Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,748 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid to say it... another transplant from So Cal to Boise area. We are planning the move early next year and have decided to rent for a year to explore and really find out where we want our permanent home to be. I must say, even the worst part of ID (Nampa=questionable per read) has to be better than anything here! I really enjoy reading the Q & A posts from newcomers and Idaho natives and have had many of my own questions answered by reading-Thanks! Please tell me that not everyone thinks of Californians as spoilers! We want out because we are sick of the State Gov't taking from us and giving to the ones that don't WORK for it. We end up with pennies. Our way of life doesn't fit in here. I am a back-to-roots, kind of girl (farming and raising meat) and we just want to blend in with the scenery. I promise, we aren't relocating to change anyone or anything!! We want to be amongst decent people with values that CARE about our Country. We are really looking forward to raising our children in ID. No concrete jungle for these kiddos!
So.... how fast can I get ID plates for the trucks? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 107,457 times
You just need a perm address I believe. Then you can get plates. (and much cheaper I might add.)I personally don't mind the influx of Californians or any other state for that matter. Of the people I have meet they all want the same thing... A better quality of living.

As per Nampa / Caldwell I have lived in both and do live in Caldwell. I know that the police departments in both cities have cracked down on all gang activity. Now don't get me wrong, I am not so naive to believe that all gangs are out of the cities. Also you will have gang activity in any city of any size.

As a basic rule of thumb the further west of Boise you go the cheaper the housing costs are. My wife and I just bought a brand new 1400 sq ft 3bed 2 bath 2 car garage home in east Caldwell for around $600 per month. If we would have waited 1-2 more weeks our payment would have been closer to $500/ month due to interest rates dropping.

Happy hunting and welcome to the treasure valley.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks gwin13! I am online looking daily at Real Estate. Looking forward to visiting in a couple of weeks!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM

229 posts, read 707,125 times
After I moved I had my CA plates on my vehicle for 8-9 months and didn't get one iota of grief from anyone. Not that it doesn't happen to others, but I think the whole issue is over-sensationalized.

Plates here are not only cheaper but the DMV experiences are much less stressful. I got my license (including test for the license) and registration done in 30 minutes without appointment. The line for concealed carry permits there was probably three times as long. I actually timed the last time I went in to renew my registration, and I was in-and-out in 4 minutes.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,507 times
Yup, I had a friend who was just the opposite he lived in CA but used his parents address in Star ID for his vehicle registration, he said his car couldn't pass emissions and by the time he got it fixed up so it could pass CA emissions, registration, etc. he said he would have been out nearly $3K when all was said and done.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM

21 posts, read 55,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
Plates here are not only cheaper but the DMV experiences are much less stressful.
We are in Star, and when we moved from CA over a year ago, the DMV experience was unbelievable. It is a small DMV in Star, and we got the plates right there, the DMV employee even offered to come out to the parking lot and help put them on!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM

YAY! I cannot wait to be there! Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area