Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times

Advertisements

Holy crap
Elmwood Place, Ohio, Catches 20,000 People Speeding in 2 Weeks

Controversial speed cameras outrage drivers in Elmwood Place - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

About a lady speeding in a school zone:
"If she'd been pulled over by a police officer, rather than having her speed tracked by a camera, she said she would have learned to adjust her behavior during school hours."

"If it would have been a police officer, I would have only gotten one," she told Fox 19. "Cause I would have known better."

HUH?

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 10-06-2012 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
You can't fix stupid

Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM

297 posts, read 740,890 times
What is it that troopers always say to me when I get pulled over and pull an "I didn't know"?

"Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law".

Speed limit signs are clearly posted, ESPECIALLY in school zones.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times
She must mean the time period it took to receive the ticket. If you drive through the same school zone 3 times a day for a week, and speed through there each time, you might have gone through the zone for 3 days before receiving the first ticket in the mail...if that's the case, you've likely got 9 tickets coming...so I can understand the frustration.

The stupid thing is, what would make you think that speeding through a school zone was "ok" if you weren't going to get a ticket? It's not as if the school zones aren't designated, and the times clearly marked...so, either this driver had some sense of "elitism" or they were just plain stupid.

We have a speed camera down the street from me, which is in a school/park zone marked for 20 mph. According to the local police, they ticket at 10 over (30 mph). Average speed through the zone has since dropped from over 40 mph, to 25 mph. They still give tickets of course to the inattentive drivers who blow through the zone, but most of the residents are very aware of the speed camera...and a driver paying attention would note the flashing sign (School Zone) and the words (Enforced by speed camera) underneath. I guess I'm just a firm believer that people should spend more time driving, and less time doing all the other things in a car, and it'd be a safer world for everyone...and these speed cameras wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Holy crap
Elmwood Place, Ohio, Catches 20,000 People Speeding in 2 Weeks

Controversial speed cameras outrage drivers in Elmwood Place - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

About a lady speeding in a school zone:
"If she'd been pulled over by a police officer, rather than having her speed tracked by a camera, she said she would have learned to adjust her behavior during school hours."

"If it would have been a police officer, I would have only gotten one," she told Fox 19. "Cause I would have known better."

HUH?
So she doesn't know not to break the law unless she's caught doing it and is told not to do it again by a police officer?

What the heck kind of driver's ed do they have up there in Ohio, anyway?

I hear these kinds of excuses (it's all the police officer's fault that I got a ticket when I was speeding) and can only think, "Whine, whine, whine."

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So she doesn't know not to break the law unless she's caught doing it and is told not to do it again by a police officer?

What the heck kind of driver's ed do they have up there in Ohio, anyway?

I hear these kinds of excuses (it's all the police officer's fault that I got a ticket when I was speeding) and can only think, "Whine, whine, whine."

Funny comments from a person in a State where most drivers on the Interstate believe the speed limit is a suggestion.

I do not agree with her comments by the way, school zones are clearly marked 20MPH.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
And then you get the treatment we see here. If you are a government employee or part of the educational system the ticket is excused. If you're not - tough luck. This holds true for red light and speeding cameras.

We are being told the practice will stop (yeah, right ), but not a word about collecting those previous fines that would now have additional fees added for lateness if you were Joe Blow.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Our school zone signs have a flashing yellow light that is on when the limit is in place (school hours) so if you miss it you really do deserve a ticket.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Funny comments from a person in a State where most drivers on the Interstate believe the speed limit is a suggestion.

I do not agree with her comments by the way, school zones are clearly marked 20MPH.
Yeah, but whining about an obvious natural consequence of something you chose to do when anyone who is behind the wheel of a car should know there are speed limits isn't very well thought of.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,641,120 times
From my experience, if you see a sign that says photo enforced, you should heed the warning. That being said, kids and people should have been taught to look both ways before crossing the road. I understand the need for school zones but speed cameras take too long to be process. By the time someone "learned their lesson" they would have unknowingly gotten several tickets at the same location. That is the problem with speed cameras in general.

Quote:
The reason we are using speed cameras is very clear. If you hit a child going 20 miles per hour, the chance of survival is 95 percent; at 30 mph survivability falls to 65 percent; and at 40 mph there is only a 15 percent chance the child will live. We have clocked drivers going more than 50 mph in front of our elementary school and through residential neighborhoods," said Peskin.
The police and the school should also turn their attention to informing children to look both ways before crossing. I look at this comment and take it as the this police could care less about preventing children from getting hit in the first place but rather increase their chance of survival from getting hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive