Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times

Advertisements

Well, I think there is a dawning recognition that the city center isn't just the most convenient place to work in the area, but that the existing buildings have excellent bones and charisma to them. One of the unintended consequences of the Great Depression was that Birmingham did not build another major building downtown for 40 years, which in turned meant that our city is accidentally a museum of early 20th Century architecture.

When you look at the fads and abominations that were put up in most American cities in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, you realize what an amazing treasure we really have. Fortunately, this new spate of building is really a recognition of that. Glass and steel boxes are boring, while Chicago-school architecture is really a delight. Hopefully the developers of today will keep that at the top of mind as downtown continues its renaissance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM

522 posts, read 849,265 times
What are thoughts on infill developments near Pepper Place and Sloss?

I was at Sloss Fright Furnace this Friday, and I loved the feel of the area when arriving there on the viaduct part of 1st Ave North (or 2nd). Looking over to my left, you have The Furnace gentlemens club lit up with lots of aaction, Sloss in the middle, and Pepper Place somewhere to the south.

I understand that this is an industrial area/office area, but I think this is already an organic start for a "lifestyle" community in it's true form...nothing like these made up lifestyle villages such as Mt. Laurel in Shelby Co., Providence in Huntsville, etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
What are thoughts on infill developments near Pepper Place and Sloss?

I was at Sloss Fright Furnace this Friday, and I loved the feel of the area when arriving there on the viaduct part of 1st Ave North (or 2nd). Looking over to my left, you have The Furnace gentlemens club lit up with lots of aaction, Sloss in the middle, and Pepper Place somewhere to the south.

I understand that this is an industrial area/office area, but I think this is already an organic start for a "lifestyle" community in it's true form...nothing like these made up lifestyle villages such as Mt. Laurel in Shelby Co., Providence in Huntsville, etc.

It is definitely happening, and in its own time. The linear park along the tracks that is just getting started is certainly going to be a catalyst.
The best thing over there right now is the Pullman Flats. (between Sloss and Martin Biscuit)

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area