Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
More seat time is what you need. Shifting is not something you have to think about it just comes natural with lots of practice.

Come back in another month and tell us how smooth your car drives.
I agree. When I think about it I try to shift as if someone riding with me wouldn't notice I have a manual. The rest of the time it just...happens. It's so automated, for lack of a better word. Don't overthink it. It's about feel, and getting used to how the engine pulls, sounds, throttle position, etc. Focusing on the position of the tach needle keeps your eyes off the road longer than is necessary.

For just cruising around, that car has plenty of power so that you shouldn't need to wind it up much at all. The rest is experience. BUT bad habits are learned only and difficult to break. So maybe some instruction is a good idea. And like someone else said, it's a great way to open the car up in relative safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

10 posts, read 44,377 times
So the bottom line is practice i see. Also Ill try to shift gears more quicker from now on. I now drive this car as my daily drive so Ill learn this car in no time. And I am looking into the BMW driving school for the chapter in my area.
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I'd still be cautious while learning because a bad driver can severely decrease the life of a clutch which won't be a cheap replacement on the E46.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjdan View Post
So the bottom line is practice i see. Also Ill try to shift gears more quicker from now on. I now drive this car as my daily drive so Ill learn this car in no time. And I am looking into the BMW driving school for the chapter in my area.
Thanks for all the replies.
Be careful about attending any driving school, high performance schools can be addictive.

I went to one school in 1988 just to see what it was all about.

Still going to driving schools but now I am an instructor.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,324 times
Nobody is really going to be able to tell you how to drive on an online forum. We can give you hints and tips, but the best way would obviously be to practice. Revmatching is what makes it smooth; make sure to do it when you downshift, and give it a little bit of gas when you upshift.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
Your car might have a Clutch Delay Valve. It is supposed to soften clutch engagement, but all it does is the opposite. It is fairly easy to remove with simple tools.

Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) on E46 M3 - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

CDV
This website has some detailed instructions. They sell a modified CDV, but you probably don't need it. You should be able to discard the CDV and attach the line to the other fitting directly.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
Here's a slightly better DIY.

DIY: CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
This thread kinda hit home.

A few years ago, my wife and I test drove a Z4 M Roadster. This had the same S54 engine with a slightly higher-rated power output and the same manual transmission. None of us could shift it smoothly; we looked at each other with a puzzled look. To this day I have no idea what we could have done differently.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
I don't think the number of gears has anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI