Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,297 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
We're supposed to be moving next week to Eden Roc, do we just have mail sent to the mountain view post office, general delivery? Any other options?
Another question - looks like the cheapest way to have boxes shipped (from Baltimore, nothing too big, maybe 50 lbs.) is USPS - is that right?
Mahalo,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Mountain View, Kurtistown, Keaau or Hilo post offices, general delivery. There are two post offices in Hilo, though, one downtown and one at the airport. The airport one would be closer to the road up the hill to Eden Roc. You could call the postmaster and apply for a post box, perhaps, but they may need to see picture I.D. before they do that, I'm not sure of the particulars. Sometimes you get a P.O. Box for free at your local post office, it depends on your area. Very few areas outside of Hilo or Kailua in the Kona district have mail delivery to houses so just about everyone has a P.O. box.

United States Parcel Post is about the cheapest way to send general stuff. If it is books, CD's, DVD's etc., then you can send it the cheaper media mail although sometimes that is checked to make sure it is just media so check with the post office to see what is classified as "media". USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) should have info.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,081 times
welcome neighbor! we're in fern forest and our mail is sent GENERAL DELIVERY to the mountain view post office. do not try to apply for a pobox on line because the sight is has not been updated and we're still waiting for a refund from november of last year! we applied for the box at the kurtistown post office (online) and when we went to "claim" it, the clerk said that none were available. when and if one becomes available in mountain view, it's supposed to be free as hotcatz pointed out. apparently, the waitlist for the coveted box is over a year.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 PM

There ya go! A business opportunity! Rent a small shop and collect folks' mail and put it in boxes and charge them a nominal fee for it. Doubt you'd make much but perhaps as part of another business it might be profitable.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,081 times
i actually thought about that. lol. there aren't enough boxes to go around.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 PM

116 posts, read 397,237 times
Default FYI re: USPS

Media mail to Honlulu will average 4-6 weeks. So it may take a little longer to get to the Big Island. It can sometimes be faster, or sometimes be slower. I'm not sure how long parcel post takes, I assume it will take a few weeks, but just keep this in mind and maybe send only those items that you'll be able to live without for awhile. Welcome to Hawaii!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 15,297 times
Mahalo to everyone who took time to respond! We're looking forward to being there soon.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 AM

18 posts, read 93,696 times
Aloha Mike:

Perhaps the association can answer your various Eden Roc questions:

You can call the Eden Roc Estates Association @ 808-968-8484,
or e-mail: EREA at EdenRocEstates.com

They also have a forum where you can post questions.

and additionally,

they are looking for people who are interested in running for the 2009 Eden Roc Estates Association Board, if you are interested please call 968-8484 and leave your name and number. The elections will take place on January 17th, 2009. would be a good way to really get your teeth into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeamick1 View Post
Aloha,
We're supposed to be moving next week to Eden Roc, do we just have mail sent to the mountain view post office, general delivery? Any other options?
Another question - looks like the cheapest way to have boxes shipped (from Baltimore, nothing too big, maybe 50 lbs.) is USPS - is that right?
Mahalo,
Mike

Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Oh, yeah, depending on time of year and barge/containership schedules from the West coast, parcel post can take up to several months. Media mail would probably be about the same.

I always thought the reason folks always went to neighborhood association meetings was to make sure they didn't get elected when they weren't watching?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
Howzit,I am moving from Kauai to Hilo soon and need to know, out of the 2 USPS in Hilo is the 96720 located at the airport, and do they allow people to ship and recieve mail there?Or should I use the 96721 for sending my personal items to general delivery?The reason I ask is, Lihue, the main USPS at the airport is strictly for mail distribution to the many annex USPS offices all over the island and does not have personal mailing services.Anyone who can help me answer this, I would be so greatful.I would hate to not be able to pick up my personal belongings I am shipping or have to deal with some kind of delay.Mahalo, BODA111
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island