Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

https://alabamanewscenter.com/2018/1...porting-event/

1,000 days away and counting...

Projected to be the 2nd largest sporting event in the SE United States behind the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

3600 athletes

100 different countries represented

Let's us all do our part and make this event an success. I know it will take more outsiders(out of this state) than insiders to come in and help out. Hopefully alabama can put it's hate to the side and cooperate with the city on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
So we are over halfway there to the date that seemed like forever in the future when it was announced...

Anyone want to make a wager with me if we have BRT or the new stadium finished in time for this event?

Old 10-20-2018, 02:39 PM

377 posts, read 340,834 times
This will be fun and I can't wait to see what the influx of international visitors to Birmingham looks like. It will be cool to see that many people riding the BRT to the different venues and learning about Birmingham and Central Alabama as the area gets to show its stuff on the global stage. I might be mistaken but I would bet that the World Games will be the biggest influx of global visitors to Birmingham at one time and I think they will love the city's southern cuisine, and hospitality. As a matter of fact this will probably be the largest movement of international visitors to the state of Alabama! I think that the timeline the city set for the BRT to be done by 2020 and ready for the World Games will be hit. I am wondering about the stadium since it's still in the design phase (overhang please!) and only preliminary site work has happened so far and its almost 2019. I will say that Regions Field opened before it was finished and it was a hit nonetheless. Now its an after thought so we'll see if Uptown Stadium (or whatever cool name it gets) is done in time for the opening ceremonies.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:06 PM

I know birmingham and jefferson county are in full commitment mode as of today to get things accerlated at a quicker pace to get things ready. The question is is the surrounding counties and for that matter the state doing to get ready. The city can only do so much. The state has got to be here and committed to making it a safe and fun event for not only the athletes, but fans as well. This is an international event that is bringing people from all over this world to BIRMINGHAM. We got multi-cultural restuarants and more coming, more hotel rooms coming, infrastructures/transit/streets improving, faculities upgrades and new ones coming about, and entertaiment options in place. I'm sure the state will provide security along with the city and surrounding counties. It's up to us to make everyone who visit and attend the event that has some sort of what they think birmingham is to leave either pleasantly suprised or grateful for the city.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 PM

https://bhamnow.com/2019/11/01/4-rea...-in-july-2021/

https://www.thisisalabama.org/2019/1...nYsTzJb5S9FE1A

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
This is going to be so cool. What about hotel rooms? Are there currently enough? If not, what happens? Like do they build new hotels for this event?

I feel like Atlanta built thousands and thousands of hotel rooms for the Olympics. I always wondered what happened to those after the olympics were over. Did they survive?

How many people are we talking here?

Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM

450 posts, read 336,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
This is going to be so cool. What about hotel rooms? Are there currently enough? If not, what happens? Like do they build new hotels for this event?

I feel like Atlanta built thousands and thousands of hotel rooms for the Olympics. I always wondered what happened to those after the olympics were over. Did they survive?

How many people are we talking here?
There's several hotels under construction/planned around town.

Under construction:

- Hilton Curio in downtown Homewood
- Holiday Inn & Suites on Lakeshore
- Hilton Tapestry downtown (renovation of Commerce Center building on 1st Ave N)
- New hotel off Exit 1 in McCalla

Planned:

- Residence Inn on Hwy 280 near Office Park
- Boutique hotel concept on 1st Ave S across from RR Park
- Boutique hotel off Red Mtn Expressway next to Sirote building
- Hotel planned as part of redevelopment of Sherman concrete plant in Parkside
- New hotel at Stadium Trace Village development in Hoover
- New hotel in Grandview area behind the 280 Marriott

Plus the Sheraton downtown is undergoing a $35M renovation. The Hilton at UAB, Hotel Indigo, and Courtyard by UAB were also recently renovated.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 AM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
There's several hotels under construction/planned around town.

Under construction:

- Hilton Curio in downtown Homewood
- Holiday Inn & Suites on Lakeshore
- Hilton Tapestry downtown (renovation of Commerce Center building on 1st Ave N)
- New hotel off Exit 1 in McCalla

Planned:

- Residence Inn on Hwy 280 near Office Park
- Boutique hotel concept on 1st Ave S across from RR Park
- Boutique hotel off Red Mtn Expressway next to Sirote building
- Hotel planned as part of redevelopment of Sherman concrete plant in Parkside
- New hotel at Stadium Trace Village development in Hoover
- New hotel in Grandview area behind the 280 Marriott

Plus the Sheraton downtown is undergoing a $35M renovation. The Hilton at UAB, Hotel Indigo, and Courtyard by UAB were also recently renovated.
Missed the part about the hotel at the Sherman site. Good to hear!

Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 AM

666 posts, read 516,706 times
That sounds like a lot. How many people are expected? What will happen to the hotels after the Games? Will there be enough demand?

I guess developers wouldn't put their money into something for a one-time surge just to close it down afterwards but it seems like that's alot of rooms at the current demand level and that much of the building is in direct response to this one-time event.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
That sounds like a lot. How many people are expected? What will happen to the hotels after the Games? Will there be enough demand?

I guess developers wouldn't put their money into something for a one-time surge just to close it down afterwards but it seems like that's alot of rooms at the current demand level and that much of the building is in direct response to this one-time event.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...games-tickets/

2017 was held in Poland. Only the second time held in America. First time in the United States in 40 years. I think officials are estimating close to 100K...and with it being held in a sports-like mecca area called the southeast, could reach that number and more.

Also World Games Plaza will be at Railroad Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area