Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM

178 posts, read 370,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is there a river bank around near in Birmingham where someone could go for an evening/morning walk ? Or even just to sit by it and watch it ?
I over-heard someone say they go to the river for a swim, sadly, thats all I could hear. I would love to swim in a river which does not have high currents and has no crocodiles or alligators. But that is secondary. I have loved walking along (or just hanging out on the numerous wharfs along) Charles River in Boston and on the banks of Mississippi in Minneapolis (and the St.Anthony falls). I would love to have similar pleasures in my dear Birmingham.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Birmingham? No. Jones Valley doesn't have that available to my knowledge. I would caution you against the Warrior River, as it might not be terribly safe. Desoto State Park has absolutely great river overviews, but that is 90 min away. I understand your desire. We bought our property in part because it has a creek.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Hmm.. thanks Harry chickpea. Guess I will have to wait till I can buy such a property

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,207 times
The Cahaba River snakes through the area, and is quite scenic in some areas. Unfortunately, the area just doesn't spend the effort to create a place that is waterfront or recreational at all. Oak Mountain State Park is my haunt, and it's two lakes offer scenery and serenity, if that is what you are looking for.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks ashpelham. Could you please tell me what those areas are where the Cahaba river gets scenic and doesn't appear like just a thin stream of water ? I drive everyday on 280 and till recently when I was not driving I never knew the Cahaba flowed from beneath the little bridge I drive over everyday. I understand most of those areas may not be recreational, but if any of them are drive-able I would love to lean against my car and smoke a cigarette and enjoy watching the river flow.
I have avoided the Oak Mountain state park entirely due to the crowds on weekends. Never been there, but from what I hear people say, I wouldn't want to go there to relax since quiet is not possible with so many people around.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Thanks GenghisCohen. Cool. I would be grateful if you could please tell me how to get there ?
I am looking at google maps and it looks like I can go to Grant's Mill Road either through 119 or 459. Either ways, the only two places which seem closer to the road are near and around St.Bede's Anglican Church and Webster Christian School.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times
I don't know that there is anyplace you can really walk along the riverbank. But there are some places you can get near the river and just hang out a bit. One is off Old Overton Road, not far from the turnoff to the Carraway-Davies house. And the new outlet mall in Leeds basically backs up to the river. I don't know, but it might be possible to park there and hike a short way through the woods to the water.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanks jakabedy, I will check it out.

Cheers,

Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 46,891 times
If you are not stuck on walking on a river bank, check out Oak Mountain State Park in the metro area. Beautiful any time of the year.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,280 times
It's not a river but Turkey Creek is pretty cool. It's in Pinson and is much closer to Bham than Oak Mountain.

Turkey Creek Nature Preserve

Me and my son would go out there and lay in the water all day. Simply because I went down the "natural waterslide" (aka high current waterfall covered in algae slime) and bruised every inch of my body when I hit the rocks.
Hole looks nice doesn't it? Try climbing back out......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area