Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftoboise View Post
Good to know that Western Ada county has anti LDS religions. I'm moving to Boise and don't want to live around judgmental people.
Seeing that second sentence follow the first is good for a laugh - you'd better hope your new place lacks mirrors.

FWIW, I'm not LDS but have lived for years in SE Meridian and never had any issues at all with LDS neighbors. Quite frankly I've never had many (none in my current immediate neighborhood), but the ones I have had over the years have been fine.

I think you can run into issues in SE Idaho or Utah where LDS numbers push up in the 75% range, but there are nowhere near that many anywhere in the Treasure Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,793 times
Quote:
Good to know that Western Ada county has anti LDS religions. I'm moving to Boise and don't want to live around judgmental people. That is an area I will stay out of. I don't want my children raised to be haters. I heard there was an LDS temple going to be built in Meridian, that might be another reason people think there are more LDS there.....just a thought.
Sweet Moses, child. Remove the plank from your own eyes. I promise you, the Mormons were in Idaho long before you or I--and driven that way by *ahem* intolerance.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
I personally have never heard of the "anti LDS" factions that Syringaloid refers to. There is probably a higher proportion of LDS in western Ada county than the older parts of Boise (North End, SE Boise, Bench) but as a non-LDS resident of that area I have not had nothing but positive interactions with LDS members. Calling the area "Little Provo" is also preposterous, as it is basically your average suburbia and has nothing like a BYU campus or a population that is 90% LDS.
I am referring to some of the more independent holy roller type churches and the Church of the Nazarene. They all have a history of being anti LDS and there is a fair number of those non LDS congregations in West Boise. This is something known among the active LDS members, but LDS usually try to get a long and not let negativity like that affect them. It isn't like the anti sentiment is "in your face" but it does exist, but even with this people in West Boise are much happier and accepting than people down in that Provo area.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 06-18-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I am referring to some of the more independent holy roller type churches and the Church of the Nazarene. They all have a history of being anti LDS and there is a fair number of those non LDS congregations in West Boise. This is something known among the active LDS members, but LDS usually try to get a long and not let negativity like that affect them. It isn't like the anti sentiment is "in your face" but it does exist, but even with this people in West Boise are much happier and accepting than people down in that Provo area.
This is true. A lot of the Vineyard / Lighthouse / non denominational churches spend a lot of time and effort preaching against LDS teachings, rather than focusing on their own message. It's bizarre.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
This non-Christian would much rather deal with the Mormons, who are mainly urbane if clannish, than with any religious group that is more interested in preaching against LDS than in showing me by example how their own beliefs cause them to live in ways that improve the community. I was raised in a Christian denomination that seemed more focused on what it wasn't, and what it looked down upon in other Christian denominations, than on things I considered more important. I know what they look and sound like, and I am not fond of their act.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Good to know that Western Ada county has anti LDS religions. I'm moving to Boise and don't want to live around judgmental people. That is an area I will stay out of. I don't want my children raised to be haters. I heard there was an LDS temple going to be built in Meridian, that might be another reason people think there are more LDS there.....just a thought.
Well, that wins the comic irony award for the day. Well played.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
I've known a few Mormons; even had a few Mormon supervisors. Never known any to be haters. Overall, good people, patriotic, family-oriented. If they choose to not be close to me, because I do such things as drink and gamble, I wouldn't hold it against them.
Same thing as me preferring not to be close to folks with very different political leanings than me, though I have made some exceptions. You have to, where I live. That's why I'm moving to Boise.

Last edited by wolfdog; 06-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area