Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
I've never used AC living in Boise; it really isn't a big deal. I usually start opening my windows this time of year, closing them after I get home from work, and sleeping under a down comforter.

In July/August, when it is really warm, I keep my windows open at night, then shut them during the day and close the blinds on all of my windows. Having a ceiling fan really helps.

The temps go between 65-80* during the summer at night, which is probably good enough to cool the house if you have decent shading and window covers.

I would say my house stays around 60* from Nov-May, and then around 70* in May and June, and 75* in the hottest weeks of July and August, and back to 65-70* through the fall.

Power bill is about $30/month, too!
I couldn't do that. I have a pretty energy efficient house, including a shared wall (I'm in a townhouse), and ceiling fans, and the day my A/C was out, it hit a high of 92 in my house. After having the windows open, fans going, and sweating in bed all night, not really sleeping, the house was still over 80 when I got up to go to work the next morning. I can't sleep when it is that hot in the house.

Granted, it doesn't stay that hot for long, but we have had one recent year that had, I think, 26 days that it topped 100 degrees. That is 26 nights I wouldn't sleep at all if I didn't have AC.

If the daytime temps are in the low 90s, then opening the windows at night would likely be sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Power bill is about $30/month, too!
That itself makes me want to move to Boise! We live in the Phoenix area and will be getting ready to have our $400 plus power bills for the next couple of months.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
That itself makes me want to move to Boise! We live in the Phoenix area and will be getting ready to have our $400 plus power bills for the next couple of months.
Well, consider that in Boise you'll have 2 months of AC use, and 7-9 months of heater use, whether it's electricity, gas, or firewood. It will add up.

(As a note, my electric bill the ONE month I ran my electric heater in the winter the first year I had my house was $350... but that is mostly due to having a very inefficient furnace)

Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 PM

That depends on the size and energy efficiency of your house.

My house is about 1250 sq.ft. and relatively energy efficient, and I just looked at my last 3 years payments to Idaho Power. Looks like I usually have 2 bills a year that are $100+ and one more that peaks around $160. I think that is fairly normal usage for a house my size and age. To have a peak summertime bill of $30 would require some fairly atypical measures. My cheapest power bills in the last 3 years were around $50, and I already take some energy saving steps.

My mom's house is about 3300 sq.ft. and relatively energy efficient, and I think her power bills are around $300-$350/month in the peak months.

My grandma's house, which is in eastern Idaho is about 6000 square feet and old and energy inefficient, with all electric heat and power, has power bills around $600 winter and summer.

I figure for my house, gas and power combined AVERAGE about $150-$175/month. Winter and summer are somewhat higher, while spring and fall are substantially lower.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Also, remember that we have very long days in the summer time. Boise summer evenings are very pleasant. It stays light until almost 10:00 and is usually a very nice temperature in the evenings.
True, mainly due to Boise being in the extreme western part of the Mountain Time Zone. It evens out, though, with mornings being darker in the summer, than places like Denver or Salt Lake. Then again, there is more evening daylight during the winter than Seattle or Portland. Everything evens out in the end at this general latitude.

Idaho in general is known for its short Springs. It can seemingly go from winter to summer in just a couple-three weeks.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
True, mainly due to Boise being in the extreme western part of the Mountain Time Zone. It evens out, though, with mornings being darker in the summer, than places like Denver or Salt Lake. Then again, there is more evening daylight during the winter than Seattle or Portland. Everything evens out in the end at this general latitude.

Idaho in general is known for its short Springs. It can seemingly go from winter to summer in just a couple-three weeks.
Pfft, who cares about mornings...mornings are for sleeping, or if necessary, for working. Evenings are for fun.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Pfft, who cares about mornings...mornings are for sleeping, or if necessary, for working. Evenings are for fun.
Can't say I disagree! Just pointing out that daylight is equal at generally the same latitude.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,484 times
There is way to Vastly Improve the Hot And Cold V/S energy costs and comfort levels for those that are willing to be open minded and also spend some money doing the most efficient and relatively easy retro fixes.

They are now doing these things in Arizona, California, and New Mexico where it can get even hotter and for longer periods.
This technology works equally well in the Winter Cold months.
Very substantial improvement in Comfort year around and also big savings for most homes in energy costs year around.

Once your home has been properly retro fitted, there will only be more comfort and everyday savings going against the initial investment.

Aside from the above if I were building a new home today it would most likely be a SIP Panel home with the panels used on all areas from roof to floor. With either 6 1/2" Or 8 1/2" panel thickness only.
This type of construction will solve all the issues mentioned in this Thread and save you nothing but money going forward.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,020 times
Seasons in Boise? Hmm, Winter and Summer and then a few weeks of Spring and Fall in between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area