Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,480 times

Advertisements

The two types of people who have BMW's in my circle are the ones with no kids yet or the late 40's to 50s crowd whose kids are moved out. My mother in law drove a Z3 for years as a daily driver, but she bought a nice smooth slow Buick when my son was born so she could accommodate a car seat.

I feel her pain, though, as I was a sport bike and pickup truck guy until the little fella made an appearance and I switched to a Subaru.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 AM

811 posts, read 621,772 times
OP's agenda was exposed by post #3.
The Jealousy is strong with this one.

Fake V8 sound? Maybe because it's an E60 V-10? lol

I'll play.

Being intimately familiar with LOTS of BMW owners, like many luxury cars they can fall into several profiles. If I had to narrow it down to two I would say Wanna-be's and Enthusiasts.

First group is easy to spot because they often lease rather than purchase. (Exceptions to this of course!) And IF they decide to keep the car outside of the warranty period or purchase a used one many have no idea just expensive these cars are to repair and maintain. Lots of BMW owners out there who simply can't afford to maintain their cars properly. Ask me how I know.

Enthusiasts? They love the cars for how they drive and enjoy the company's illustrious history. Image and status may be on their radar but it's probably not at the top of the list. When it comes to maintenance and repair, they're willing to pay the piper.

If you've never driven an M car but are quick to criticize people who own one you might want to shut up. They're great fun.

Last edited by Elna Rae; 10-30-2017 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times
If I could afford, I'd drive one! But not for the usual superficial reasons(flaunting one's economic status, or the attitude that I'm above the rules and common courtesies of the road).

I appreciate good handling - at or just above normal or posted speeds given the conditions - not at near-Earnhardt or Verstappen speeds. With a BMW I know there's a margin of speed and handling capability well above what I need, but it's there if needed.

Also, because it's hard to find one without a sunroof!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
I drive a BMW and never went to college. I hate lawyers, dentists and realtors lol

Old 10-30-2017, 07:34 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
The BMW M5 has a fake V8 sound. I think it's tacky and annoying. I hear the neighbor raving it up out side all the time. I hear in the UK that BMW owners are seen as pretentious.
Unless it’s a V10 it’s a V8 so not a fake V8 sound..

Old 10-30-2017, 07:41 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
I had a 1974 BMW 2002 as my first car. This is when they were not yet popular here, and very rare. They were not the "luxury brand" they are now, but more performance oriented in an era of American living room sofas on wheels. I loved it, but nobody knew what it was, and that is exactly how I liked it. I like off beat, and unusual stuff, but they are getting harder to find in a global economy.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
318ic = andover teen who begged daddy for a drop-top.
e39-530i = new dad that traded up from a z4.
760i-alpina-b7 = limo driver.
m5 = vicarious race car driver.
x5 = jamaican flossin' like they bounty killa'

Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
I've noticed a certain type of personality drives BMW. My neighbors a lawyer and he drives the BMW M5. Does BMW appeal to the lawyer types? What type of personality is BMW for?
Middle Management.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 AM

604 posts, read 652,810 times
Anybody that loves driving and appreciates great handling and response

BMW can be had as second hand starting around 10K and up, so don't assume someone has to be rich to drive one.

Like they say, you gotta drive one to appreciated it.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
OP's agenda was exposed by post #3.
The Jealousy is strong with this one.

Fake V8 sound? Maybe because it's an E60 V-10? lol

I'll play.

Being intimately familiar with LOTS of BMW owners, like many luxury cars they can fall into several profiles. If I had to narrow it down to two I would say Wanna-be's and Enthusiasts.

First group is easy to spot because they often lease rather than purchase. (Exceptions to this of course!) And IF they decide to keep the car outside of the warranty period or purchase a used one many have no idea just expensive these cars are to repair and maintain. Lots of BMW owners out there who simply can't afford to maintain their cars properly. Ask me how I know.

Enthusiasts? They love the cars for how they drive and enjoy the company's illustrious history. Image and status may be on their radar but it's probably not at the top of the list. When it comes to maintenance and repair, they're willing to pay the piper.

If you've never driven an M car but are quick to criticize people who own one you might want to shut up. They're great fun.
Most of the BMW owners I know and hang out with are like myself, enthusiasts. Most of us drive older BMWs as the newer ones are kind of dull. And many of us modify them for better performance/handling. We often seek out the rarer spec performance variants. In my case, the 740i Sport (closest thing to an M7 there ever was, since the factory never built one) and the 330ci ZHP (rare limited edition performance version, even rarer than the M3). And we drive them where that performance can be utilized, either on the track or twisty backroads, like when my wife took the 330 to Tail of the Dragon:

We love the way the cars are designed around the driver, the responsiveness, balance and feel that they have engineered into them. To me, it's amazing that a car the size of my 740i can feel like a smaller car in the way it has agility and responsiveness that belies it's size. And it looks stunning to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI