Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,718,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
First of all, I don't push nothing on nobody. I have had friends of almost every religion. I am one of those cross- cultural people who loves to live in harmony with others. As long as you can accept me, I can accept you.

I don't push anything on anybody, but sadly people I have met here have no problem pushing their views on me. THere is a difference between telling people I am Jewish and going around trying to convert people to Judaism, the way SOME Christians have tried to do to me here, telling me I and all my Jewish people are going to hell, if I don't believe in their G-d. And, yes, you may not believe it, but some Christians here have asked me "Why I or the Jews killed Jesus?" It is a small minority of people here who have done this, but it only takes a few to really upset me. You won't find me doing anything like that.

Anyway, I don't think people understand my situation. Yeah, most JEws don't go to gun shows and openly tell people they are JEwish. I am proud of my religion and culture and rather not hide it, even if I am hated for it. Yeah, I was open about my religion and never once preached about it.

Actually, at the gun show, there was a discussion about the nazis invading Russia. We were talking about some Russian guns or something the guy had. I forget. I mentioned that my great-grandfather came from Belarus and that his village was exterminated by nazis. Somehow, in the conversation I mentioned that. So, as soon as they found out I was Jewish, like a wildfire, I started getting hassled. Next I know, the Jewish gunsmith guy, comes up to me and says everyone around the show is talking about me being Jewish. One guy at the gun counter starts making Jewish jokes and says Ashkenazi Jews are not real Jews. After defending myself and explaining using historical and scientific reasoning to back myself up, he accuses me of being too emotional. The guy was a Mormon, I bet he would have been very hurt if I started making such comments about his religion and culture.

I didn't do anything except mentioned I was Jewish and then suddenly I get bombarded. THere were a lot of very friendly people at gun show, who made it a point to tell me how much they love Jews. This was met by an equally hostile element who was voicing out there anti-Semtic elements in a suttle way. Let's say I had a very bad feeling in my stomach about the whole ordeal.

Also, I've been insulted and called a liberal, simply because I am Jewish. And, these racist ignorants essentially believe anybody who is Jewiish is automatically a liberal. They were looking for any excuse to attack me.

Anyway, I had a bad experience. We Jews are known to be sheep-like. We generally hide among ourselves and keep quiet about our way of life. We are always ashamed and generally afraid. I am not that way and the people saw that and attacked me for it. I do know why us Jews live this quiet, reserved type of life. I know in Idaho, that is the way you have to live if you are Jewish. You wear your kippa around town, you will get harassed, sooner or later. People don't have a good view of Jews, in general here. However, there are lot of people who do like Jewish people here. It is just the bad element is enough, for an outspoken , proud Jew like me to know it's time to go.

I think I know this Orthodox person you are talking about. But, I won't say anything else about him. I pray he is accepted here. I don't want my actions as an outspoken and proud Jew to make people here attack the Jewish community, which has happened now in Montana. The PLE is trying to run the rabbi in Kalispell out of town. They may succeed.
Are you for real? Your posts are so over the top and ranting that either you're a troll, extremely unlucky, or have zero common sense and choose to run with, and agitate, the wrong crowd. From the sounds of your posts you're an educated 30-thirtysomething, so what are you doing getting into arguments about religion and politics at bars?

I'm not from here and agree it's not the utopia a few posters try and sell. Your posts usually contain some valid points, but they lose all credibility among the hyperbole.

Also, the PLE has no power or presence in Kalispell or really anywhere for that matter. You need to quit making blanket obeservations of entire areas based on the actions of a few. I'm sure you know by now that everywhere in the world has some bad apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM

405 posts, read 1,284,780 times
It would help if you actually read my posts. I never got into any arguments about religion and politics in bars. Go ahead, look back, read the post.. I have never had any argument in a bar. I mentioned one time when this liberal guy came up to me started blabbering. We were just having a friendly chat and then he starts ranting about how stupid conservatives are and blah blah. I actually didn't even get involved with him. If you would have actually read my post, you would have realized I was making a point, that sometimes the more liberal crowd can also be polarizing against people identify themselves as conservative.

I was sharing my experience at a gun show I attended this Summer. And, it wasn't my fault at all. I got into a simple discussion about WWII, which is very common at gun shows. I mentioned many times to people at Portland gun shows that I am Jewish and never had any issues. Well, it seems as soon as I mentioned about me being Jewish, all the sudden there was a great reaction from all the people around me. Suddenly, everyone around the gun show is talking about it. That makes me think there is quite a racist element here. Why should it be such a big freakin deal I am Jewish? The conversation we were having had to do with Russian guns and the invasion of Russia/Belarus by the nazis. Yeah, my great grandfathers village was exterminated by them and I talked about the guns, history ,etc. I didn't expect a big reaction. The guy behind the counter started being a wise-a$$ and didn't think he was insulting me when he started making his Jewish jokes and making his insulting and fallacious comments about Jews. He probably never even met a Jewish person, is what I think. He thought he was being funny for the most part. I mostly just took the insults. Yeah, if someone will make insulting comments about my race, I will defend it. Sorry, if you think that is wrong. Are you Jewish? You may not understand the feeling.

Another incidence happen on a local gun forum where I was systemically attacked by a group who just hated me right from the beginning. I'm on quite a few gun forums and have never been treated badly on any of them. But, this local gun forum, I was treated like dog crap. Even the first week on there we got into discussion about McDonalds. I joined in the conversation and was called bunch of horrible names and told to leave Idaho by one of local guys. Everyone came to the other guys defense and I was forced to apologize if I was to be "accepted". I've never seen such a good ol boy network in a shooting community before. Yeah, everything from having my life threatened to just being insulted with juvenile names. Basically, I learned my lesson not to get into debates with these people as if they feel insulted by you they will go as far as threatening you. Considering, I am into shooting, I have to see these same morons at shooting matches and the shooting ranges. Not something I want to have to deal with anymore. I've left that forum and trying to avoid these people at all costs.

Also, the creator of the gun forum, who also owns a gun shop, has anti-Semitic sentiments. I joined him for an event during Christmas, where he was telling me the bankers (most who are Jewish, in his mind) were taking over the world. I then found a post where he was encouraging other people to listen to what a neo-nazi member what saying. The guy was writing how JEws are trying to take over Idaho. He wrote about how all our founding fathers hated the Jews, with false historical documents, that have been proven to be forged. He went on long rant. It was scary for me to find this post from a few years ago, but it is still there. This guy is quite popular here in Boise with law enforcement, military and shooting community; I am not naming any names.

Yeah, the PLE, Aryan Nations and other white nationalists have quite a large presence in Montana, don't deceive yourself. They are parading themselves at the gun shows in open with nazi uniforms. They show neo-nazi films in the public library. They shot up the Universal Christian Church and spraypainted derogatory statements on the church. I don't recall anyone being arrested for the incident, even though the police knew who did it.

There is a lot of great things about Idaho, but yeah there is bigotry from a certain element of the population here and I am sharing my experience. Actually, bars have been some of the safest places I have been around here. I have had no arguments in any bars in this town.

I guess I am a troll, because I have complaints against Idaho. Yeah, I am sure on the Idaho forum that counts as trolling.. Only compliments are accepted.

Sure, I never said the majority of people here are bad. It is the few bad apples that have made it miserable for me. Being Jewish , I don't feel safe here and it's not from the majority of the people. There is enough of a bad element that makes me want to leave.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-06-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM
HDL

3,217 posts, read 6,802,118 times
Exclamation What Truckingbronco said......

The thing about the state forums on City Data is that people looking to relocate, should be able to find out the good and bad about an area, from persons of various backgrounds and lifestyles, so that they can make the very best decision they can, by taking all the data they find into account . Unfortunately like Truckingbronco stated in his post, I believe that you've lost most of your credibility MD from all the things you've posted .

I as a Christian would never treat you like you've stated in your posts, nor did I ever see any of what you stated happened to you while I lived in Boise. So then I really have to wonder a bit about your account of events ??? There are alot of positives about the Boise area, but it is far from perfect like several posters on here try to make it out to be and I definitely found there to be an 'ole boys network' thing going on there .

It was also very difficult to find a decent paying job and make any friends except with folks that had recently transplanted to the area from out of state. Of course posters on here will blame me or the economy about finding work or friends, and that may be true, but then again, many others posters have said they experienced the same things I did . YMMV . And as a whole, though I have nothing against the LDS community (there are ALOT of Mormons in Boise), they did tend to be quite cliquish and most of the time too busy to take the time to make friends with their non-LDS neighbors (again, this was my experience there ).

Anyways, the GUN world is just not my scene. But since you're so into guns, I will say that I had a few neighbors in Boise that were total NRA fanatics and they said some things that really scared me. Mind you, these particular people had lived in Boise for quite a few years, but were originally from some other state. I believe maybe Texas. I did my best as their neighbor not to say or do anything to tick them off ! So maybe that gun world that you run in has alot of crazy folks ? Certainly a possibility, especially after I read some posts on the Alaska forums this week . I'm just glad I lived to tell this story !!!

So getting back on topic I will say that meeting people in Boise is like any other place. There's real folks and phonies. I found most of the folks I met very nice, but not enough in common to really connect long term. Someone elses' experience may be much different than mine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Are you for real? Your posts are so over the top and ranting that either you're a troll, extremely unlucky, or have zero common sense and choose to run with, and agitate, the wrong crowd. From the sounds of your posts you're an educated 30-thirtysomething, so what are you doing getting into arguments about religion and politics at bars?

I'm not from here and agree it's not the utopia a few posters try and sell. Your posts usually contain some valid points, but they lose all credibility among the hyperbole.

snip snip ...

Last edited by HDL; 04-06-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM

I don't know why I lose credibility for posting what I have. I am sharing my experience. You are no more credible then me or anyone else who lived here. Yet, you even unknowingly have confirmed a few things I said.

Yeah I am a gun nut, kinda.. I am into shooting sports and the shooting community. It seems like you actually have run into similar type of people, your own neighbors. Gee, if I have lost credibility, it is funny you confirm some of what I say about the people who live right next door to you. Yeah, sure, many of these nutjobs don't originate from Boise itself, but they come to this area for a reason, because they feel their mindset will be more accepted here, perhaps. And, there are plenty of homegrown nutjobs too.

True, maybe a lot of people into guns are not the greatest people. I don't know. I never experienced such hostility from the shooting community in Oregon or Washington. Considering, this hobby is part of my life and I am a very proactive RKBA activist, I have to find people in this type of community who can accept me and won't tear me to pieces like was done here.

I am sad that those people you meet gave the wrong impression of gun enthusiasts and NRA members. Guns and hunting are an important part of our freedom as American citizens and a great hobby and sport. Sadly, the wrong types of people tend to gravitate towards what should be a peaceful and noble hobby and basic human right. I have seen this influence more in Idaho than Oregon among the rightists. Not to say Oregon doesn't have its nutjobs, like the neo nazi at the Portland Gun Show, selling memorabilia. However, most people hate the guy or are naive thinking he isn't really a nazi.

Yes, as a CHristian you wouldn't say some of the things I posted earlier. ANd, I have made many CHristian friend who wouldn't do that either. I was working with widows and orphans for a church in Uganda, so I did live among Christians and have respect for the good and devout ones who respect me. Sadly, in Idaho, I have experienced bigotry from a small group of Christians, that I haven't experienced so much in Oregon. Not to say it doesn't exist all over. However, I have had enough insults and proselytism attempts to know I am not so accepted by CHristians.

It isn't just Mormons who keep to themselves. Most CHristians here I meet want nothing to do with me or give me the time I day when they learn I won't accept their Jesus. To them, I am not even a human if I don't believe in their G-d. THat isn't to say they are all such bad people. I guess that is fine, birds of one feather flock together. Guess, it's time for this bird to flock to where he is more like the other birds.

Boise is a tough town to make good friends.. The whole town is cliquish, not just the Mormons. People are very scared of outsiders and their influence. I think people here are very friendly, but are scared to ever get too close to anyone, as they fear their way of life will be threatened. This is much more prevalent through the Good Ol Boy network, which you claim doesn't exist, but does.

Quote:
HDL
If U were 2 die 2day,where would U spend eternity?
P.S. The signature under your name also somewhat confirms what I think is your viewpoint on all people who don't believe in your religion. For a person like you who claims to be accepting, having a statement like , "If you were 2 die 2 day, where would you spend eternity." Gee, are you inferring that I and everyone else who doesn't believe what you do is going to roast in hell? LOL .. Why would I go to any place better or worse than you if I die today? I have had to face a lot of this being a Jew in IDaho, about that I am not worthy of the great heaven as the cool Christian crowd. Nevermind, that I have met many of them that have multiple, premarital sexual relations, some do drugs, divorce/remarry, have affairs, get drunk, etc etc, just as many non-Christians do. Somehow, they get a free ride.. This mentality annoys me as well.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 04-06-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,379,465 times
Utopia is a subjective topic because Utopia to one person may not be for another, so if someone views Boise or Chicago, or Coeur d'Alene as Utopia, who cares?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,871,815 times
MD, you've spent plenty of time posting your seriously negative views of Boise. It IS starting to go "over the top" and become just plain old trolling (posting inflammatory content looking to stir an argument).

Post your views. Defend your views. But lighten up on the hyperbole and extreme views.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 AM

I won't be posting any more of my bad experiences on Boise/Idaho forum.. Sorry.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM

115 posts, read 365,987 times
I know I am late on here. But I must know what have you decided MysticalDream. I'm planning on relocating to Eagle, ID (or Boise). I'm a young, black, liberal, woman with varying views on religion. I can't stand most conservative policies (However, I do love packing heat). I plan on moving to Boise and enjoying watching my children raise up in a nice house and a nice school. But I'd be darned if anyone tries to run me or my family out of town. People will only go as far as you let them. If it's the kind of place you want to live, live there, and the next time someone questions your belief fallout laughing at their ignorance.

P.S. I drive a hybrid, use solar power, and Love a little tree hugging every now and then!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,379,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
I know I am late on here. But I must know what have you decided MysticalDream. I'm planning on relocating to Eagle, ID (or Boise). I'm a young, black, liberal, woman with varying views on religion. I can't stand most conservative policies (However, I do love packing heat). I plan on moving to Boise and enjoying watching my children raise up in a nice house and a nice school. But I'd be darned if anyone tries to run me or my family out of town. People will only go as far as you let them. If it's the kind of place you want to live, live there, and the next time someone questions your belief fallout laughing at their ignorance.

P.S. I drive a hybrid, use solar power, and Love a little tree hugging every now and then!

You will do just fine here. No one is running anyone out of town. The only people I can think of in this area who are ignorant are the select group of close minded new comers who feel that the area they move to has to be just like the place they left and then they get a bad attitude and come to a forum such as this looking for pity and possibly grossly exagerrating their bad experiences because of the conflicted bitterness they are experiencing. I truly feel some people create their own bad experiences because of being close minded and thinking everyone in the city they move to should look and think as they do. These type of people are just as off and close minded and judgemental as the people they are trying to accuse.

Hybrids are all over Boise, solar power is popular and there are plenty of tree huggers here, I can assure you of this.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 06-07-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,048,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post

Granted places are slightly different in the US, but overall it's getting more homogenized. If you want to find hard-line partisans on either end of the spectrum, you can find them. Generally, no one wants to hear them rant except their own kind. Too bad they don't realize this.

I, like you, don't subscribe wholly to either "philosophy" wholly. My current gripe is why can't I be pro-life and also want for poor women to get free birth control. Or the elderly get inexpensive, subsidized pharmaceuticals. And as a religious person, I'm supposed to be in favor of the war in all aspects? And I can't be in favor of oil drilling in Alaska and also want to allow it easier for there to be legal immigration? Dislike the United Nations but want to keep Social Security? The two party system doesn't work for me.

(ooh, turned into a rant. Sorry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area