Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM

11 posts, read 20,491 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I've been reading the threads for about a year and find many interesting and informative. I belong to the ranks of many who ask the same question you see over & over again about moving to "paradise"..( Wish I read previous threads to avoid cyber embarassment!)..Anyhoo what I was wondering is if many people from the Hilo side commute daily to the Kona side for work....I'm planning a trip over to scope out some areas of interest...Thanks for any info...PEACE, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Aloha,
depending here you are its up to a 2 and a half hour drive each way. My wife works in Hilo has a work mate that lives in Kohala but she only comes in 2 -3 days a week.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
The bus runs from Hilo to the various Waikoloa resorts 6 days a week. The schedule coincides with the shifts at the resorts. The bus is free - but it is a long trip. The bus does not utilize Saddle Road.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Don't even think that commuting from Kona to Hilo is practical. Two and a half to three hour is optimum.

It's called the Big Island for a reason.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,714 times
When you say "Kona side" do you mean Kona town? Or are you talking about the Kohala coast with all of the resorts? I know many people who commute from Hilo town, Keaau and even Mountain View to the resorts 6 days a week. They tell me it's about a hour and half drive(accidents and traffic will add to that). It's another 30/45 minutes from the Mauna Lani/Hilton/Marriott to Kona(sometimes longer with traffic). I don't know anyone who commutes from Hilo to Kona though. Either way it's a looooooong drive.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,884 times
if my expirience helps, i worked on Mauna Kea one day a week, driving from Kailua-Kona on the upper road to saddle road, half way to hilo then trek up the mountain. Even though that is only half the way of the fastest drive, i would not ever want to do it 5 out of 7 days for work. and i like the drive! i'm always excited because it's so beautiful. but the weather can be awful and it's slightly dangerous. unless it's a can't pass up job and a can't pass up living situation, i would just look for a new job or house a little closer to the more important of the two!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
When the price of gas goes up there will be help wanted ads in the Kona paper and none in the Hilo paper.

There aren't as many people commuting as there used to be because the hotel occupancy is way down. Somewhere around fifty percent or some dismal figure.

IMHO, you will have a much better chance of a good transition if you move to Hawaii instead of moving to "paradise". That whole concept of paradise gets folks expecting bizarre things.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 34,006 times
John, there are people that do this but don't. I think there is more employment opportunites in Kona, if you're seeking a job. rent for a while. Wife and I've been here 1 year Keaau, near Hilo. Love these islands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island