Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,914 times

Advertisements

Many don't even know that Lane Park (zoo and botanical gardens) is a Birmingham city park.

I needed to make that clear first so that anyone so motivated will know who to 'lobby'.

There was a time one could walk from the Birmingham Zoo across the street to the Botanical Gardens. For years now the Botanical gates are locked.
This may have come about many years ago when some teenagers went into the gardens and destroyed Bonsai Trees that were sixty and seventy years old. (a lifetime to replace)

I thoroughly believe in locking things up at closing, but in a world so focused on urban living and outdoor activity it seems incredible that one has to drive from one part of the park to another.

I do realize that Cahaba Road is busy, but it is not that busy. A nice brick plaza/crossing area that is slightly raised to act as a speed reminder and a flashing light would make it all work. Visibility is not a problem. It would also create a nice central focal point for the park if done well.

I find it sad that there has to be someone or a group that does not want this done. I feel that because surely I am not the only one that wonders why we have to drive from one side to the other in a park.

In today's world, I think that is insane. I walk there a lot and almost always walk up to the beautiful gate at the gardens with the big lock on it and look across the street at the zoo entrance. (ironically understanding how the animals might feel) lol

Does anyone else have a thought on this and has anyone ever asked themselves about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Would a pedestrian bridge be too big or out of place there? I need to get over there to see how the new center is looking.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Would a pedestrian bridge be too big or out of place there? I need to get over there to see how the new center is looking.

A really good looking, 'out of Paris' kind of pedestrian bridge would be wonderful. But since those types of public projects always cost astronomically I am not even thinking of that.

Or, we could just be proud to have the only public city park in the nation where you can't get from one side to the other without your car.

Another way to look at the issue. If you live in the new Lane Parke Apts., and one day you wanted to go to the zoo, it might be a shock to find out you have to walk around the park on two very busy streets that have no sidewalks to get to the zoo.

Or, you live up in the English Village, Redmont Park area and want to have a nice family outing on foot to the Botanical Gardens. When you get to the Gardens you are going to find a large decorative, but locked gate and will have to walk around those same busy streets with no sidewalks.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,604,464 times
I strongly agree with this in general, across the metro.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 AM

It would be a wonderful dawn of a new age if Birmingham and Mountain Brook could work together to develop the area so that it is pedestrian friendly. Although it straddles both cities the Lane Park Development, zoo and Botanical Gardens should be treated as one zone. Maybe they could elect a committee with reps from both cities to oversee improvements to the entire zone as if it were its own town/village/resort whatever. That kind of cooperation might even spread across the metro and begin a...

...okay sorry I got carried away.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It would be a wonderful dawn of a new age if Birmingham and Mountain Brook could work together to develop the area so that it is pedestrian friendly. Although it straddles both cities the Lane Park Development, zoo and Botanical Gardens should be treated as one zone. Maybe they could elect a committee with reps from both cities to oversee improvements to the entire zone as if it were its own town/village/resort whatever. That kind of cooperation might even spread across the metro and begin a...

...okay sorry I got carried away.

LOL

But it actually is a reasonable idea when you consider that both cities have a lot invested in that concise area.
Not to mention that many members of the private entities that are now running the gardens and zoo live in the suburbs. And now that I think of it that may be part of the problem. Most people as I stated above don't realize it is in BHM. So that might be why the city doesn't give a brick whether there are sidewalks much less a crosswalk. And the suburban ladies running the parks two facilities are not inclined to use a sidewalk that isn't at the Summit.

Oh well. I do wish that some of us would take our thoughts out of the forum to the entities that should get public input, whether they want it or not.
But I fear that never happens. As if just typing it means we have done our part.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Well there's gotta be a suggestion box, or a way to forward ideas on their websites. As much as the city has surprised me these last couple of years with new development and forward thinking, it isn't too a stretch to think they may be aware of the problem and kicking around a solution or two.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I strongly agree with this in general, across the metro.
Yep. Efforts are being made, but in general walkability scores are abysmal. Part of it, of course, are the hills. But another important part is the short-sightedness of not building sidewalks when all these developments went in. Should have been a zoning requirement back then.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. Efforts are being made, but in general walkability scores are abysmal. Part of it, of course, are the hills. But another important part is the short-sightedness of not building sidewalks when all these developments went in. Should have been a zoning requirement back then.
As far as the area around Lane Park; they thought they were in the country. And they were correct.

But a lot of time has passed since then. New sidewalks are going in around Lane Parke, but that does not help the Lane Park in the city of BHM.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 6,168 times
I think Birmingham has more fundamental issues to deal with in the built and un-built realms that walkability of Lane Park. It might be important to some for sure, but for the everyday man in Birmingham, they could care less, and hardly a priority of any significance. There are far more important city issues that should garner attention. Leave that to the pie-in-the-sky academicians and planners. Resource planning and budgets shouldn't allocate a dime to such projects - not now. The cost/benefit ration would be out of whack, and the average guy on the street in Birmingham, trying to work and feed his family would be outraged even contemplating spending that kind of resource, say, on a stupid pedestrian bridge - park or no park. Take a poll in central Birmingham, Roebuck, Ensley, North Birmingham, maybe East Lake, you might get an earful. Who's floating these kind of cockamamie, expensive "great ideas" for Birmingham and Jefferson County ? I'm amazed at some of the goofy ideas, and mis-placed priorities coming out of Birmingham, especially on websites such as this. Surely there is something more deserving for the average, hard working citizens of Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area