Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 06:56 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,735 times

Advertisements

OK, I know we've joked about creating this thread before, so we'll see how it goes. The purpose isn't to come in here and bash Birmingham for no reason, though. Mainly just post things that are not good news, or that are cause for concern, or that just make you sad.

This one hits hard: The Atomic will close on October 9th :/

From the owner's FB page: "As some of you may have already heard, the Atomic Lounge will be closing its doors soon. It’s been a tumultuous year, both for this industry and for us personally. It’s been our pleasure to have had so many of you here, to make so many new and lifelong friends. From the first day the Atomic has exceeded our expectations; Best in Birmingham, Best in the state, 3 (!) James Beard nominations. All from a little bar that dressed you up as a squirrel, slapped a Sex Panther tattoo on you and every now and then, made a decent cocktail. We still have some time together, the last day will be October 9. So let’s have a few more of those Panthers, shoot some questionable whiskey and put on a costume one last time in the next few weeks. Thank you Birmingham, for everything."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Yeah, owners are getting divorced and don't want to be in business together.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:42 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Oh no! The Sex Panther was good.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:22 PM

157 posts, read 153,474 times
I'm super bummed. My wife and I both have drinks named after us on the menu and adore the place. We've known for a while. There's more to it than in the BBJ and social media posts but don't be surprised when you see the name again.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:32 PM

i'm so over all this rain... would love to know where this summer stands (or even just the months of june and july) in terms of total rainfall. i know it's to be expected this time of year, but it's literally every afternoon.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:06 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
My trees and gardens have never been so beautiful. I just don't like to drive in heavy rain.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i'm so over all this rain... would love to know where this summer stands (or even just the months of june and july) in terms of total rainfall. i know it's to be expected this time of year, but it's literally every afternoon.
Varies wildly from one spot to another. My backyard received about 19" of rain in the month of July which would put it among the 3 or 4 wettest on record if compared to the Birmingham airport. But if I recall correctly, with just a few days left... the official station at the Birmingham airport had only about half that amount and it was only about the 10th wettest on record. Wet for sure, but not as anomalous as it seems.

There have been quite a few tropical systems that have made landfall in July and dumped 5 to 10 inches of rain in a day or two. This is probably up there as the wettest July without a tropical storm making up a big bulk of it.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:08 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
44.97 inches so far this year per the NWS. That’s 8.09 inches above normal. We’ve had several rainy years like this in a row.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:40 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
At least it has kept the heat in check and, to me, it beats the alternative of a very hot and dry summer.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:23 AM

agree that it varies wildly, even on a neighborhood to neighborhood basis. here in crestwood, it feels like we've had maybe 10 days total without any form of precipitation this summer. i am thankful that the rain has tempered the heat a bit, but it has certainly spoiled more than one outing this year (hikes, barons' games, dining outside, etc).

my grass does look amazing though! i just need it to dry out so i can actually mow it haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area