Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:52 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,862,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Phyxius, it appears on the face of it that there is a direct contradiction between two Maryland statutes (though what I cited is a statute and what you cited is a definition contained within a statute).

Maryland Speeding Statistics Complicate Myth of 10 mph Cushion
I don't think you're understanding. The speed cameras in Maryland only take a picture if you're going 12 or more over the limit. That is totally separate from what a live officer might do. I commented on speed cameras. A real, live officer would probably not do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM

96 posts, read 282,041 times
Quote:
If you are driving over the posted speed limit, no matter WHAT you think about what it "should" be, you're violating the law. What you have presented is not a justification for speeding, it is an excuse - and a pretty poor one, at that. "But I don't think the speed limit should be what it is, so when I drive over it, I'm not really breaking the law because I don't agree with it." Really? You're really sure you want to go with that one?
It might not convince brainwashed law-abiding citizens but it makes perfect sense to me. Multiple studies have shown that while speed may impact the mortality of an accident it does not impact the rate of accidents in a given region. In fact, many speed limits have caused accidents (people slamming on their breaks to slow down when a 45mph zone suddenly changes to 25mph with little reason). Considering the millions of laws this country has, do you truly honestly believe you have never broken a law? Just because your government mandates something does not mean you should blindly listen to that, nor does that mean it is right or wrong. It just means that if you do this, you're going to get a hard time from the government.

Speed limits are good, but some of the posted limits are true head scratchers. The idiots who blindly worship the speed limit are actually some of the most dangerous drivers I see out there besides the even more moronic 90+ over the speed limit folk.

There are no excuses for speeding, but speeding isn't inherently wrong or dangerous either. I shouldn't HAVE to make excuses for speeding because the speed I go should not be a problem. I feel comfortable driving it and I am not putting anybody else in danger. Outside of breaking arbitrary and pointless rules, what exactly am I doing wrong?

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/usenet-ar.../msg00008.html

Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,459,633 times
In other words, as I said, "But I don't think the speed limit should be what it is, so when I drive over it, I'm not really breaking the law because I don't agree with it."

LOTS of people just KNOW that they're safe drivers perfectly capable of deciding which traffic laws (especially, but not limited to, speeding - do you have any idea how many people out there would say the same thing about texting while driving, and that it doesn't impact THEIR driving one little bit so it's dumb for there to be a law against it because THEY can handle it?) should apply to them and which shouldn't, and the vast majority of them are wrong.

Speed, don't speed, but don't pretend to others and yourself that it's justified because you're such a GOOD driver. Own up that you're doing it because you want to and everything you say to justify it is just excuses towards that end. And when driving at an excessive rate of speed means that when someone else does something wrong (you didn't think you're the only one on the road, did you?) and you can't avoid it because you're driving too fast, don't blame anyone else but yourself. (As someone upthread tried to blame school children if someone is speeding through a school zone and a child gets seriously hurt or injured as a result.)

And, no, I've never said that I think I haven't violated a law - heck, I even speed on occasion. I'm just honest with myself about it when I do it and don't pretend that I have any valid excuse for it.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't think you're understanding. The speed cameras in Maryland only take a picture if you're going 12 or more over the limit. That is totally separate from what a live officer might do. I commented on speed cameras. A real, live officer would probably not do the same.
Note below what you actually said and the post you were replying to (pertinent parts bolded):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius
Most speed limits do not match the road design hence why people "speed" in the first place. I do not see anything wrong with traveling 5-10 over the speed limit and do not consider that speeding. Traveling up to 50 mph in a school zone should be given a ticket but for going 5-10 over? give me a break. School zone is 20 mph and there is a 95% chance of surviving a car collision. Notice the officer do not mention the posted 25 mph along the other stretch of Vine Street and skips to 30 mph being as a 65% chance of survivability. You would think there would be a source of that research where the public can see the data for themselves.

This does not change the fact that speed cameras are flawed as they are outsourced to some private companies and can malfunction. Maryland: Optotraffic Cameras Shown To Be Inaccurate | The Truth About Cars

I only included that children should be taught to look both ways, but did not downplay speeding through school zones.

In Maryland, you can drive up to 11 miles per hour over and not be ticketed. That allows for the 5 to 10 over doesn't it?

That doesn't limit your comment to cameras only, it point blank states that in Maryland you can exceed the limit by 11 miles per hour and not be ticketed.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM

96 posts, read 282,041 times
Quote:
In other words, as I said, "But I don't think the speed limit should be what it is, so when I drive over it, I'm not really breaking the law because I don't agree with it."

LOTS of people just KNOW that they're safe drivers perfectly capable of deciding which traffic laws (especially, but not limited to, speeding - do you have any idea how many people out there would say the same thing about texting while driving, and that it doesn't impact THEIR driving one little bit so it's dumb for there to be a law against it because THEY can handle it?) should apply to them and which shouldn't, and the vast majority of them are wrong.

Speed, don't speed, but don't pretend to others and yourself that it's justified because you're such a GOOD driver. Own up that you're doing it because you want to and everything you say to justify it is just excuses towards that end. And when driving at an excessive rate of speed means that when someone else does something wrong (you didn't think you're the only one on the road, did you?) and you can't avoid it because you're driving too fast, don't blame anyone else but yourself. (As someone upthread tried to blame school children if someone is speeding through a school zone and a child gets seriously hurt or injured as a result.)

And, no, I've never said that I think I haven't violated a law - heck, I even speed on occasion. I'm just honest with myself about it when I do it and don't pretend that I have any valid excuse for it.
I think you're misunderstanding. I'm of he opinion that we shouldn't feel obligate to make excuses for going 70 in a 60 or 75 in a 70. There are some roads I go on where I don't even hit the sped limit because I don't feel comfortable doing so. Comparing speeding to texting while driving is rather inane; texting while driving has been scientifically proven to negatively impact your driving. No matter how great a driver you are, you can't react properly if you're not even looking at the road. To compare the two is ridiculous.

Speeding is perfectly justified. And as for "driving so fast you can't respond in time" that argument is nullified once you're on the highway. If an accident is going to happen it's going to happen whether you're going 30, 40 or 50. The only argument you could make for speeding affecting reaction time is if you are going 70+ in a residential area. You also fail to take into account what different cars and suspension systems can handle. For example, I can drive down a certain windy road easily at 40mph in my Nissan Murano and never feel as if I'm going to fast or as though I wouldn't be able to react in time. However in my Honda Civic I wouldn't dare go over 35 on that road and usually find myself cruising at 30. There will always be idiots who think it's safe to go 90 in a 45 but those people are in the minority.

We criminalize those going 10, 15, 20 over and act as if they're endangering anybody. There's a road out in Washington with a speed limit of 25. A road almost exactly like it back in my hometown had a speed limit of 45 (everyone drove 50-60). People hear "oh my god, you were going 45 in a 25??? you're crazy!!!" until they see the road and go "wait, why was that speed limit 25?".

Bottom line: it's justified. I just shouldn't have to justify it.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,047,285 times
Quote:
So she doesn't know not to break the law unless she's caught doing it and is told not to do it again by a police officer?
She didn't say she didn't know not to break the law. She said, she would have "learned to adjust her behavior" had she been pulled over by a police officer.

Everybody knows not to break the law. The problem is that 100% of people break laws everyday, that they don't even know they are breaking.

In most cases (unless a marked police car is present) if you drive 20 mph through a school zone, you will have a line of cars behind you, going road rage and beeping at you. At least 99% of people who claim to respect school zone speed limits are probably actually driving through them at 25 - 30 mph. Which would have gotten them a ticket in this case.

If the town really had children's safety in mind. They would spend a bit of money and put up more and better school zone signs, more flashing yellow lights, and make sure to have a marked patrol car present before and after school hours. But to do that they would have to spend a bit, rather then making a 2 million dollar profit from fines.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 PM

The school zones where I live have very obvious signage, complete with flashing lights during the hours that the school zone is in effect, and a sign where the school zone ends. While patrol cars do hit the various school zones (but don't sit right there at every school every day), when they are not present, most drivers obey the speed limit and do not behave as childishly as you describe. ("Beeping" out of impatience rather than due to an impending traffic disaster is also rare and viewed with disdain here - and thus when someone does honk their horn it's more likely to be taken seriously.) Perhaps drivers are less civilized where you are?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 PM

802 posts, read 1,684,834 times
I love reading the comments in which sooooo many people condemn speeding but whenever I'm on the interstate and going well over the speed limit, I'm still being passed by loads of cars (and yes I know this is a school zone but If I drive 25 mph or less I always have someone on my rear bumper)

Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,862,569 times
Quote:
Note below what you actually said and the post you were replying to (pertinent parts bolded):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius
Most speed limits do not match the road design hence why people "speed" in the first place. I do not see anything wrong with traveling 5-10 over the speed limit and do not consider that speeding. Traveling up to 50 mph in a school zone should be given a ticket but for going 5-10 over? give me a break. School zone is 20 mph and there is a 95% chance of surviving a car collision. Notice the officer do not mention the posted 25 mph along the other stretch of Vine Street and skips to 30 mph being as a 65% chance of survivability. You would think there would be a source of that research where the public can see the data for themselves.

This does not change the fact that speed cameras are flawed as they are outsourced to some private companies and can malfunction. Maryland: Optotraffic Cameras Shown To Be Inaccurate | The Truth About Cars

I only included that children should be taught to look both ways, but did not downplay speeding through school zones.

In Maryland, you can drive up to 11 miles per hour over and not be ticketed. That allows for the 5 to 10 over doesn't it?

That doesn't limit your comment to cameras only, it point blank states that in Maryland you can exceed the limit by 11 miles per hour and not be ticketed.
I apologize. I thought that I had mentioned cameras. That was what I was referring to. Maybe I thought that the other poster would know since they were referring to Maryland. Whatever. Sorry to confuse things.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:09 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,644,183 times
Hamilton County judge halts use of Elmwood Place speed cameras

Quote:
Judge Ruehlman called the village’s traffic camera system a game that Optotraffic, the company that operates the cameras, has a financial stake in.

“I used the term 'game' because Elmwood Place is engaged in nothing more than a high-tech game of 3-Card Monty,” the judge wrote in his ruling. “It is a scam that the motorists can’t win.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive