Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM

731 posts, read 678,975 times

Advertisements

I have a Rhode Island Red hen that was given to me. She had been the last hen of my neighbor's that did not get eaten by coyotes. Red was always kind of a loner chicken and would be out by herself away from other chickens. She laid a brown egg almost every day. One night we heard a ruckus in the hen house. I went out there and opened the door. There was a possum in there grinning. It had not killed any chickens yet and I ran it off with a stick. Counted the hens, and Red was missing. We went out and found her in the dark. Something was wrong with her. She was ataxic (loopy). She had sustained a head injury flying out of the henhouse. The next day she could not stand, eat or drink. She would just flip upside down. So for several months I kept her propped up on towels and hand fed her bites of chicken mash wet with vitamin water by putting it into her beak. By golly, she got well. But she still wasn't quite right and had a crazy look in her eye. I had to leave to work on my place in Oregon and I took her with me because I knew the other hens would be mean to her because she was different and probably kill her. So she rode across the country in a cage in the back of my truck. Whenever we crossed agricultural inspection stations I hid her under my coat. She lived in Oregon in a horse stall laying eggs every morning. Here she is

I brought her back to Texas and now she holds her own in the hen yard. She is actually quite high in the pecking order because the other hens know she is crazy. When other hens approach she fixes on them a crazy red eye and moves her head in a circular motion just before she attacks. Even dominant hens want no part of that. She is still a good layer of brown eggs. I am glad I saved and doctored this chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
That is such a great story. Slightly brain damage hen. Great job on nursing her back to health.

I ended up with a love bird with many years ago. The poor thing ended up going through a industrial sized air circulation fan and could not hold on to a perch or stay upright, also had a huge bruise. I took her to a vet to see if there was anything they could at least advise me on, they just said it will probably die in a day or two. He lived a long life with my budgie I had, but was always a bit off and couldn't fly well

Old 01-19-2018, 01:36 PM

731 posts, read 678,975 times
Red had a serious head injury. One puplil was blown (dilated, not reacting to light) Good for you saving that love bird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds