Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 PM

250 posts, read 359,008 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a short vacay in Birmingham...its a place ive always wanted to visit! Where would you recommend I go, and what would you recommend I see?

I am mostly into exploring and walking around interesting neigborhoods, downtowns and beyond. Any recommendations will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Civil Rights Institute / For a look at the Civil Rights Era that's pretty unforgettable
Sloss Furnace/Vulcan / For a look at the industrial past
Botanical Gardens / An incredible free park
Barber Motorcycle Museum / The world's biggest. People come from all over to view it.
Five Points neighborhood, Forest Park, Redmont, and old Mountain Brook area for period architecture
Birmingham Museum of Art

If golfing is your thing, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail's Oxmoor Valley course.
Plenty of really good restaurants and nightclubs, too.

That oughta get you through two days easily.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
If you are in the downtown area, be sure and visit the Linn-Henley Annex of the Birmingham Public Library. (one block from the Museum of the arts and across the street from the Tutwiler Hotel)
Those in the Children's area are of various old fairly tales.
As a teenager I worked my first job in the Rucker Agee Atlas collection housed in the beautiful building and came to love those murals so.

They are really worth a few minutes of your time.

I would like to mention that due to the recent tornadic weather our Spring foliage is not quite what it should be, but the Botanical Gardens are a gem even when not at their best.

Walking the Jemison Trail on Mountain Brook Pkwy is a delightful and super beautiful way to spend an hour or two on a beautiful afternoon. It offers some insight into this beautiful and historic residential area as well. Visiting the Villages of Mountain Brook can be an adventure of another sort.

Have a good time.

Raj

Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM

That all sounds fantastic guys! Thanks!

What exactly are the villages of mountain brook if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Mountain Brook Village Is the town center of sorts with boutique like shopping. Davenport's Pizza is there which is an old favorite of mine. They are building the Grand Bohemian hotel In a new shopping development adjacent to the village.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
That all sounds fantastic guys! Thanks!

What exactly are the villages of mountain brook if you don't mind me asking?
The original three are:

1) Mt. Brook Village - just off of US280 at the Zoo/Hollywood Blvd. exit. This is the largest with the most retail. Also adjacent to the Zoo and the Botanical Gardens
2) English Village - up Cahaba Road from MB Village, past the zoo, in the Redmont area. A few good restaurants and a few good shops.
3) Crestline Village - Similar in size to MB Village, several restaurants.

Newer areas they're trying to Village-ize:

4) Overton Village - mainly a grocery store
5) Cahaba Village - Whole Foods, some banks, some jewelry, and a little bit to eat. Fairly new upscale strip center.

https://www.welcometomountainbrook.com/villages.php

Old 05-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Gotcha! thanks very much

Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Gotcha! thanks very much

Sounds like a rip roaring time visiting strip malls..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area