Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM

23 posts, read 62,266 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I first made a post on this site, because we thought that we were headed to Oxford, MS. We are competitive pistol shooters (USPSA/IPSC), and there simply were not enough clubs/ranges for us, to be able to participate the way we normally would in a given month, (especially since the hubby is heading for "early-age" retirement. Plus, I have a Brother and family in Montgomery.

The house [in NJ], went on the market last night, and as soon as she sells (fingers crossed right now BIG TIME), we are OUTTA HERE! I don't know how many may be on the board from NJ, but, I'm sure that most people know that NJ is number one in the country for Property taxes. And getting them to fairly assess those values is not an easy process, and we are paying MASSIVE amounts to live here. It really is insane, because for the money that we are being charged, you would think that they would then take the tolls off of the major roads - NOPE they go up every year. We currently live on the water, so we pay massive amounts for flood insurance as well. Now even though we have NEVER flooded, the map says differently, and that goes up every year as well.

We are a "younger" retiring couple (47 & 57), and are looking for a newer built home, a Ranch is a must have, because I am disabled, *(Lupus and Fibromyalgia)*. Three to four bedrooms in a neighborhood where the homes are not on top of each other, with some older growth of trees. (I know I sound incredibly picky, but it is going to be forever after purchase) in the $175,000 range.

So, if you would just bear with me, I have broken down a list of eight towns, that based on a google search, are close to Outdoor Ranges, and I would love to know your Opinion of them. AND, if any of you live there, could you possibly tell me if we need Flood Insurance, and about how much do you pay per year if you don't mind telling.
In no particular order but I'll keep them in the same counties:
1.Ashville
2.Moody
3.Pell City
4.Oneonta
5.Warrior
6.Vincent
7.Hanceville
8.Decatur

I would love any input, on what you think of the places. What are they like? Are they relatively safe areas? Of course there will be the "what is good and bad", about any area, but if anything REALLY bad stands out, PLEASE let us know. Since we are pretty much relying on this leap of faith, that we are taking, (well,,, that and google), we are hoping to land in the area, that is just right for us. Being truthful, the Flood possibilities, and Tornadoes, actually scare the daylights out of me, to be 100% honest. Everybody was very kind on my questions about Mississippi, and now of course things changed, but better to find out now!
Thank you in advance for ANY help that you may be able to provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
There is nothing inherently "bad" about any of those towns. But they fall in different classes depending on what you want. And flooding really isn't much of an issue in Alabama. Tornadoes, unfortunately, are. Of those on your list, Hanceville stands out as having had recent heavy tornado damage.

Medium City: Decatur is a good-sized city and would have anything you need nearby. It is also near Huntsville for when you need something a larger city will supply.

Small City: Pell City. County seat of St. Clair County (although Ashville has a courthouse also, a holdover from the old days). Residences can be had close to or even on the lake. 30-45 minutes to either Anniston or Birmingham.

Suburb: I consider Moody an outer suburb of Birmingham. It doesn't have a charming downtown, or anything spectacular going on, but there are lots of newer houses out there.

Small Town: Oneonta, Warrior, Vincent are all small and not terribly close to anyplace larger. Oneonta is the county seat of Blount County, so there is a tiny bit more going on there, but not much. Warrior and Vincent are very small, and would be good if you want rural living and don't mind driving 45 minutes or more to get to a major shopping center or hospital.

Small suburb of a Small City: Hanceville is adjacent to Cullman (and about an hour to Birmingham proper). Ashville is adjacent to Pell City and about 40 minutes to Birmihgham proper.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM

415 posts, read 802,499 times
Like jake said, flooding isn't much of a problem in Alabama. I'd rank the cities/towns you listed as follows (personal preference):

1) Decatur
2) Pell City
3) Warrior
4) Moody
5) Oneonta
6) Ashville
7) Hanceville
8) Vincent

Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Like jake said, flooding isn't much of a problem in Alabama. I'd rank the cities/towns you listed as follows (personal preference):

1) Decatur
2) Pell City
3) Warrior
4) Moody
5) Oneonta
6) Ashville
7) Hanceville
8) Vincent
This is pretty good, but I'd rank Oneonta above Warrior or Moody. Oneonta actually has a nice little downtown area.

HOWEVER, Blount County is a DRY county. So unless you are a teetotaler or just plan your drinking in advance, you should really take this into account.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is pretty good, but I'd rank Oneonta above Warrior or Moody. Oneonta actually has a nice little downtown area.

HOWEVER, Blount County is a DRY county. So unless you are a teetotaler or just plan your drinking in advance, you should really take this into account.
Oneonta does have a nice little downtown. But I would mark it down because it is off the beaten path. It takes a while to get to the interstate, and then from there it takes a while to get to Birmingham. I think it is the most remote of the options, except maybe for Vincent, which is really a wide spot in the road.`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area