Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
I wonder who to contact about asking when will a new highrise be built? An I'm confused are their 2 Publix ' s being built downtown ? So I mean BHAM really needs a HUGEEEEE project for downtown/midtown. Population growth can only go so far.
There's nobody to contact about that. Once something is planned, I'm sure it would be announced in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
Would love to see another 400+ footer on either of the 1900 blocks of 3rd or 4th aves N. That would tie in the cbd towers with the old Birmingham skyline nicely. If that gap could be filled, I think it would have a huge aesthetical impact on the cohesiveness / density feel of the skyline.

Pipe dream of course -- I'd much rather have the blighted and derelict gems of downtown repurposed first. Full occupancy / utility and elevated foot traffic downtown would be much cooler. But it's been a long time since we've had another tower. Maybe down the road, but we've got our focus in the right spot at the moment. Can't wait until Powel Ave plant is done. That's one of the cooler projects you'll find in any city.

Truth be told, if Bham could ever secure even just two 500 ft towers in addition to what we have now, I would never want for anything else re: our skyline.

*still thankful that Sheppard Center was never built. 700 ft would have been nice, but that giant crucifix would've brought a world of headache.
Yeah, you're correct. I think that's a nice spot for it. There definitely needs to be something to tie in the few taller buildings in midtown to the downtown skyline. I would love to see something really modern go up. Maybe even a shorter building like a hotel or something. Maybe 10-15 floors?

I do think that the Thomas Jefferson Tower will make a huge impact at night once it's lit up. It's not even really a part of the skyline right now.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
Truth be told, if Bham could ever secure even just two 500 ft towers in addition to what we have now, I would never want for anything else re: our skyline.

*still thankful that Sheppard Center was never built. 700 ft would have been nice, but that giant crucifix would've brought a world of headache.
Ha ha. That's why I don't necessarily care if Mobile has the state's largest building. Something like that would literally stick out and dominate the landscape and not be all that aesthetic IMO, no matter how nice that one structure might or could be. One or two medium sized building just a little taller then the others would be better.

I think once the TJ, Highlands and Pizitz are done, it'll just be a matter of time before a new one is announced - because by then it won't require a new company moving to town or some exiting firm building a signature tower like Compass teased about a while back. They are running out of viable structures to renovate and every week it seems companies are moving downtown from out of the burbs.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ha ha. That's why I don't necessarily care if Mobile has the state's largest building. Something like that would literally stick out and dominate the landscape and not be all that aesthetic IMO, no matter how nice that one structure might or could be. One or two medium sized building just a little taller then the others would be better.

I think once the TJ, Highlands and Pizitz are done, it'll just be a matter of time before a new one is announced - because by then it won't require a new company moving to town or some exiting firm building a signature tower like Compass teased about a while back. They are running out of viable structures to renovate and every week it seems companies are moving downtown from out of the burbs.
I agree with you. Only a matter of time. All of these older buildings that are being renovated are residential. Once there is more demand for office space, a new building will have to go up.

From having lots of friends who work at Compass, I learned that the Compass tower was nixed because of issues with the city. There's probably a lot more to the story but I think the bank got tired of fighting over regulations with the city. Hopefully we have better leadership that will compromise a little more next time plans are on the table.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
From having lots of friends who work at Compass, I learned that the Compass tower was nixed because of issues with the city. There's probably a lot more to the story but I think the bank got tired of fighting over regulations with the city. Hopefully we have better leadership that will compromise a little more next time plans are on the table.
I heard it was just straight up money, and the economy. They toyed with moving to Houston, but that seems to have been tabled for now, maybe they were using that idea as leverage to get the city to just cough up the money for a free building. I just don't think they were in a position to spend that kind of money when the economy is still so delicate right now - but no matter - that's neither here nor there. I'm glad that they are keeping their HQ in Birmingham, even if that sign they have on the Daniel building looks like a banner made at a strip center sign shop.

Something really big would be BCBS moving out of the burbs to downtown and building a signature building, but their campus is so new I'd doubt they'd abandon it. I remember when the Alabama Power building went up, I wondered why they made it that wide format, instead of taller like the others. So that covers the HQs we do have.

However, I just think with a town full of lawyers that a couple of large firms might just chip in to build a midrise full of office space since there are approximately three lawyers for every Birmingham metro citizen around here.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 PM

106 posts, read 162,138 times
One supertall would clash with what we've got going (can't to it in downtown, but one goofy 600-800 ft'er in midtown). Devon Energy Tower in OKC is a prime example of how that idea backfires. Hell, if they would just put up one 300-400 ft'er to fill in the downtown / midtown gap I'd be thrilled. Best case scenario, one 400 ft'er in that gap, and if they'd put one, JUST ONE, 500+ in the cbd, I'd spend the rest of my days painting BHM cityscapes and writing thank you letters to the developers. That would solidify some urban canyoning in the cbd, give it much more of an urban atmosphere, and do WONDERS for the skyline's impression from the interstate.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:04 PM

121 posts, read 164,388 times
Tourian , isn't the occupancy rate already at 100% ? I mean come on BHAM midtown is begging for atleast 2 midrises , atleast them both would look good the same height as mobiles. So if your reading this city council lure in 2 more midrises/highrises within midtown. This BIG city needs more to look at on I65/I20-59. Lol

Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205Bhamurbanite View Post
Tourian , isn't the occupancy rate already at 100% ? I mean come on BHAM midtown is begging for atleast 2 midrises , atleast them both would look good the same height as mobiles. So if your reading this city council lure in 2 more midrises/highrises within midtown. This BIG city needs more to look at on I65/I20-59. Lol
I keep hearing that it is in the 90s at least for both residential and office space. But I think that only includes space that is up and available to lease right now. In other words, if the TJ were completely renovated today, it would add to available unleased inventory. There's still a few more projects not finished that will add to this availability and the demand for them is quite high, but not quite there for a new tower yet since there are other properties that are empty and not ready for use.

It makes more sense, right now, for a developer to take a smaller bite by finding an old structure and grabbing up those Historical Tax credits and/or HUD money, rather then to buy a whole block and build something brand new. But its getting to a point where all the good "old" stuff is spoken for.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 PM

106 posts, read 162,138 times
This is just for fun, but I shopped together what an all-AL skyline would look like - all of our state's tall buildings in one shot. It does underscore the point that Bham needs a filler tower.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
We're in a similar situation over here in Jax. Could use plenty of mid rises to fill in the skyline definitely no demand for a super tall, which would probably stick out oddly.

There are some differences...we have a couple really tall buildings, while you guys probably have better occupancy, but I personally think that in both our cases we should focus on infill/density over height of a few buildings. Give me several blocks of active low rises rather than one skyscraper any day. Skylines are nice but I think for cities in our position the vibrancy and walkability is worth a lot more than one or two dots in the horizon.

Anyway, just my .2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area