Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Well, we've seen this before, but this is probably the worst it has ever been...

'This sinking city': In Fairfield, budget woes and politics take their toll on services | AL.com

With big layoffs looming at Fairfield Works, and the city not being able to pay its bills - it isn't looking too good.

Quote:
The rumors heard on the streets and in the corridors of city hall are of annexation; that Fairfield could be absorbed into Birmingham, or into the other cities on its border.
Coachman said that such rumors have been around for years. He's heard talk of Fairfield dissolving and being annexed into Birmingham since he was in elementary school, he said.
"At some point in time, we're going to have to come and sit at a table, if not this one, and make some hard decisions about how we are going to save this sinking city," he said.
What should be done? Should they be folded back into the county and simply be unincorporated? That doesn't seem too advantageous with Jefferson County just now getting back on its feet. Should they vote to be annexed into Birmingham if the mayor of Fairfield officially starts that dialogue? Would this be advantageous for Birmingham to consider, even if it means gaining ~11k citizens and few businesses which mainly amount to a Walmart and a Lowe's? Adding in bad debt and a depressed area won't make for a positive addition to the balance sheet, but it would bring some stability to the West Metro considering Fairfield is having a hard time policing its area. Perhaps that is the best reason in and of itself.

It was either Lipscomb or Brighton that started this dialogue officially a couple of years ago but talk quickly died down. Fairfield represents a larger piece.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-09-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
I hope for annexation. I think all of those dominoes will fall eventually. It has great frontage on I-59/20 which can equate to good commercial usage in the future. (who ever thought Academy Drive would end up so properous)

I also agree with you that having control over that area helps in reducing crime in adjoining Ensley and other areas.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Yes, Academy Drive is a great success in an area so overwhelmed with blight. After that, there is a long stretch of 20/59 where there is little for travelers to use in the form of exits that have little to no development or just aren't very inviting. Valley Road exit should be a lot better and Western Hills Mall, Miles College deserve better then they have it now. Having this area under Birmingham's jurisdiction would go a long way to cleaning it up I believe.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 AM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
An annexation of Fairfield would be a long time coming. I agree that it would be beneficial to Fairfield residents, and it would be a win for the city of Birmingham. I think that the Western Hills Mall area could become another Academy Drive. I look forward to see how this plays out.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Hoping the city could push for an interchange on Aronov. That has always been the challenge for that major commercial roadway.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 AM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
Yeah, that has always been strange to me. Direct interstate access would definitely benefit that area.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
I would be for annexation into Birmingham. Midfield, Brighton, and Lipscomb should also consider doing the same.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Yeah, that has always been strange to me. Direct interstate access would definitely benefit that area.
That is an awkward section. With the Valley exchange so close, I think they'd have to redo the whole thing.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM

When it was planned Valley Road would service DT Fairfield and US Steel. As it turned out both were diminishing and the growth was back up at Wiebel Drive.

I could see them closing Valley if necessary to put in a new more direct commercial route. But that conversation is many years away, I am sure.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
But that conversation is many years away, I am sure.
I agree.

I guess people are very stubborn, and reluctant to let go of the little bit of "power" they have, but I'm really starting to think the crime on the west side has more to do with lack of police in large swaths of it then anything else. I've seen Midfield, Fairfield and even Brighton police cars. But I couldn't remember ever seeing a Lipscomb police car, then I ran across this:

Lipscomb mayor shuts down city's police services | AL.com

Apparently the talk in Brighton was voted down, because the last article I could find on annexation was around five years ago. I can't imagine people wanting to stay independent in the face of having little to no police and poor fire and garbage coverage. If just the four little towns of Midfield, Fairfield, Brighton and Lipscomb were to give up and fold into Birmingham, I think the crime in the area would drop dramatically and would improve the west metro 20/59 corridor dramatically.

Bessemer, I think is strong enough to stand on its own and would never annex - but the other four are just pitiful. Maybe when they fall into liquidation, annexation will be mandated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area