Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times

Advertisements

I believe most would consider SOHO a great success. I believe LANE PARKE is going to be transformative. What areas do you envision with 'good bones' and a realistic possibility for infill development and what type uses?

Mine are to redevelop SOUTHTOWN to make a seamless medical/research corridor from I-65 to LAKEVIEW. This of course is already virtually a reality except for the couple blocks. Then those apts. could create another new infill perhaps on the fringe of Norwood or Titusville.

I believe that PARKSIDE is our big infill right now.

Bolstered by this weeks announcement of yet a third thirty million dollar residential project. I smell a grocery store is on the way.

What say you guys?

raj of inquisitiveness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM

114 posts, read 134,034 times
Anywhere on the south or east side of the city is a good candidate for this type of development.

And, I think a grocery store is coming to Parkside or south side very soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 PM

522 posts, read 847,165 times
I've said before that east Birmingham near the race course should be reveled into a couple of different "towns."
Also some urban neighborhoods need ti be under reconsideration.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
I've said before that east Birmingham near the race course should be reveled into a couple of different "towns."
Also some urban neighborhoods need ti be under reconsideration.
I keep saying that DERBY PARKWAY has to explode. The location is too good and some of the commercial should be moving back that way from Trussville; they are out of room between those two ridges.

raj

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Man. Leveling south town and turning it into say...a bunch of brownstones would be awesome.

Hell, an empty lot would be an improvement.

alagasco is going out to derby parkway. Maybe some development will follow them

Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Man. Leveling south town and turning it into say...a bunch of brownstones would be awesome.

Haha...agreed. Brownstones in the south...New York style. Birmingham would be a Northeastern city, in the South. Haha

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM

I'm thinking the area around the old multistory service station, (the arte deco one) on Twentieth should be about ground zero to do a major commercial collections. It is between the financial center lofts, Cityville, and the new res building about to start out of the ground at Parkside, not to mentions all the housing on UAB campus.

Since there is realistically going to be one good large grocery I have been racking my brain trying to think of the one spot that will serve them all.

The new BLAZER TRANSIT coming this Fall will make that spot walkable to almost everyone too.

What do you think?

raj of inquisition

Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

alagasco is going out to derby parkway. Maybe some development will follow them
There are a couple of original brownstones on Second South at about Twenty-Third that are in great shape and are not at their fullest usage. The best one is the historic home of the madam that helped during the cholera epidemic that almost wiped out the city in the nineteenth century. She opened her home as a hospital.

raj of days gone by

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
There are a couple of original brownstones on Second South at about Twenty-Third that are in great shape and are not at their fullest usage. The best one is the historic home of the madam that helped during the cholera epidemic that almost wiped out the city in the nineteenth century. She opened her home as a hospital.

raj of days gone by
Ah, I see. Blazer Transit? What's that about?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Ah, I see. Blazer Transit? What's that about?
The University is setting up a first class bus transit on the Southside. They ordered the buses back in the Spring and will have them on the street by Christmas I believe.

Google it and I think you will find a recent article that showed the routes also. (extensive and frequent)

Also they are going to have the APP for your smart phone (all os) so that you can see where your bus is in real time and not just wait around.

I'm very excited about it. I will work well with Regions field and the new apt. buildings and even the grocery as I suggested.

I read the details about a month ago.

We are definitely headed places even if others don't know it yet.

raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area