Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times

Advertisements

Check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/re...j0bPNQ5RNg+bw&

Not the most effusive, optimistic article in the world, but it is yet another light being shined on Birmingham and our excellent efforts to renew our city. I can only hope that the momentum will continue, and that some more good, affordable housing will be built in downtown and allow more and more commercial growth IN Birmingham. I for one am tired of seeing all the money going to Shelby County. Shop downtown when you can, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
It wasnt written like a fluffy PR piece and Im glad of that. That would just give the detractors something to latch on to. But they will hate regardless.

I thought it was an even handed piece. Just what we need.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
over a thousand housing units are in the works for downtown, so now if we can get like a shopping district and a few grocery stories for those living downtown I think that would make it even better, throw in a few movie theaters for the sake of it

Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
over a thousand housing units are in the works for downtown, so now if we can get like a shopping district and a few grocery stories for those living downtown I think that would make it even better, throw in a few movie theaters for the sake of it
I think a good grocery store would be the key.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 19,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think a good grocery store would be the key.

"Key" ?? a grocery freekin store ?? Sorry, bham needs more than that so does DT lol
but I did get a laugh. Reverse migration also is not going to happen either. The horse has left the barn on suburban and ex-urban life in bham. Vestiges of the bad past continue to linger, but perhaps less so for much much younger people. The same folks trying to prop up urban living and life now are probably the same ones hanging around Morris Ave, Diamond Jim's, The Crazy Horse, Terry's Bigtop and Sammy's back in the day "of downtown renaissance" too.. ha ha.
Nope, sprawl y'all ! let the sprawl sprawl past the perimeter south contunue ! St Clair county is next without a doubt.

Last edited by weisenheistz; 08-08-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheistz View Post
"Key" ?? a grocery freekin store ?? Sorry, bham needs more than that so does DT lol
but I did get a laugh. Reverse migration also is not going to happen either. The horse has left the barn on suburban and ex-urban life in bham. Vestiges of the bad past continue to linger, but perhaps less so for much much younger people. The same folks trying to prop up urban living and life now are probably the same ones hanging around Morris Ave, Diamond Jim's, The Crazy Horse, Terry's Bigtop and Sammy's back in the day "of downtown renaissance" too.. ha ha.
Nope, sprawl y'all ! let the sprawl sprawl past the perimeter south contunue ! St Clair county is next without a doubt.

Well, aren't you full of wisdom and promise on this sunny morning.

I'm so glad I am not you. With a chuckle thanks to you, I am off to go about the business of building up and not tearing down.

Enjoy your denial,

raj kapoor

Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 AM

what's with a personal attack on pure opinion ?? you're arrogant to actually think your opinion is the only one that counts in a free discourse.

stop with a personal attack...I didn't attack you jackazz..you're not a vessel of wisdom yourself ya know, you're just another freekin POSTER ! ha !

Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheistz View Post
Numbers say otherwise (downtown and southside are growing). And experience would as well the revitalization, compared to 20 years ago is apparent to anyone thats seen it at those points). You're free to have an opinion, but its worthless if you are basing it off ideas that are 20 years old. If you haven't been there, nor paid attention, you just don't have a clue.
Young people are precisely the ones that are causing this to happen, as well.
Also, it IS possible for St Clair to be quickly growing, AND have downtown growing as well.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Numbers say otherwise (downtown and southside are growing). And experience would as well the revitalization, compared to 20 years ago is apparent to anyone thats seen it at those points). You're free to have an opinion, but its worthless if you are basing it off ideas that are 20 years old. If you haven't been there, nor paid attention, you just don't have a clue.
Young people are precisely the ones that are causing this to happen, as well.
Also, it IS possible for St Clair to be quickly growing, AND have downtown growing as well.

if life when you come across people who seems to wants to express their opinion from what they believe is right, but in reality if you gone to try and make a point, at least based it on some type of factual research or give a link to what you think when you was saying it to be so true. I have learn a long time ago to just ignore or just say "yea you right" type of look at them and keep it moving. everybody has the right to an opinion in this country but at the same time don't look so ignorant and bad when trying to speak. ( not you bluebeard but the poster you was speaking on )

Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Opinions are just that, duh....opinions.

And, er, my opinions are based on hands-on life experience....years of it. Just state what your opinion is and refrain from personal attacks (unless attacked).....right ?? no opinion issued on a forum is going to change the facts on the ground about Birmingham anyway.....lol.....surely you're smart enough to figure that one out, right ?? LOL it's a freekin WEB-BASED INTERNET FORUM ..! not the Regional Planning Commission......ha ha.....it doesn't MATTER what is stated here.....how dumb can people get ? your substantive affect on ANYTHING about Birmingham while hanging out on an internet FORUM is zilch...nada...nothing.....

don't like what is being said on a freekin internet forum, well simply ignore it, or better yet, get up and go get some fresh air, hit the golf ball, go for a swim, take the boat out, go back to work LOL....or anything else ! ha ha

unbelievably moronic it is...... nobody's opinion is going to change.....duh

how really stupid can people become in the internet age , eh ?? if you think your opinion "counts" at all on any subject about any damn city discussed on the INTERNET, I would suggest that perhaps you're in a bit too deep and already a "victim of your own bulchit" ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: