Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 11,776 times

Advertisements

There is a good chance I'll be starting a new job in Bessemer within a month or so. I'm from OK, have never been to AL, and may not really have a chance to just look around before needing to sign on an apartment.

I would like to keep rent under $650. I don't care how big it is, I just want it to be nice and in a good neighborhood. I don't care how close it is to attractions or night life. I just want peaceful, respectable people living around me. I would REALLY appreciate some advice.

Thanks!!

Oh, and I don't mind a bit of a commute...half an hour max would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm beginning to think I need to be looking for a 500k+ house to get any advice. Maybe I just need to learn some patience.

Everyone seems to like Hoover when looking for houses, but when I read apartment ratings they are always terrible. I've been thinking about McCalla, Helena, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills. Are there good apartments in these areas or do I need to buy a house to get away from slums? Again, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 AM

350 posts, read 1,313,086 times
It has been over 12 years since I rented, but when I did rent, it was in the Hoover area. Try Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Although you can find some great areas in the Bessemer/McCalla area to buy and live in a house, renting here is another story.

Best of luck

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times
There is a house right behind us. It's a craphole but all the nieghbors are very nice! It might do for a short time until you find better. It's a 2 or 3 br 1 bath and should be very very cheap! It's 315 17th street south bessemer, al 35020.

It is managed by Terry Realty and owned by the family who would be your neighbor on the other side! It is surrounded by historic properties and was probably built in the 40's. When the previous renter left I helped clean the place up. It needs some work but is livable!

Where will you be working?

Terry Realty has lots of properties in Bessemer..........you might call them! (205) 428-6363

Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Oh Thank you very much! I just checked back and will call Terry Realty next week! I have an interview with Royal Switchgear off of Pine Lane (I would also appreciate anything you know about them). That's why I thought Helena might also be an option, as I have read good things about it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
You do not want to live in Bessemer. Homewood, Hoover, Southside

Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawk View Post
You do not want to live in Bessemer. Homewood, Hoover, Southside

Why?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM

As someone who has worked and spent considerable time in Bessemer for 10 years, I can safely say that Bessemer is simply not a city that ranks highly within the metro area in which to live. With that said, there are portions of Bessemer that are more livable, primarily in the 35022 zip code. Bessemer is a very interesting, unique city and the contrast of old/new, rich/poor literally right next to each other makes for a one of a kind place.

But the bottom line is that outside of cheap housing, there is really nothing advantageous about Bessemer compared to most other areas in terms of lifestyle, schools, shopping, dining, entertainment, commute time around metro area, etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

You must not live here now! It's not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be! We love it. It's like our little secret........us and a few close friends we have made. There is plenty to do and see! This city has problems that are worse than some areas but not as bad as others. But as long as people talk bad about the area it will never improve. We need an influx new people to make a difference. You don't want to move to the projects but Jonesboro and Southside are great areas to live!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM

Bessemer does have a slightly worse perception than it really is. But it still really has no advantages over any other cities in the area. If a couple were looking to move somewhere a little bit out but not too far, it would be an option. But there are definitely areas that should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area