Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM

252 posts, read 661,394 times

Advertisements

Aloha:

Looking for a room to rent (hotel) in Hilo, Puna or surrounding area that has internet access in the rooms either by wifi or ethernet. Seems like every place we have called its only availble in the lobby or common area - besides The Hilo Hawaiian there rooms are a little more pricier then what we want to spend. Currently we are on Molokai and wish to come to the BI for a few days but we still would have to work until noon.

I have tried Hilo Seaside.. no go only in lobby or common area

Reeds bay side - no go only in common or lobby area.

Uncle Billys - no go only in common or lobby area.

You would think there would be more options then this - the reason why I ask is because we have to work from 4:00 AM - Noon daily and this requires internet access.. lobby would not work for us to carry on work as ususal as I receive and place calls daily for work etc.

Thank you,
Laurie

Last edited by 1freespirit; 03-09-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,713 times
That's all there is in Hilo except the Naniloa, (being renovated), Dolphin Bay and Arnott's, neither have internet. Maybe try VRBO for a vacation rental with access.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,332 times
I'm not sure how long you intend to stay in the Hilo area (short term or long term) but if you want to try a Bed & Breakfast with DSL internet in the rooms I very much recommend Holmes' Sweet Homes. It is a quiet, pleasant place and the owners are very nice people.

I'm not aware of the policy of posting links here so just type that into Google and you'll find it.

Bob

Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Thank you for your responses.. we will be needing a place with internet for only a couple days.. the weekend we already have a place booked.. so for work we will just go with the lowest room we can at Hilo Hawaiian - for the one or two days instead of missing work - still will make some $$ instead of missing so all is fine.

Just thought it was odd how so many places do not have internet access via wireless when usually laptops can pick up wireless signals blocks away from the router. Even here on molokai I can pickup 3 different places I can connect to.

Again Thank you all,
Laurie

Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM

22 posts, read 66,827 times
Default Try Dolphin Bay

Spent time last fall in Hilo at Dolphin Bay Hotel, the website stated lobby for WiFi but we were only a couple of rooms away from lobby and office and the Wi Fi worked fine in our room. Very small hotel but very comfortable room, people their were great. Give them a try. Aloha

Old 03-15-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Mahalo - all.

Thank you will check out Dolphin Bay -

Aloha,
Laurie

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 AM

65 posts, read 289,432 times
This may be an option: you can get a Verizon aircard for your laptop with unlimited usage for $60/month. When you land in Kona, get directions to Long's drugstore. In that mall is the Verizon store. AT&T also offers this, but the reception may not compare. Their store is in the Safeway mall.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 18,025 times
Country Club Villas, right on Bay on Banyan Dr. had Wifi in almost all rooms, except mine. The rooms are not so good at this place

Went to Bayfront Coffee, Kava (yum) and Tea downtown in the evening when I had no access.

Good Luck, rick emmerich

Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,527,807 times
Bring a small wireless router with you and configure it as a repeater. They have stronger transmit and receive than the wireless card in your laptop. Should be able to at least double, if not triple the range that way. Your router should have the instructions on the web for you. If not, DM me and I can help. You can try it out at home first, before you travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island