Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM

123 posts, read 867,246 times

Advertisements

hey,

I have a friend who wants to meet up in Birmingham, AL. We've never been there and we don't know where to stay. What is the safest area for a tourist?

Since I want to stay a little longer than my friend, I would like to know a safe spot for a single woman to be. I might just want to be in a decent hotel to relax in and write all day with a few good eats around the way. Don't need big entertainment.

1.) What area do you suggest?

2.) Would I need a car in Birmingham or are things in walking distance?

3.) What areas should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
hey,

I have a friend who wants to meet up in Birmingham, AL. We've never been there and we don't know where to stay. What is the safest area for a tourist?

Since I want to stay a little longer than my friend, I would like to know a safe spot for a single woman to be. I might just want to be in a decent hotel to relax in and write all day with a few good eats around the way. Don't need big entertainment.

1.) What area do you suggest?

2.) Would I need a car in Birmingham or are things in walking distance?

3.) What areas should I avoid?
There's a Courtyard by Marriott in Homewood that I like and feel safe at. There are also a few hotels in the Hwy 280/I-459 area, near the Summit. B'ham REALLY need some more hotels.
You will need a car to get around.
Avoid north Birmingham. Downtown north of the railroad tracks is OK during daylight hours. Use your head and you'll be fine!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Highlands Hotel in the middle of Five Points is great. Really great. You're in the middle of the restaurant and club district. The Highland Hotel - Birmingham, AL

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 PM

24 posts, read 77,739 times
I agree with Hotel Highland. Great location and recently renovated with awesome atmosphere. It's hard to get around Birmingham without a car.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

136 posts, read 596,075 times
Hotel Highland would be your spot. Its in the middle of 5 points which is a mix of nightlife, entertainment, restaurants, and etc...Try Sunday brunch at 5 points grill

Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM

123 posts, read 867,246 times
Thanks . What is the 5 points? And where is Hotel HIghland? Also I really like that Courtyard Idea. Where's it? Central Bham, Homewood? anywhere near Inverness?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Thanks . What is the 5 points? And where is Hotel HIghland? Also I really like that Courtyard Idea. Where's it? Central Bham, Homewood? anywhere near Inverness?
5 Points is in what's called Southside. It's an area with nightclubs, restaurants, and it's close to UAB and just south of downtown. It's fairly safe...use your head after dark. There is a park across the street that my son says is know for the homeless people who hang out there, especially after dark (son lives in Southside).
Courtyard - the one I'm thinking of is in Homewood, across the street from Brookwood Mall. The hotel is surrounded by trees, but very convenient to restaurants. I've stayed there twice and have been pleased with it. The rooms are set up for business, too, so that might help with your writing. It is a bit pricey, and the breakfast is not included.
Inverness is way down Hwy. 280. It's a bit noisier, but plenty of places around for eating and shopping and it's fairly safe.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Stay at the Hotel Highland and don't look back. You'll have a blast.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM

222 posts, read 752,386 times
Default Birmingham

I have a brother in law enforcement (I was too) Birmingham way. He lives in Homewood, and loves the area. It has a nice downtown. Would be my choice to live, if I was moving that way.

5 Points South is a blast, and I agree with the suggestion of the Hotel Highland. Very colorful area. At night, just stay on the main streets, and use your head.

Go see "Vulcan"! It has a great view at night, but best to watch the sun set and then get moving. Area is so-so. The statue is "open-air" now, and if you have a prob with heights like I do, view the city from the ground. It used to have an enclosed viewing area up top, which was far nicer to me. Though the park itself is nicely than the late 90's.

Have fun! Be safe...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM

125 posts, read 208,925 times
Quote:
Very colorful area
That's a relative term. kindafedup appears to be from San Francisco. I bet he finds Birmingham and the 5 Points South to be vanilla, underwhelming, and listless comparatively.

The best we can hope for is that kindafedup is charmed by the hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area