Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,881,081 times

Advertisements

Im surprised there hasnt been more talk about the SWAC title game leaving Birmingham for Houston, while the SWAC commissioner calls the move "a business decision" the conference HQ will remain in Birmingham. This should be another wake up call for the need to replace Legion Field.

Meanwhile the BBJ has reported that other cities in the region have expressed interest in hosting SEC media days, which would mean a loss of national exposure for the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Yes. A bigger more modern stadium in perhaps a more centralized location. I do not understand why it isn't of any concern but probably has more to do with the Classic and the Papa johns/compass bowl or whoever it will be next - staying in Birmingham.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 AM

34 posts, read 73,402 times
Don't feel too bad Birmingham. It ain't personal. Seems like everything and everybody that's worth any amount of money is moving to Texas now-a-days. They got money to burn and they don't spare no expense. If they see something they want they go after it and they don't care whose economy it effects. They can be ruthless. Governor "Good Hair" Perry is out actively recruiting in other states bribing businesses to leave their home state and relocate to Texas. Now that Texas A&M is in the SEC, look for the SEC Championship game to move to Houston or Dallas, at least every other year. The other schools will be out-moneyed. Just look at the Big 12. When Texas joined, business wise, everything went Texas's way, and to heck with tradition of the Big 12 before Texas joined. Colorado and Missouri got fed up with Texas and bolted. Oklahoma wanted to but they're nothing without Texas, sports-wise that is, as college football is the only game in the state. So where Texas goes, so goes Oklahoma.

Last edited by Cosmic Thunder; 07-30-2013 at 02:54 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Well so far we've held them off on taking BBVA Compass. Plus, whoever has the biggest nicest stadium will win those types of things. I don't see them taking the SEC championship from Atlanta. They just aren't centrally located enough and Atlanta has more clout in this regard IMO. Birmingham should really step up to get that back, but I don't see us having a large enough nice enough venue in the next ten years.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM

976 posts, read 2,685,731 times
I'm a native Alabamian so I can say , Alabama is ran by a bunch ignorant crooks and the majority of the people are also ignorant because they keep voting for the fools. The state hasn't moved forward. The repubs talk about being fiscally conservative but force the citizens to borrow money for medicare and multi-million dollar road construction projects. I think the road projects are fine but why do you criticize Obama when he wants do it. Our politicians are too socially conservative (at least they preach it to manipulate the average half brain racist fool). Racism killed this state and continues to do so, Atlanta went in a different direction. Birmingham dropped the ball.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM

Well in the here and now Atlanta has the Georgia Dome which is nicer then Legion Field. They may even build a nicer one there shortly. I can not blame Birmingham for not building an NFL worthy venue without a host NFL team in the hopes of keeping the SWAC and bringing back the SEC championship game. But yeah we can blame leadership from further back for putting us in a position where we are not a flourishing major city today. I think we have gotten back on track for growth though.

At least both conferences are still headquartered here.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,088,697 times
People who bring 'racism' into a thread that does not deal with that subject are most likely themselves racist, or at least obsessed with it.

raj

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM

51 posts, read 88,811 times
"Football Capital of the South" huh???

I remember when Birmingham used to hang it's hat on such a highly regarded statement but not so much these days.

What's next to go Birmingham?? BBVA Bowl, Magic City Classic? Maybe you guys should call up Charmins and see if you can get sponsorship for the 1st Annual Toilet Bowl to play inthe dump we call Legion Field.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM

What's Huntsville have? You guys are worried about losing your minor league baseball team because of that dump known as Joe Davis. "Toilet Bowl", that's remarkably clever.

Don't you fret none about the Old Gray Lady.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,088,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM256 View Post
"Football Capital of the South" huh???

I remember when Birmingham used to hang it's hat on such a highly regarded statement but not so much these days.

What's next to go Birmingham?? BBVA Bowl, Magic City Classic? Maybe you guys should call up Charmins and see if you can get sponsorship for the 1st Annual Toilet Bowl to play inthe dump we call Legion Field.
Oh yes, Huntsville. Spaced Out City USA. Three road strips full of chain establishments and no identity. Its alright. Come visit and make yourself feel better anytime. Gosh, I do remember when you guys weren't even connected to a road system until that 'spur' opened. I still don't think I have seen downtown, does the spur go there?

keep up what your doing up there,
raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area