Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 12,073 times

Advertisements

Any advice (specific or general) for a renter who’s new to the area? I've been searching for a while, but the area isn't like what I'm used to. There are hardly any apartment buildings and no one wants to be in the city!

I’m thinking about the Alabaster/Pelham/Helena area, as it would also give me the option of taking 65 or 119 to get to work (Montevallo). I was hoping to rent before I bought so that I could get a feel for the area, but when I look at a rental price vs a potential mortgage payment for the SAME HOUSE, the rent is a lot higher. Twice as much, in some cases.

I’m hoping not to go as far as Hoover because of the commute, but if I’m going to end up paying more than I'd prefer for a rental, I’d rather it be in a place where I might be able to walk to stores and restaurants. I really don’t want to do yard work, so I’d rather rent a condo or an apartment.

I’ve mostly been searching on Craigslist and Trulia--Am I missing a good source for rental listings? Are there any good apartment buildings in this area? The ones that I've found all have bad reviews online. Are there property management companies that I should seek out or avoid? Are the utilities lower or higher in different municipalities? I'm guessing electricity is the biggest bill here because of the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 PM

284 posts, read 612,610 times
Not much help other than to say also check out Calera. It's a short drive to Montevallo and you may find some better rates on rentals. We bought a house in Calera earlier this year.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM

13 posts, read 12,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
Not much help other than to say also check out Calera. It's a short drive to Montevallo and you may find some better rates on rentals. We bought a house in Calera earlier this year.
Thanks, I'll add Calera to my list!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM

415 posts, read 803,222 times
I would postulate that most people looking to live/move to Shelby County are buyers and not renters so the market is geared towards that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area