Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 06:01 PM

156 posts, read 304,374 times

Advertisements

Anyone else had this happen? The person knows my name, address, and mobile number--obviously. "Hi, M***, I use a service that helps me match public property records with owner contact info for houses I'm interested in, and your name came up. I'm Lori, and I'd like to speak about purchasing ((my address inserted)). Are you interested in selling?

My response was...What is your last name? I've received no response to that.

I wouldn't immediately write it off as a scam because when my husband and I were looking to buy our condo (student housing), we used public database to locate owners in the complexes we were most interested in. Then I would try to find the owners on social media. I was able to contact several via Facebook. I was surprised how many were willing to engage. Most would have been willing to talk, but needed to hold onto the property for another year or so.

I just can't figure out how this person could get my mobile number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 06:23 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
It's a white hot market.

Look her up online.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:42 PM

156 posts, read 304,374 times
well, she has to give me her last name first!

Old 07-28-2020, 07:05 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
well, she has to give me her last name first!

Either she's the world's worst realtor or it's a scam.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 PM

239 posts, read 158,660 times
The question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I wish to sell my house?"

If the answer is NO, tell the enquirer that and don't engage in any further discussion.

If the answer is YES, make proper enquiries as to the value of the house first before engaging with this person further, watch out for scams.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 PM

260 posts, read 154,410 times
Seems like I get post cards every 5 months from someone wanting to buy my house no matter what condition it is in.

Public information is out there displaying property owners and if the home is owned outright. I just put it in the recycling bin and that is that. When I am ready to sell, it won't be with someone who solicits me and will offer below price. No thanks. I'll work with a realtor if I choose to sell. Have to be careful nowadays.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i get them about once a month, its the people they will pay you cash for your house, Like 25% of what its worth. they also send a lot of mail too.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post
Anyone else had this happen? The person knows my name, address, and mobile number--obviously. "Hi, M***, I use a service that helps me match public property records with owner contact info for houses I'm interested in, and your name came up. I'm Lori, and I'd like to speak about purchasing ((my address inserted)). Are you interested in selling?

My response was...What is your last name? I've received no response to that.

I wouldn't immediately write it off as a scam because when my husband and I were looking to buy our condo (student housing), we used public database to locate owners in the complexes we were most interested in. Then I would try to find the owners on social media. I was able to contact several via Facebook. I was surprised how many were willing to engage. Most would have been willing to talk, but needed to hold onto the property for another year or so.

I just can't figure out how this person could get my mobile number.
SCAM. End of subject. The very BEST, but highly unlikely, possibility is one of those "Cash for your house" - which is a kind of scam anyway.

What amazes me are the number of answers to wouldn't just delete this message. You shouldn't even reply to them. Your mobile number, your name, and possibly more probably exist on hacked lists for sale on dark websites.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:54 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
All the big tech entities use phone number to text a code to you. So they've been hacked or sold the info to someone how will pay for it. I got one earlier this week.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i get them about once a week, they going offer you about 25% of what its worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: