Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
These two travel well together. We can leave them alone for hours and hours together unsupervised with no problems. Have for about 6 years now.
Once our little conure walked over to the dog resting on the floor and tried to snuggle up to nap with the dog but the dog got up and went to a chair.
The bird is the boss and the dog is very docile and submissive.
Aw, that's adorable! I had a cockatiel that had insane maternal instincts, and when we got a kitten, she would snuggle with it, preen its fur, and one memorable night, was flying into the kitchen to pick up a lone kibble of cat food, then flying back with it in her beak to leave it in front of the cat... she did this for almost an hour!

My parents have a green cheek and what they say is true: they really do think that they're much larger birds. He's the alpha of their flock of larger conures, even though at the end of the day, he's really just a snuggler. He naps with their two cats and pug regularly.

My amazon is just a womanizer He loves women and whenever I have a girl over, he will fly to her shoulder, serenade her, play with her hair... it's really funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:14 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
My 8" African Senegal is THE boss of everything, even my hubby! Two cats laying on either side of a doorway, bird walks right by inbetween both of them. Dog stays out of the room if the bird is down on the floor. Hubby has been found up on the couch one time I came home from shopping, yelping for help like a nancy boy! The bird actually stalks my husband! They have all (me too) shed blood from this little guy. I am the only creature that remotely looks even a little more Alpha to him.

Everything I have ever read about Senegals was that they are nice quiet birds. Guess TwoBee forgot to read them.

Hi ya, pl! I didn't know you are a bird woman too!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
We had a Mynah bird, and he did not really know how to talk much, but the only thing he did learn how to say was our dog's name, and he would say it, over and over, and the dog would run arournd, thinking someone was calling him. I think that the bird was messing with him...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
These two travel well together. We can leave them alone for hours and hours together unsupervised with no problems. Have for about 6 years now.Once our little conure walked over to the dog resting on the floor and tried to snuggle up to nap with the dog but the dog got up and went to a chair.The bird is the boss and the dog is very docile and submissive.
I had a "Photo File Malfunction" and my previous pic of our traveling buddies went bye bye.

Here they are.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TQEVyqSEWbI/AAAAAAAAINk/3mKFWa-1gYU/s512/294%20pics%20141-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
my dogs are SMART...but my macaw is INTELIGENT...

its like the difference between book smart and street smart...
the dogs learn what their taught (directly or indirectly) like peoples names, how to let me know when the food bowl is empty ect...these are all things that indirectly ive taught them, whether i notice it or not (ie the dog barks at the food dish when its empty, i go over and fill it, dog thinks...ooo that works!

the bird though...he figures things out for himself, the cogs in that brain works differently than the cogs in the dogs brain...you can see him figuring things out on his own, he uses tools, he doesnt just go through the motions of repeating learned behaviour...
for example hed NEVER seen me screw a a butterfly bolt on as i set up his cage before he came home...within a week hed figured out not only how to undo the screws on the butterfly bolts, but how to undo knotts and unscrew other thigns too.
he figured out how to undoo my bangle (which even i have a hard time with sometimes) ect.

dont get me wrong, i LOVE my dogs and i think dogs are more inteligent than many people give them credit for...
but Birds, particularly corvids (crow/raven) and parrots...they just blow any dogs "book smarts" out of the water lol.

for good measure: Jack Jack, 5mth old Sever Macaw (dna male)

(the dogs are in the dog photo thread )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds