Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Agreed.Can anyone imagine if every parent decided not to vaccinate their kid? Vaccines protect not only that person's kid, but everyone. It's the right thing to do.
No Amish kid in Ohio gets vaccinated and the kids don't get anything that vaccines allegedly prevent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
No Amish kid in Ohio gets vaccinated and the kids don't get anything that vaccines allegedly prevent.
Not true:

Underimmunization in Ohio's Amish: Parental Fears Are a Greater Obstacle Than Access to Care

The Amish do vaccinate. They have no religious objections to it. Their vaccination rates have been lower than average, however, sometimes with disastrous effects:

Vaccines and Vaccine Preventable Illnesses

"a rubella epidemic in 1991 among the Amish in Pennsylvania, who had low immunization rates, led to 95 pregnant women getting rubella, results in 9 miscarriages and 11 cases of congenital rubella syndrome."

Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not true:

Underimmunization in Ohio's Amish: Parental Fears Are a Greater Obstacle Than Access to Care

The Amish do vaccinate. They have no religious objections to it. Their vaccination rates have been lower than average, however, sometimes with disastrous effects:

Uh yeah, Thirty-seven percent of the parents responded. It's not surprising the ones that did respond had some vaccinations. It's a mail-in survey. Generally, not very credible as the respondants will be skewed. And I wasn't speaking in absolutes either. Amish in Ohio do not vacccinate and they do not get ill in larger numbers than vaccinated kids. And I never said they had a religious objection to it. There have been no disastrous results of Amish kids in Ohio getting sick from lack of vaccines. And you're link says they do vaccinate anyway. So which is it?

"a rubella epidemic in 1991 among the Amish in Pennsylvania, who had low immunization rates, led to 95 pregnant women getting rubella, results in 9 miscarriages and 11 cases of congenital rubella syndrome."
I was talking about Ohio Amish not Pennsylvania.

The percentage of miscarriages has been estimated as high as 50% of all pregnancies. So 9 in a PE Amish community is nothing. It's strange, all these Amish folk skipping these vaccines and all that has happened is 9 miscarriages and 11 cases of rubella.

Kinda proves my point that the Amish don't use vaccines and don't get sick.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
vaccines do not prevent illnesses 100% of the time, it's big business and that's where the "hype" started. I think here it's mandatory. Before kids are allowed in school, they have te be vaccinated. But everything here is government run so....in the US, there may be more freedom as far as those things,... I don't believe in flu shots or shots to prevent uterine cancers for one...to each his own...as far as getting lots of negative posts to your question, OP, that's to be expected on a forum ...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
You said

Quote:
Since the link shows there are Amish in Ohio who vaccinate, that is not true.

Quote:
I was talking about Ohio Amish not Pennsylvania.

The percentage of miscarriages has been estimated as high as 50% of all pregnancies. So 9 in a PE Amish community is nothing. It's strange, all these Amish folk skipping these vaccines and all that has happened is 9 miscarriages and 11 cases of rubella.

Kinda proves my point that the Amish don't use vaccines and don't get sick.
The Amish do vaccinate. To say otherwise is contrary to fact. Unless the Amish in Ohio are different somehow from The Amish in Pennsylvania, my example stands.

However, if you want Ohio, here is Ohio:

An epidemiologic investigation of a rubella outbreak among the Amish of northeastern Ohio.

The Amish do not completely avoid vaccines. When they do, they do get vaccine preventable diseases.

The miscarriages in the original article were due to rubella, and it was not just 11 cases of rubella, it was 11 cases of congenital rubella:

Congenital rubella: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Symptoms of congenital rubella:

"Cloudy corneas or white appearance to pupil
Deafness
Developmental delay
Excessive sleepiness
Irritability
Low birth weight
Intellectual disability
Seizures
Small head size
Skin rash at birth"

Badly damaged babies, now rare, thanks to vaccination.

You really need to stop saying the Amish do not vaccinate. Many do. When they do not, they do get vaccine preventable illnesses.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You said

You really need to stop saying the Amish do not vaccinate. Many do. When they do not, they do get vaccine preventable illnesses.
And you need to understad I wasn't speaking in absolutes.

I said that earlier, if you bothered to read it.

Last edited by OhioRules; 03-10-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Actually, I never asked for any of these opinions. I honestly don't care about them. You're right, I knew what they would be. All I wanted was a name of a doc or two that were vaccine friendly. Not everyone's opinions. But apparently its made for good fodder on this board, so I hope everyone has enjoyed it!

Criticize, frown, question all you want. I'm just as entitled to my beliefs as others. And for every posting or argument you post that was published, I could give you another that was published that had an opposite opinion. I could also give you stories from other nurses and health professionals that share the same beliefs as my wife and I have. (And yes, we've talked to them about options, but I just came here hoping for others.)

To each his/her own. If you don't have any options to offer me as far as a vaccine friendly doc, save it. To the poster who gave the link for vaccine friendly docs by state, Thanks. I have already seen that list, but it is outdated and not totally accurate. There are only two according to that list, one of which is no longer considered vaccine friendly, and the other is an option that we have tried but were very unhappy with, shall we say, her practices "sanitation" practices.....
You aren't the first person who has complained because the answers they got to a question on CDF weren't what THEY wanted.

You chose to avail yourself of a public forum and you can't control the answers you get.

As far as being "entitled to your own beliefs" I question that. As an adult, I can accept that you have some rights to determine what vaccines you take. I don't accept that at all if you are making that decision for your children, particularly if you want them to attend public school.

I suppose there are people who "have a belief" that the earth is flat or that there is no such thing as a "law of gravity". Both are beliefs that some people probably have. Both beliefs are also erroneous and get no respect from me or most others.

If you choose to reject all the science and logic that has been contained in the answers in these posts than you strike me as a person who cannot be reasoned with.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You aren't the first person who has complained because the answers they got to a question on CDF weren't what THEY wanted.

You chose to avail yourself of a public forum and you can't control the answers you get.

As far as being "entitled to your own beliefs" I question that. As an adult, I can accept that you have some rights to determine what vaccines you take. I don't accept that at all if you are making that decision for your children, particularly if you want them to attend public school.

I suppose there are people who "have a belief" that the earth is flat or that there is no such thing as a "law of gravity". Both are beliefs that some people probably have. Both beliefs are also erroneous and get no respect from me or most others.

If you choose to reject all the science and logic that has been contained in the answers in these posts than you strike me as a person who cannot be reasoned with.
Why do people that are vaccinated and have there kids vaccinated worry about ones that don't?

I always wondered that. If your kid is vaccinated then why should you care if soemone else isn't? Your kid can't get sick, they've been vaccinated.

That's a nice self-rightous, condescending post you wrote though. There is plenty of evidence that vaccines don't work as advertised. But you choose to believe everything that western medicine tells you. Sound like a sheeple.

And that's nice that you think adults have "some" rights when it comes to the government telling them what they can do with their bodies. How benevolent of you.

Too bad you don't think people should be "entitled to your own beliefs" Guess your inner-totalitarian is loose. You might want to put it away. You sound like a commie thought police agent.

P.S. I have no idea if people should get vaccinated or not. It's up to them, I reckon. I haven't got a flu shot in 20 years and haven't got the flu. It's obvious though that western medicine is wrong all the time and I think it's foolish to ignore evidence that vaccines don't always work and they can cause serious side effects in some people.

Last edited by OhioRules; 03-10-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 17,319 times
Quote:
And you need to understad I wasn't speaking in absolutes.

I said that earlier, if you bothered to read it.
What I think you're trying to say is, "Sorry, I was wrong."

Don't worry about it.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Why do people that are vaccinated and have there kids vaccinated worry about ones that don't?

I always wondered that. If your kid is vaccinated then why should you care if soemone else isn't? Your kid can't get sick, they've been vaccinated
---------------------
Seriously? Vaccines aren't always 100% effective. Take measles, for instance, Without immunization, 90% of kids will catch it. Some will die of encephalitis. With immunizations, 95% will be protected. Some kids aren't up to date with their boosters. Some kids may be allergic to eggs or another ingredient in the shot and can't be vaccinated. Some kids may be immunosuppresed. I think it's selfish for some people to rely on the herd immunity of the rest of us. By not vaccinating your children you are putting them at far greater risk than the very small risk or a sore arm associated with vaccinations. If you won't do it for the health of your own child, I certainly won't expect you to do it for the greater good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area