Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,045 times

Advertisements

Happened by the area today and found the store is having a soft opening all week.

A very beautiful store staffed by warm and intelligent people. What a change from other companies hiring practices.

I feel I have made some friends among the dept. heads and sales staff. I did some shopping and a lot of looking for seasonal consideration. Bought some nice party foods up in the home gift department.

This store is definitely going to be a game changer if Belk wants to compete at the Galleria. (I suspect that is why they delayed their remodel of the Galleria store, so that they could see just what they are up against. If they don't start matching Von Maur's salaries they will still have the same pathetic sales force, even if the store is beautiful and new. (which they say it will be)

Anyway, I know many of you have been waiting to see how this turned out so it is a good opportunity to go there before the opening crowd Saturday. (although I do intend to go for my slice of cake anyway) LoL

Let us know what you think.

best wishes,
raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Glad to hear such favorable impressions as above here!Who would have expected such a fine retail company to be based in Davenport, Ia. of all places!They have been a quiet company for most of their existence but one that carefully crafted their customer relations & offered a top drawer retail experience & product.Von Maur entered a new growth phase in recent years and have made strong impressions in their new markets & been perhaps more of a gamechanger than was Nordstrom's when they had their growth phase.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Belk will do fine. Not everyone likes Von Maur and Belk obviously isn't going to upgrade the Riverchase store into a flagship.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
... and Belk obviously isn't going to upgrade the Riverchase store into a flagship.
Belk is exactly going to upgrade the Riverchase store into a flagship.

Belk plans makeover for Riverchase Galleria store, other new investments across the chain | al.com

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
I am glad to hear such a positive first impression. Since Nordstrom backed out, they have at least given us their Rack store over on 280. But Von Maur sounds like a nice step-up. I am sure they got a pick of the litter for employees, seeing as how there are so many qualified people who need jobs in this Great Obama Economy. Good people were hired no doubt, but I'm sure working for far less than they are used to. Hopefully, and possibly, Von Maur pays a little better than the usual retail offering.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM

Why even bring politics in to this, especially when you have to strain and spin it so hard to fit your narrative? How about it is a good sign for the economy that a major retailer is opening something and the mall is being invested in? Oh no, of course not.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Does flagship mean just generally a nice big fancy store, or is there an official designations by large retailers for this?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Belk has their own definition of flagship as it relates to other stores within their own chain.

The stores tend to be larger and carry more upscale items that the smaller ones don't.

out of 300 or so stores only four others are flagships. Charlotte raleigh and atlanta have them and then the one at the summit.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I guess I could've googled it...
The ever-definitive wikipedia says there are 4 flagship Belks (an 2 more planned), one of which is already in Summit. So now I'm confused.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM

Eh. It is a bit confusing ill admit. Raj knows more about it. But from what I understand from what he has posted before is that the Galleria store will be the nicest of all maybe just short of or equal to their main hq store in north Carolina (wether thats charlotte or raleigh I dont know) and that birmingham will be the western regional hq for the company.

The summit store isnt quite big enough to be as grand as the galleria location. So between the two the RG location will probably be perceived to be the nicest.

It looks like they backed out of building huntsville a flagship store but the one they are getting at BS is going to be nicer then the typical Belk that youd find at lets say, Alabaster promenade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area