Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 PM

16 posts, read 16,087 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005, stick shift VW convertible Bug. It is in perfect condition. My question is, will it be useless on the roads between, and around Pahoa and Hilo?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Why do you ask? Most of the roads are paved. Where do you plan on going?

Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM

On another page, a fellow recommended having a truck. I made me go, uh oh. Did I miss all the 'bad roads' last visit? We are planning our move there.
My car would be useless in So. Cal. (too much stop and go).

Old 02-10-2018, 07:06 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Okay, I think we need a bigger picture here.

Are you planning to live outside of Hilo and work in Hilo and use your VW for commuting? Maybe your VW would be fine for that. Most of the larger subdivisions have paved streets; a few like Orchidland don't. However, if you don't like commuting in your VW, then you should not bring it as rush hour traffic to Hilo can be very sticky.

I would imagine that the truck recommendation would be because we end up hauling a lot of stuff here. Where I live we don't have trash pick-up, for example, so it's nice to have a truck to haul trash to the transfer station. Nice, but not absolutely necessary since we use our SUV for that.

So I guess our answers to you depends on your lifestyle and where you plan to live and work.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM

I am hoping to live and work in Pahoa/Kea'au making forays into Hilo a few times a week.
It was a dumb question. I love my little car, but I know it is not practical, and was struggling with the idea of giving it up. I have since discovered that I can get a truck there (a beater) pretty cheap.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
You'd probably be better off buying a truck on the mainland and shipping it over. Even a beater truck here is substantially more than in California.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliefrnch View Post
I am hoping to live and work in Pahoa/Kea'au making forays into Hilo a few times a week.
It was a dumb question. I love my little car, but I know it is not practical, and was struggling with the idea of giving it up. I have since discovered that I can get a truck there (a beater) pretty cheap.

I think a convertible bug is a great car for that route. My all time favorite driving experience was when a friend insisted I try driving theirs from Puna to Hilo and back in the late afternoon/evening. It was so pleasant to feel the warm air, smell the earth, hear the coquis and see the stars in this ride.

If you envision needing a truck on a regular basis maybe you should have one, but I wouldn't recommend a beater as your only vehicle.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
"Most of the larger subdivisions have paved streets; a few like Orchidland don't."

More accurately, all of the larger subdivisions (including Orchidland) have a mix of paved and unpaved roads. Usually the access roads that go makai - mauka are paved and the side roads are cinder.

"On another page, a fellow recommended having a truck."

In some areas (Fern Forest, Hawaiian Acres) the side roads are so bad a truck is a good idea, in others a truck is desirable because people in rural Hawaii generally don't use trash pickup services and nobody wants to haul one's rubbish to the free transfer stations in a sedan. Also, many of the people buying 3+ acre lots are doing some kind of agriculture and it's pretty difficult to do anything other than light gardening without a truck of some kind, even if it's only an old beater for weekend hauling.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Up until not too long ago we had a 1964 VW convertible bug kitcar that made it resemble a 1952 MGTD. It was a fun car and light on gas and easy to get parts for and to fix. Probably the 2005 bug would require more expensive parts and repairs, though. It was really nice having a convertible, but I'm not sure if it would have been all that practical as our only car. Although the MGTD kit reduced it to a two seater, that would have made it more difficult as an only car.

But, as mentioned, an air cooled car in traffic isn't having much fun. If anything, you could bring it and if it wasn't working out you'd be able to sell it or trade it for a truck.

If you have a job in Pahoa/Keaau (there aren't all that many of them, but maybe you already have one or have a line on one?) then you won't be in the traffic all the time and can arrange to miss the major traffic times when going into Hilo.

Maybe the answer is to keep your little car and get a beater truck as well or to hire someone to haul your rubbish to the transfer station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: