Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,884,345 times

Advertisements

I haven't been keeping up with this as I probably should of been, but it seems like from what I've read that Birmingham and Tuscaloosa have been doing everything possible to keep ride sharing companies out.

In this economy I would think that as much as our elected officials talk about having less regulations for businesses, etc we would welcome these companies in with open arms.

This should be a case where govt either needs to adapt or get out of the way.IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 AM

42 posts, read 61,095 times
The big problem "politicians" have with Uber is Liability insurance. The drivers personal insurance policy is the policy that will be used first if he is involved in a accident with you in the car. Ubers 1 million dollar policy will only be used if the driver activates the app. Once the app is activated, Ubers insurance policy gos into effect BUT the driver also has to pay a percentage of the fare to Uber. A lot of drivers do not activate the app, so they do not have to pay Uber.

How many people do you think driving for Uber are capable of carrying a million dollar auto policy on there 94 Toyota?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
Uber doesn't add anything to local economies. Revenue from taxi fees does. The mayor might have to lay off a couple of his hundred assistants and sycophants without that revenue.

Personally, I dislike the idea of Uber in many ways. See what Uber drivers say when they are anonymous or "fired" to see some of my reasons.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,573,303 times
It WAS a good idea when it was underground and not run for primarily big company profit motives. When it was a cheap way to get a ride quickly, with all the risk assumed by the rider, for a small cheap fare, it worked.

But when it became a big corporate profit driver, all that insurance and lawyer-speak had to be implemented, and it doesn't work anymore.

back to life as usual. Uber is like Bon Iver: a great idea with good intentions, but when asked to be in the spotlight, it just doesn't translate.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,784,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy615 View Post
The big problem "politicians" have with Uber is Liability insurance. The drivers personal insurance policy is the policy that will be used first if he is involved in a accident with you in the car. Ubers 1 million dollar policy will only be used if the driver activates the app. Once the app is activated, Ubers insurance policy gos into effect BUT the driver also has to pay a percentage of the fare to Uber. A lot of drivers do not activate the app, so they do not have to pay Uber.

How many people do you think driving for Uber are capable of carrying a million dollar auto policy on there 94 Toyota?
94 Toyota? Uber cars have to be much, much, much newer than this. In many cases 2006 and newer; Even for "luxury" brands, 2005 or newer. I had to file a petition to have my car (a mid 2000s Acura with under 100k miles) approved. Had to include pictures of the interior, exterior, etc.

Uber does have its issues. But from my experience thus far, it is far better than taxi services I have used (faster and cheaper... and really, that's about the only 2 things that matter to me when I use a taxi service).

Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,784,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M E H View Post
I think it is a great idea that works in large cities like San Fran or Atlanta. I think Birmingham is on the cusp and over time it will be wildly successful.
Birmingham is more than on the cusp. I've used Uber in both Kansas City, MO, and Auburn, AL, and neither city had a shortage of drivers or riders.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,809,890 times
But is it vital to the progressiveness or vitality or vibrancy of the city core? Will we be able to move up a t..ti.... I can't say it. That word that is a homophone for one drop of liquid when you cry.

But seriously, there seems to be a lot of pushback and discussion going on around this company being able to operate here.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Uber doesn't add anything to local economies. Revenue from taxi fees does. The mayor might have to lay off a couple of his hundred assistants and sycophants without that revenue.

Personally, I dislike the idea of Uber in many ways. See what Uber drivers say when they are anonymous or "fired" to see some of my reasons.
I've never used it personally, but I've heard some good reviews from people who have.

My big thing is that local politicians are being hypocritical (shocking I know) by preaching about being pro business, but at the same time basically running off businesses that would actually bring more options for getting around in a place with limited transportation options.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
But is it vital to the progressiveness or vitality or vibrancy of the city core? Will we be able to move up a t..ti.... I can't say it. That word that is a homophone for one drop of liquid when you cry.

But seriously, there seems to be a lot of pushback and discussion going on around this company being able to operate here.
Actually yes, to answer your first question, but it won't propel Bham to a higher tier..lol.

I do think letting Uber operate would at least signal that city govt at least has it head in the 21st century, and its trying to attract that highly coveted 21-34 demographic.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,809,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I do think letting Uber operate would at least signal that city govt at least has it head in the 21st century, and its trying to attract that highly coveted 21-34 demographic.
Why are 21-34 year olds so opposed to picking up a phone and/or hailing a cab from the street? OR, if not opposed, so much more enamored with using their smartphones SO MUCH that they would automatically pick this service over a traditional cab? I'm guessing the answer is just that. Using an ap is cool and the old way is just old.

I get how this service is "working" and operating in other larger cities with more public transportation options, but is this city ready to unleash what is obviously a big threat to the profitability of conventional cab companies - loose in the market? There aren't that many fares to chase, it would be different, I think if DT was as thick and vibrant as we want it to be - that we are heading towards, but I just don't think the regular cabs can survive the hit when it is obvious Uber has less overhead and doesn't have to play by the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area