Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 13,989 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate input from any and all...

I've spent the last 2 years gathering information about relocating to Boise. Through this process, I discovered that over the last few years there has been an increase in the amount of attention and resources directed towards mosquito population control. Could someone tell me from their experience, if they feel Boise and the surrounding areas are amid an epidemic with mosquitoes, and how bad are the mosquitoes generally speaking throughout the summer and fall months? I want the REAL scoop!

Thank you again in advance. I recently had the opportunity to visit Boise earlier this month and I must say how absolutely pleasant and genuinely friendly everyone appeared to be. Civic pride is evident throughout. Truly one of the last few places like it around - and I have lived all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:59 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
I addressed it a bit on one of the other threads, look at Green Places in Idaho towards the end of the thread.

Not sure why but Idaho had the most outbreaks in the country last year. We sprayed aerially for the first time last year. I'm sure they will spray sooner this year. Just don't live by a body of water and you will be fine, of course use bug spray. Lake Lowell area had a tough time last year but for obvious reasons - it's a body of water.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
The mosquitoes in the Boise metro are sexy

Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCII View Post
I would appreciate input from any and all...

I've spent the last 2 years gathering information about relocating to Boise. Through this process, I discovered that over the last few years there has been an increase in the amount of attention and resources directed towards mosquito population control. Could someone tell me from their experience, if they feel Boise and the surrounding areas are amid an epidemic with mosquitoes, and how bad are the mosquitoes generally speaking throughout the summer and fall months? I want the REAL scoop!

Thank you again in advance. I recently had the opportunity to visit Boise earlier this month and I must say how absolutely pleasant and genuinely friendly everyone appeared to be. Civic pride is evident throughout. Truly one of the last few places like it around - and I have lived all over.

I'm not sure what part of the country you are coming from, but when we moved to Boise we were coming from a more humid climate and mosquitoes are just part of life. My perception is that mosquitoes are not that bad at all in the Boise area. We lived in NW Boise and West Boise and I vary rarely saw a mosquito. I would expect you might see a few along the Boise River, but of course mosquitoes love bodies of water. If you have a garden pond in your yard, you might attract them.

To me, the yellow jackets were quite pesty in Boise!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM

I agree with Chiefs fan. If you have a lot of water around you, you are more likely to have a mosquito issue. I know some people who live on the river that can't sit outside some nights because it is so annoying. We don't live by a body of water so it hasn't been an issue for us. I know they are watching the mosquitos closely this year as I have read articles in the Statesman. I would think that they would spray again this year considering Idaho has such an issue with them last year more than any other state.

My question is, why isn't West Nile a problem in the South where it's warmer? Does the type of mosquito that carries the disease not thrive in that type of condition? I've always wondered that.

But yes, the yellow jackets can be annoying at times if you are eating outside. We do put those traps out and that seems to help. I notice them more around end of July into August, but the beginning of Spring and into first part of Summer they don't seem to be a problem.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post

My question is, why isn't West Nile a problem in the South where it's warmer? Does the type of mosquito that carries the disease not thrive in that type of condition? I've always wondered that.
Georgia saw its' first documented case of the West Nile Virus in 2001. We do have the mosquitoes that carry the disease (and we certainly have PLENTY of mosquitoes!!), but I think a lot of the reason we don't see much regarding WNV in Georgia is that the virus has been in the area for a while and immunities have been built up against the virus.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM

74 posts, read 312,907 times
I live in SE Boise, overlooking a pond and only 500 feet from the Boise River and I never see any mosquitoes or have I been bitten.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM

When you say immunities built up to you mean human? That has always been my other question, if you get bit do you build up an immunity to West Nile? So say I get bit now and then I get bit when I'm considerably older will I be protected? I never see anything addressed on that question. Thanks for trying to help me!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicskier View Post
I live in SE Boise, overlooking a pond and only 500 feet from the Boise River and I never see any mosquitoes or have I been bitten.

Maybe I am just lucky.

I don't think they breed in moving water, but they will breed in stagnant water if it's not treated. Maybe you don't taste very good!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Well, when I was thinking of immunities, I was thinking more along the lines of the birds that were seriously affected...such as crows, jays, robins, etc. My husband is an avid bird watcher and has commented on how there haven't been as many reports of these types of birds dying from WNV, at least in the eastern half of the country. Anyway, the mosquitoes were picking up the virus from birds (horses too, I believe) and that is how it was getting transmitted to humans. I would suspect that humans would build up an immunity to it as well if they were previously exposed. I don't know how long the immunity would last. I think I read somewhere that some cases of the WNV are asymptomatic; there are probably people out there that never know they have/had it.

From what I have read and what I understand, WNV is not terribly serious overall...it more seriously affects the usual groups of the very young/old and people with immune deficiencies.

If someone has more information on this or if I am wrong about this, please feel free to correct me....I would hate to be giving out erroneous info!

Thanks!
chiefs fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area