Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:27 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Those polls are so deceiving. I was reading the BBJ today and they were spewing the same dumb propaganda. They are saying the Birmingham metro isn't growing as fast as HSV or the others. Well, to keep the same percentage of 1.1 million people is hard to do! Especially when compared to HSV at 300K. So, pay that crap no mind. The B'ham metro is growing just like any other city. All the growth is just in the good areas, and not the bad.

I get what you're trying to say, but just look to Nashville, Atlanta, Austin, etc... all bigger metro areas and all still growing much faster than Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I get what you're trying to say, but just look to Nashville, Atlanta, Austin, etc... all bigger metro areas and all still growing much faster than Birmingham.
Yeah compared to those cities, yes, we are lagging. I mean, those cities are pretty awesome too, for the most part (except for Atlanta, they are just BIG). I was more talking instate.

I look at it this way. Wiki says BHM metro grew at 1.56% from 2010-2015 and HSV metro grew at 6.50%. It appears that HSV outpaced BHM by a large margin, but in actuality, considering the sizes of the population, BHM added 17,600 people and HSV added 27,159. Is that really a beat down? Then, they break it down even further, and in the fine print they are actually talking about city limits, and in BHM, that's a small population that is declining. In HSV, they are big and spread out, so it inflates those numbers.

There are so many ways to look at stats, and get them to say whatever you want. What I gather from above, is that HSV is doing something better than BHM to possess that per capita rate. However, BHM is in no real danger of collapse either. Far from it.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM

946 posts, read 776,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Yeah compared to those cities, yes, we are lagging. I mean, those cities are pretty awesome too, for the most part (except for Atlanta, they are just BIG). I was more talking instate.

I look at it this way. Wiki says BHM metro grew at 1.56% from 2010-2015 and HSV metro grew at 6.50%. It appears that HSV outpaced BHM by a large margin, but in actuality, considering the sizes of the population, BHM added 17,600 people and HSV added 27,159. Is that really a beat down? Then, they break it down even further, and in the fine print they are actually talking about city limits, and in BHM, that's a small population that is declining. In HSV, they are big and spread out, so it inflates those numbers.

There are so many ways to look at stats, and get them to say whatever you want. What I gather from above, is that HSV is doing something better than BHM to possess that per capita rate. However, BHM is in no real danger of collapse either. Far from it.
It's interesting to me that you can look at population growth as a positive. I understand if you are city of 10,000. But a city of 250,000-300,000 (which will never be 1 million), it really doesn't bother me that more are moving to Huntsville. Keep B'ham peaceful.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:07 PM

109 posts, read 144,785 times
I always look at the B'ham metro area not just downtown B'ham. The traffic and population surrounding the city to me is what is important. They say it is around 1.1 million but I personally believe this to be totally wrong. It has been 1.1 for years and I believe that what ever group is in charge of the stats are complete incompetents!!

Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSim View Post
I always look at the B'ham metro area not just downtown B'ham. The traffic and population surrounding the city to me is what is important. They say it is around 1.1 million but I personally believe this to be totally wrong. It has been 1.1 for years and I believe that what ever group is in charge of the stats are complete incompetents!!
I though I might be off about the amount. I guess I meant that 1,000,000 will never be 2,000,000. For all metro. Or at least we will not be around.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Huntsville/Madison are growing at an unhealthy rate. It's hard for the schools, fire, police, streets etc to keep up.
Slow growth is much better than fast. With gast growth you get a lag in public services, as well as pockets of decay as people and businesses rapidly move to the outer or newer areas.
Remember that after 2008, Birmingham lost a LOT of businesses, especially in banking. Huntsville, not nearly as much.
I think Birmingham is doing quite well.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I though I might be off about the amount. I guess I meant that 1,000,000 will never be 2,000,000. For all metro. Or at least we will not be around.

I seriously doubt the MSA will get to 2M while any of us are alive, either, however I do think the 2020 number should be a significant jump over the ~1.1X number it has hovered around since 2010. There does seem to be a whole lot more traffic and congestion, larger classes at the schools, etc that indicate that the area has been steadily growing faster than the estimates they put out each year.

The CSA, OTOH, might get reasonably close to that number.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:03 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I seriously doubt the MSA will get to 2M while any of us are alive, either, however I do think the 2020 number should be a significant jump over the ~1.1X number it has hovered around since 2010. There does seem to be a whole lot more traffic and congestion, larger classes at the schools, etc that indicate that the area has been steadily growing faster than the estimates they put out each year.

The CSA, OTOH, might get reasonably close to that number.
While I wish you were correct, I think things like traffic and such are poor indicators. That just means more people are living in the desirable areas. I remember when malfunction junction and through downtown used to be crazy. Now, not so much. And yes that is after it was expanded some years back. People are moving to Crestwood, Homewood, Vestavia like crazy. But people are leaving Tarrant, West End, and Center Point just as quickly. Shades Valley High had 300 more students 10 years ago than it does now. Midfield, Fairfield, etc. are all losing population.

And this is all because of this: http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ob-growth.html

Old 11-14-2016, 03:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
You are right, however that study runs from 06-16. The first few years were ugly and no we havent added back what we lost as far as jobs are concerned. But i do think in the past few years the metro has grown faster than the census estimates would indicate.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
While I wish you were correct, I think things like traffic and such are poor indicators. That just means more people are living in the desirable areas. I remember when malfunction junction and through downtown used to be crazy. Now, not so much. And yes that is after it was expanded some years back. People are moving to Crestwood, Homewood, Vestavia like crazy. But people are leaving Tarrant, West End, and Center Point just as quickly. Shades Valley High had 300 more students 10 years ago than it does now. Midfield, Fairfield, etc. are all losing population.

And this is all because of this: http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ob-growth.html
I couldn't agree with you more on this comment. There is a Google maps function on my phone that shows traffic congestion. I've checked it between 7-8 AM several times and there is hardly ever any congestion around malfunction junction or Hwy 280. The heaviest congestion is Hwy 261 and I65 in Shelby County. But yet ALDOT spends 75% of it's time working on those areas. I know, I'm getting off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area