Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:18 AM

508 posts, read 616,300 times

Advertisements

They're talking out of their neck. I've lived in New Jersey, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Alabama is not nearly as backwards as these people make it out to be. In fact, between Philadelphia, Orlando, Atlanta, and Birmingham.....I'd say Birmingham is only behind Atlanta and Philadelphia. Honestly, pound for pound it still isn't too far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Don't feed them. You guys are talking to multi accounters who's only purpose here is to disrupt, derail and spread the false.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:31 PM

154 posts, read 158,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
now you're just being ridiculous... i can't name a single person i know in birmingham who hasn't traveled out of the state.

did you mean the States?
No, I mean the state. I will loosely define it to include panama city and starkville MS because those cities are less than an hour from our state line. It does amaze me how down to earth and happy they seem to be compared to some of us that have been all over the world... you see how snarky some can get when it opposes their view of the world... have to admit I am guilty of it too!!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:24 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
I think he is using hyperbole, but isn't totally off-base.

There is no way any reasonable person who has visited thriving cities could possibly confuse Birmingham as one.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:07 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I think as long as a multi accounter pot stirrer posts something you like to hear, you'll make excuses for him no matter what he says. There is no way any reasonable person could say he or she has met enough people from a city to make such a conclusion or that their family's behavior is any way representative of the rest of the population here. But hey, as long as they tag it with something along the lines of...like "NYC is bigger than the Bham" then they get a pass, right?

If he were Magiccity17 or whatever, you'd be all over him calling him out.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ellington View Post
No, I mean the state. I will loosely define it to include panama city and starkville MS because those cities are less than an hour from our state line. It does amaze me how down to earth and happy they seem to be compared to some of us that have been all over the world... you see how snarky some can get when it opposes their view of the world... have to admit I am guilty of it too!!
Maybe for the older generation; but do you honestly believe that millennials don't constantly travel on a daily basis? It's 2016, not 1965. Kids are going off to school, People have families in various locations, there's things going on all around the country, etc. I honestly can't name one friend who's never traveled out of the State.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think as long as a multi accounter pot stirrer posts something you like to hear, you'll make excuses for him no matter what he says. There is no way any reasonable person could say he or she has met enough people from a city to make such a conclusion or that their family's behavior is any way representative of the rest of the population here. But hey, as long as they tag it with something along the lines of...like "NYC is bigger than the Bham" then they get a pass, right?

If he were Magiccity17 or whatever, you'd be all over him calling him out.

It is so time saving and convenient for me that you so often post responses that I would have posted.

Thanks for that.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 AM

154 posts, read 158,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I think he is using hyperbole, but isn't totally off-base.

There is no way any reasonable person who has visited thriving cities could possibly confuse Birmingham as one.
LOL and good point. some of these guys/gals are not exactly reasonable.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyMonkeybaby View Post
I would like to know from the locals who like to post here about Birmingham, who here has lived (NOT visited) in which OTHER cities than just Birmingham ?? and for HOW LONG ??

I have discovered that MOST knowitalls in Birmingham have NOT lived in multiple cities (outside the south especially) in their entire adult lives ! The strange thing is these knowitalls enjoy popping off at the mouth about the alleged competitiveness/stature of Birmingham in the context of clearly more progressive environments when their point of reference is confined to exactly ONE place of residence. Odd.

So let's hear where you've lived BESIDES Birmingham ! what states and cities ?

I'll just mention a few starting with : Atlanta (suburb), Chicago (suburb), SeaTac, San Diego (suburb), Dallas (suburb), MandevilleLA, Little Rock, AR (westside), Springfield MA, Montreal (city), Tampa-St Pete-Clwtr Beach, SWFL, Boca, Des Moines. Again, that's just a few - my own experience in the United States. So what.

I have, however, met many people in Birmingham who have not even been to the state's capital, Montgomery...and not to mention Huntsville ! I was similarly shocked with the vast numbers of Memphis residents that have never been to the state's capital ,Nashville but who ritualistically travel to Destin FL every damn hotazz summer, every damn year, and every same month, (which I found as idiocy).

So what's in YOUR wallet?

PMB

you may have mentioned it already, but where do you live currently?

impressive list... you won't find many people ANYWHERE that have lived in 12+ different cities. military?

Pensacola, Charleston, Huntsville, Starkville, Nashville and Birmingham for me.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM

508 posts, read 616,300 times
Birmingham, Orlando, Atlanta, and the New Jersey side of Philadelphia for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area