Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

It begins.

Construction to start on 20/59 bridge in downtown Birmingham - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
Birmingham's Brasfield & Gorrie has been awarded the $7.4 million contract for phase one of the project, with bids for the remaining phases coming at a later date.
Phase one will begin in the coming weeks, the release said and will involve widening the roads and elevating certain bridges in preparation for the larger project coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Sadly, I don't think this will be done before the World games.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:44 PM

At least they are cognizant of the need to claim it will be done by then...

I-20/59 bridge replacement to start soon; work should take 4 years | AL.com

Quote:
Work to replace the bridges of Interstate 20/59 through downtown Birmingham will start soon, last about four years and cost about $420 million, the Alabama Department of Transportation announced Wednesday.
When the three-phase project is finished, the aging bridge that carries I-20/59 through downtown Birmingham and its access bridges will be replaced. In the process, two access points to I-20/59 downtown -- at 18th Street and at 22nd Street -- will be eliminated.
As long as they work night and day like they did when the tanker exploded, it could happen. But it can not be an on again off again, the plans are right affair like the 22 interchange has been. There's got to be a monetary incentive to finish early.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
The part that confused me was phase III... a project that is supposed to replace all of the bridges between Red Mountain Expressway and 65... is supposed to take just one year? There's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Maybe I am misunderstanding the phases, but phase I seems like Malfunction Junction prep work, phase II seems like replacing a lot of the bridges at Malfunction Junction, and phase III, well... it just sounds like a lot to do in a year:

Quote:
The third phase will involve the replacement of bridges at the interchange between I-20/59 and Red Mountain Expressway, or U.S. 31 and U.S. 280. It will also involve the replacement of the bridges that carry I-20/59 through downtown.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:02 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,338,008 times
Phases I/II both address prepping and adding new north/south flyovers connecting to I-65. (these will take traffic over the current interchange and will affect it marginally during construction)

The actual tearing down of I-59/20 is not time consuming, in fact it may be imploded where feasible. There is no major grading or ground prep such as we have seen at I-22. (no rock to blast and move) Building a new road way in an existing road bed is not a challenging feet for most qualified companies. Especially when one realizes that most road components are being built off sight as well as the fact that less than 1/3 of the pylons there now will be replaced.
The new technology and the prepped sight make this very different. It can't be compared to new constructions and certainly the difficult challenge of I-22.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,913 times
If they can't give us one of the "better alternatives," which I'm not completely sold on anyway, what if they made the new bridge some kind of feature? Would people be ok if this new bridge added some type of architectural significance to downtown? Would the bridge still be hated? What if the bridge could become some type of landmark? I know that may be unconventional if it's not crossing over water. Maybe some kind of arch? Or some kind of statues welcoming people into the city? I just think, at this point, an alternative isn't feasible. Why not turn lemons into lemonade? Maybe we should start fighting for something else.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:47 AM

I don't think they want to explore that option because they know they will eventually have to move it. These bridges will only last 30 years or less I think based on the volume of cars expected. And cost is always an issue. ALDOT just doesn't have the money. Imagine the uproar from the other metros if we made it some fancy suspension bridge or put some ornate carvings up when they can't get any of even the most basic projects going in their cities? We have all of ALDOT's attention right now with 22, the 20/59 bridges, 422, repaving 65, widening 65 all ongoing or on the table.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:53 AM

401 posts, read 536,719 times
You all will have to excuse me for being a dumbass, but can anyone enumerate what in these phases entail? Bullet point what this thing is supposed to look like / accomplish?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 AM

I think they are doing the "end" first. The junction has to be raised and widened. The new bridges will be taller and have more lanes so the junction has to be raised and lanes added to link up.

I think phase 2 is building the bridges themselves.

I think phase 3 is raising the spaghetti/RME/280/31 so that is can match up.

Preguntas explained it better above.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 AM

522 posts, read 847,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't think they want to explore that option because they know they will eventually have to move it. These bridges will only last 30 years or less I think based on the volume of cars expected. And cost is always an issue. ALDOT just doesn't have the money. Imagine the uproar from the other metros if we made it some fancy suspension bridge or put some ornate carvings up when they can't get any of even the most basic projects going in their cities? We have all of ALDOT's attention right now with 22, the 20/59 bridges, 422, repaving 65, widening 65 all ongoing or on the table.
Yeah, we have ALDOTs attention, but not completely for all of our needs. When are they going to work out 65 between downtown and Hoover? One more lane, in both directions, and paving is all we need right folks. The work to be done in Shelby Co., more important than this section? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area