Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 02:41 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,177,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
If you name all of those places as entertainment districts, should you just name the entire city (outside of completely residential areas) one?
I was just taking a guess at naming ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 03:37 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,241,979 times
It’s official — Oak Mountain State Park is now 1644 acres larger

"The land—a 1,644-acre tract known as the Belcher Property—expands Oak Mountain State Park to more than 11,000 acres and preserves a rare mountain longleaf pine forest, near the Greystone and Chelsea communities."

Old 04-16-2022, 12:59 AM

Birmingham name on a digital billboard in Time Square New York City.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false

Old 04-16-2022, 05:24 PM

8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Birmingham name on a digital billboard in Time Square New York City.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false
Are people excited about this? Seems like a pretty big deal for Birmingham. I will be watching the game tonight hope they give props to the city.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,241,979 times
definitely a pretty big deal for birmingham, and the city is excited. whether or not it's a big deal for the rest of the country remains to be seen (much like the World Games).

Old 04-17-2022, 07:32 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,908,824 times
This IS a very big deal for B'ham, a city that is perennially in the shadow of Atlanta and Charlotte! I watched the whole game on TV last night and was pleasantly surprised at how well-played and exciting it was!! I'm a Washington Redskins (not Commanders to me) fan and both of these newly formed teams played better than I've seen the 'Skins play on occasion!

Old 04-17-2022, 08:33 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
This IS a very big deal for B'ham, a city that is perennially in the shadow of Atlanta and Charlotte! I watched the whole game on TV last night and was pleasantly surprised at how well-played and exciting it was!! I'm a Washington Redskins (not Commanders to me) fan and both of these newly formed teams played better than I've seen the 'Skins play on occasion!

C'mon down and see a bunch of games for next to nothing. I think $10 gets you in for the day. Great guys' weekend.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:43 PM

1,019 posts, read 644,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
C'mon down and see a bunch of games for next to nothing. I think $10 gets you in for the day. Great guys' weekend.
Letting the kiddos in free is great too. But yeah, for 10 bucks a head, you could sit there and watch two games if you wanted.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:12 PM

69 posts, read 70,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirksDentley View Post
I wish that many cities, including Birmingham would pay more attention to, and put more time and resources into education and crime fighting - or at least as much as these cities put into "football" and BBQ. Salvation for cities is found in education, foundational values/family, and jobs, not necessarily entertainment. Entertainment can provide a few jobs for sure, but it seems like putting the cart before the horse in my opinion.

There are very good reasons/explanations why Birmingham " is perennially in the shadow of Atlanta and Charlotte!" (as a poster previously asserted). It's not an enigma/mystery.

Glad to see it.
It took Birmingham 50+ years to get out from under the stench of Bull Connor and the city’s annus horribilis - 1963. That’s probably the main thing that has held Birmingham back. People from elsewhere still see Birmingham has “Bombingham” from the grey and white pages of their history books and not as a modern, 21st century city. Birmingham tried to recruit everything from major companies to pro sports teams in the 70s and 80s when it was still considerably larger than Charlotte and Nashville, but that stigma was still something else. Over the last 10 or so years though, Birmingham has entered a resurgence not really seen at this level before and people from outside of Alabama are finally starting to catch on. Albeit still kinda limited, the state government is starting to work WITH Birmingham and not against the city. Seeing Governor Ivey and the legislature so invested in the success of Birmingham projects such as the World Games, USFL, Protective Stadium, Legacy Arena etc… 20-30 years ago, this was not the case.

Old 04-17-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmullen99 View Post
It took Birmingham 50+ years to get out from under the stench of Bull Connor and the city’s annus horribilis - 1963. That’s probably the main thing that has held Birmingham back. People from elsewhere still see Birmingham has “Bombingham” from the grey and white pages of their history books and not as a modern, 21st century city. Birmingham tried to recruit everything from major companies to pro sports teams in the 70s and 80s when it was still considerably larger than Charlotte and Nashville, but that stigma was still something else. Over the last 10 or so years though, Birmingham has entered a resurgence not really seen at this level before and people from outside of Alabama are finally starting to catch on. Albeit still kinda limited, the state government is starting to work WITH Birmingham and not against the city. Seeing Governor Ivey and the legislature so invested in the success of Birmingham projects such as the World Games, USFL, Protective Stadium, Legacy Arena etc… 20-30 years ago, this was not the case.
Nah. Don't be fooled. It's all photo op for her. She just doing what's she told to save face from looking like she don't care, which she and the alabama government don't actually do. This is the same governor who turnt down going to Selma for Bloody Sunday anniversary to walk with the VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to go to a cattle convention in Mobile. Everything happening in Birmingham is because of local officials and community peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area