Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in Chelsea that could tell me about it? We are moving from Ohio. I'm looking for a family-friendly community that offers shopping, fitness centers (that offer childcare), parks, playgrounds, rec sports for the kids, etc... My big concern is that I would have to drive 20-30 minutes into Hoover for everything. Is that true? I've liked houses in Chelsea Park and Courtyard Manor. What are those neighborhoods like? Can you recommend other neighborhoods-- esp ones with community pools? I will be staying home with two toddler boys and I'd like to have lots of other kids around and activities for us locally. Thanks for the advice in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apadurean View Post
Does anyone live in Chelsea that could tell me about it? We are moving from Ohio. I'm looking for a family-friendly community that offers shopping, fitness centers (that offer childcare), parks, playgrounds, rec sports for the kids, etc... My big concern is that I would have to drive 20-30 minutes into Hoover for everything. Is that true? I've liked houses in Chelsea Park and Courtyard Manor. What are those neighborhoods like? Can you recommend other neighborhoods-- esp ones with community pools? I will be staying home with two toddler boys and I'd like to have lots of other kids around and activities for us locally. Thanks for the advice in advance!
I don't live in Chelsea but have house shopped there and have spent a reasonable amount of time there, so take this advice with that min mind.

Depends on what kind of shopping you are talking about. Virtually everything you'd probably want is out on Highway 280. There is a decent amount in Chelsea itself, but a bunch more along the 280 corridor between Chelsea and Interstate 459. You certainly wouldn't need to go to Hoover particularly often.

Chelsea Park is a huge subdivision that is very family friendly. Homes from like 1000 square feet to 4000+. It is a master planned community so it has parks, sidewalks, small lakes, etc. throughout. I'm not sure about a community pool but I imagine there probably is. Chelsea definitely has rec sports for kids. There is a Gold's Gym at the intersection of 459 and 280 and a Lifetime Fitness near the intersection of Cahaba River Road and Acton Road. Both of these are probably about 15 minutes away from Chelsea. Those are just the two huge gyms that I know of; There are probably smaller fitness places closer than that.

Also, Chelsea is growing so it becomes more and more self-sufficient every year.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 PM

Thanks Steve! That's very helpful.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Steve has given you good advice, but I think your happiness will have a great deal to do with the following:

1) How far you'll commute to work every day.
2) How much you like amenities such as non-chain restaurants, the performing arts, etc.
3) How much you like traffic.

Mind you, I'm NOT knocking Chelsea. But it's important to know that, due to Birmingham's mountainous terrain, there's only one artery from Chelsea to downtown, namely down 280. So if you go anywhere, you'll be spending a lot of time on that road. Further, it's pretty much the exurbs. So while there are plenty of places to shop and eat, it's mostly chains without a lot of local character.

I would offer that you likely need to try the commute on for size before you buy. A colleague of mine bought a house out in Chelsea and found his commute was averaging 60-80 minutes a day to Homewood. And God help him if there was a big traffic accident. He and his wife threw in the towel and moved to Cahaba Heights and are much happier now. On the other hand, I know people who live out in Chelsea and love it.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 AM

152 posts, read 283,574 times
There is no pool in Chelsea Park which really surprised us with the size of the neighborhood. We have looked there several times and as of right now there isn't one. To us, it is the only thing missing from the family friendly neighborhood.

I know a lot of people talk about the commute out of Chelsea, but if you work from home I think it is a lovely community with a bright future.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We ended up buying in Hoover instead.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM

109 posts, read 144,785 times
Congratulations! I for one would be interested to hear your thoughts on Hoover versus Ohio in time. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM

946 posts, read 776,366 times
Family friendly was mentioned so many times in this thread I just wonder what a non-family friendly neighborhood is? Can anybody name even one? That term is way overused.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
High crime, bad schools, no/few sidewalks, few amenities like clean parks, libraries, pools etc. Less easy access to shopping and grocery stores.

All those are qualities I would consider as non-family friendly. And it doesn't take much imagination to figure out where those places are.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,039 times
To me, family-friendly means there are lots of people in the area with kids 18 yrs & younger, as opposed to mostly-retires, or mostly young single people, or mostly adults with no kids or grown kids.

If you are in a "family friendly" area by my loose interpretation, you can roll up to a local restaurant in your minivan w/all your kids and walk in, no one will give it a 2nd thought. But if you're in an area of, say, young singles or retirees and you do the same thing, you'll hear the needle scratch over the record as everyone turns to stare at you as though you have two heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area