salilious story for the masses to steer focus away from the high rate of children disappearing on the Big Island, as well as young women and men.

Puna has a lot more worse lowlifes and criminals than this group. This group is cotton candy compared to the sex trafficking circles on the B.I. circles.
Puna is riddled with violent criminals, meth labs, and thieves.

Here's whats REALLY going on behind the dog and pony show:

"Prosecutor Mitch Roth addressed the Council in regards to the increased reports of missing children on Hawai‘i Island.
With what appears to be a troubling trend of missing and runaway children,"

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/06/16/...qRLclgBVsOyGbs

Old 06-17-2020, 10:32 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Wow. Why not? Because they are innocent until convicted of committing a crime. I'm sure you're aware most cults aren't murderous.

They are most definitely folks I wouldn't want as neighbors. Who knows where they'll end up next, if they keep getting "pushed out"?

Alaska would probably tolerate them for awhile, provided they minded their own business.
Nudity doesn't work too well here though.
Innocent of what? I didn’t accuse them of anything. And if your only metric for negative judgement of cults is murder, you might want to learn more about cults.

My observation is anthropological. There is nothing unusual nor unnatural about societies shunning persons and groups experienced as operating belligerently far outside established cultural norms. Extreme ideological variance quite commonly generates antagonism and fear.

I’m not condoning, advocating, or even personally offering judgement. I am responding to the notion that there is anything surprising about the established community reacting as it has.

Moreover, the fact that Puna in particular is home to a variety of outlaws and outliers, some pretty egregiously so, doesn’t mean there is any reason for the body of Big Island society in general to embrace any cults. Individual criminals and extremist ideologues aren’t embraced either. They are able to exist in the communities because they are singular and random - as opposed to having any semblance of scale and organized threat.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:03 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

It's intended to rub folks the wrong way. Same same pidgin. They may legally have a right to move where they want in the United States but that doesn't mean we have to welcome them with open arms if they are not going to get along with anybody.

They have a right to their own opinions, but not a right to tell us what ours should be. They can think Hawaiians are descended from black peoples if they want, but they should keep it to themselves if they want to get along with folks in Hawaii.

Technically, they may be right, since DNA studies have determined humanity originated somewhere around upper Africa or along the Nile or somewhere around in there. But, after a bazillion years, well, folks may not consider themselves as from that area anymore.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 06-17-2020 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: