Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 31,178 times

Advertisements

Looking to Re-locate from So. California. Want to know more about Nampa. Want to purchase a couple of acres in a safe, conservative area with low cost of living. Also, Lake Lowell area. What is it like? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,848,884 times
I encourage you to use the search feature, as there are quite a few posts about Nampa and the surrounds...

Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,849 times
Nampa smells not so great, but besides that it is clean, safe and affordable place to live.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM

424 posts, read 1,380,332 times
Clean and Safe is not the way I would I describe Lake Lowell. A dirty, nasty cesspool that place is (not from crime but from pollution). Hence the reason I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

692 posts, read 3,144,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Nampa smells not so great, but besides that it is clean, safe and affordable place to live.
Smells not so great ?? What is the source and is it a year around thing ???

Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,849 times
The source is a sugar beet factory and from what I know, it is year round. However, there are parts far enough way in Nampa where you don't get that funky smell. Oh by the way, did I mention Nampa is in Idaho? So yeah, we also have a year round cow manure smell.. It's stanky, but I kind of like that, as I feel like I am home on the range.. At least out where I live near Eagle, the cow manure smell seems to come and go, I'd say a week or two out of the month after a manuring of the fields you can smell manure everywhere in the greater Boise area, excluding Boise, itself.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM

284 posts, read 612,709 times
So there IS a smell in Nampa. I had mentioned the area to my husband and he flat out said NO - It Smells. We have lived near a wood yard and a Scotts Fertilizer plant for the last 8 years. Don't really notice the Scotts plant but the wood yard really stinks.

Is there an area in Nampa that doesn't smell?

Oh and I think I'd just as soon smell cow manure on fields as I would the chicken manure that they use around here. GAG!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM

623 posts, read 1,614,349 times
If you stick to south Nampa, you'll be fine. Try south of Greenhurst or so. I don't think cesspool is a fair evaluation of Lake Lowell--definitely an area to visit and evaluate for yourself. I'd think that the rural areas between south Nampa and Kuna could offer a nice home on a large lot.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM

35 posts, read 122,522 times
My wife says to me that something smells like "peanut butter" .. we were driving on northside Blv when she said this to me ..I says to her ,,yeah ,,I think you are right ,,it does smell a little like pea nut butter..then we passed an old large building that some say is a slaughter house.. any one know about this building on Northside Blv I am talking about ? Our realator lady said she has heard others say it smells like pea nut butter also.. any one from Nampa on this forum that can say "Yea Or Nay on this..?

We are sheduled to move to Nampa first of November,,maybe I can get some info on this myself ,,got me curious ..lol

Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM

232 posts, read 566,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto190 View Post
My wife says to me that something smells like "peanut butter" .. we were driving on northside Blv when she said this to me ..I says to her ,,yeah ,,I think you are right ,,it does smell a little like pea nut butter..then we passed an old large building that some say is a slaughter house.. any one know about this building on Northside Blv I am talking about ? Our realator lady said she has heard others say it smells like pea nut butter also.. any one from Nampa on this forum that can say "Yea Or Nay on this..?

We are sheduled to move to Nampa first of November,,maybe I can get some info on this myself ,,got me curious ..lol
We've lived in Nampa for a bit over a year. My wife seems to be more sensitive to the smell than I am, and she also says it smells like peanut butter. I agree with her about the peanut butter, but not the objectionable part.....it just doesn't bother me unless we're right near the processing plant. That's strange too, since my nose is normally much more sensitive than hers.

Yes, the sugar beet processing plant is on Northside Blvd, just north of I-84. I don't think they operate year-round since I don't remember smelling it at all during the winter, but can't really say for sure.

And, if it makes any difference, we are both exceptionally happy about selecting Nampa as our place to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area