Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM

22 posts, read 18,245 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Birmingham and have to do temporary housing until we buy. The relocation company gave us the choice of 150 Summit or Birchall at Ross Bridge. We know that the apartments at the Summit are more convenient to everything and will probably be better for his commute to downtown Birmingham.

We visited the Lake Cyrus area last time we were in town,but, did not turn down Ross Bridge Parkway so I am not sure how far back the apartments are, but on the map, they seem pretty far.

I've looked up reviews of both and read positive as well as negative. I was hoping someone on this forum would be familiar or even know someone who has lived in one and could provide insight. I'm hoping we will not be there more than a month. We do have two children ages 9 and 4. We have to make a decision this weekend.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 01:53 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
I've been there several times, and have seen apartments but I don't remember where they were. It's a super nice area.

If you guys play golf, choose the Ross Bridge option.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've been there several times, and have seen apartments but I don't remember where they were. It's a super nice area.

If you guys play golf, choose the Ross Bridge option.
RocketDawg are you talking about the Summit being a nice area or Ross Bridge?

We don't play golf, though we do currently live in a golf course community LOL

Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Ross Bridge is nice and you won't have the slog down 280. The Summit is okay and convenient to shopping.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Ross Bridge is nice and you won't have the slog down 280. The Summit is okay and convenient to shopping.
Minivan Driver,
Do you think that Birchall at Ross Bridge is too far out of the way for newcomers to the area? My husband will likely be very busy with work, so the kids and I will have a lot of time to explore. We have yet to sell our home here in KY and could stay but prefer to all be in one are which is why we are doing temporary housing.

We particularly liked the Greystone Farms area and areas off of that main road (I cannot remember the name)...I know Summit is closer to that so that would give us the benefit of learning the area. I do worry about it being in a busy shopping area though.

I read some bad reviews about the Summit having a bug problem. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emhensley View Post
Minivan Driver,
Do you think that Birchall at Ross Bridge is too far out of the way for newcomers to the area? My husband will likely be very busy with work, so the kids and I will have a lot of time to explore. We have yet to sell our home here in KY and could stay but prefer to all be in one are which is why we are doing temporary housing.

We particularly liked the Greystone Farms area and areas off of that main road (I cannot remember the name)...I know Summit is closer to that so that would give us the benefit of learning the area. I do worry about it being in a busy shopping area though.

I read some bad reviews about the Summit having a bug problem. Has anyone else heard anything like that?
Sorry. Brain fart. Summit at 150 is what threw me off. I was thinking highway 150. I guess I saw Greystone and assumed it was down 280.

A lot depends on two factors:

1) Where in town your husband will be working and...
2) How long you expect to be in an apartment, what with school systems and all.

If your husband is working downtown, I think either location for an apartment would be fine, actually. I haven't really heard anything bad about the Summit, unless you have big problems living cheek-to-jowl with an upscale shopping center. That area is convenient to just about every part of the city. But Birchall at Ross Bridge, while a longer commute, will have less traffic. So there's a tradeoff.

I'm kind of the opinion that you can put up with anything for a couple of months. If so, the Summit would get the nod from me. Plus, given my druthers, I'd rather have my kids in either Vestavia or Mountain Brook schools than Hoover schools. Hoover isn't bad. In fact, it's pretty good, but I think Vestavia and Mountain Brook edge Hoover out.

A note of caution about Greystone Farms. Nice area, nice homes, and nice people. No question about it. But if your husband is working anywhere close to downtown, it's a hellish commute down one highway. Make sure you drive it before you buy in the area.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry. Brain fart. Summit at 150 is what threw me off. I was thinking highway 150. I guess I saw Greystone and assumed it was down 280.

A lot depends on two factors:

1) Where in town your husband will be working and...
2) How long you expect to be in an apartment, what with school systems and all.

If your husband is working downtown, I think either location for an apartment would be fine, actually. I haven't really heard anything bad about the Summit, unless you have big problems living cheek-to-jowl with an upscale shopping center. That area is convenient to just about every part of the city. But Birchall at Ross Bridge, while a longer commute, will have less traffic. So there's a tradeoff.

I'm kind of the opinion that you can put up with anything for a couple of months. If so, the Summit would get the nod from me. Plus, given my druthers, I'd rather have my kids in either Vestavia or Mountain Brook schools than Hoover schools. Hoover isn't bad. In fact, it's pretty good, but I think Vestavia and Mountain Brook edge Hoover out.

A note of caution about Greystone Farms. Nice area, nice homes, and nice people. No question about it. But if your husband is working anywhere close to downtown, it's a hellish commute down one highway. Make sure you drive it before you buy in the area.
Thank you! He will be working downtown next to UAB, off of South 22nd Street, maybe? He's heard that if we live somewhere that 280 is the only option then during commute times he will have a LONG drive. The summit apartments are right behind the shopping center and 280 would be his only way to work. Though it is convenient I am afraid it might be too busy to handle with the kids, so it looks like we will do Ross Bridge. At least that way, we can decide if we want to live that far out when we buy.

We've looked at the Trace Crossings neighborhood in Hoover, Lake Cyrus, Greystone Farms, Eagle Point and thought about Lake Highlands but have yet to actually look at a house or drive over. We'd love to be closer and were told Mountain Brook is great, however, money doesn't go as far there and we aren't willing to sacrifice space.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you! He will be working downtown next to UAB, off of South 22nd Street, maybe? He's heard that if we live somewhere that 280 is the only option then during commute times he will have a LONG drive. The summit apartments are right behind the shopping center and 280 would be his only way to work. Though it is convenient I am afraid it might be too busy to handle with the kids, so it looks like we will do Ross Bridge. At least that way, we can decide if we want to live that far out when we buy.

We've looked at the Trace Crossings neighborhood in Hoover, Lake Cyrus, Greystone Farms, Eagle Point and thought about Lake Highlands but have yet to actually look at a house or drive over. We'd love to be closer and were told Mountain Brook is great, however, money doesn't go as far there and we aren't willing to sacrifice space.

Thank you so much for your help!
280 at the Summit isn't a bad commute at all. I wouldn't do it, but plenty of people do. Meanwhile, those additional 6.7 miles to Greystone Farms are the commuter's equivalent of the fifth circle of Hell. Just trust me on this.

If your husband works downtown, then I would really do your level best to live within the circumference of 459. If you're concerned with price, I would offer that the Cahaba Heights area is worth a look. It's right next to the Summit, convenient to just about everything, zoned for Vestavia and Mountain Brook schools, and a relatively easy commute to downtown. I even found houses that are in a pretty reasonable price range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...26_rect/13_zm/

Old 06-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
280 at the Summit isn't a bad commute at all. I wouldn't do it, but plenty of people do. Meanwhile, those additional 6.7 miles to Greystone Farms are the commuter's equivalent of the fifth circle of Hell. Just trust me on this.

If your husband works downtown, then I would really do your level best to live within the circumference of 459. If you're concerned with price, I would offer that the Cahaba Heights area is worth a look. It's right next to the Summit, convenient to just about everything, zoned for Vestavia and Mountain Brook schools, and a relatively easy commute to downtown. I even found houses that are in a pretty reasonable price range:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...26_rect/13_zm/
You're killing my hopes here! HA I love that area but I certainly don't want him to be miserable driving everyday and lose time. I will be working next year (I'm a teacher) but will be staying home this year due to logistics of the move. We are looking up to 450,000 but prefer not to spend over 400,000 so most of those homes do fit within the budget. We will continue to look and explore once we are in town! Thanks again for being so helpful!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You're killing my hopes here! HA I love that area but I certainly don't want him to be miserable driving everyday and lose time. I will be working next year (I'm a teacher) but will be staying home this year due to logistics of the move. We are looking up to 450,000 but prefer not to spend over 400,000 so most of those homes do fit within the budget. We will continue to look and explore once we are in town! Thanks again for being so helpful!
You're welcome. When you move here, please stick with the board and help others with good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area