Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 7,250 times

Advertisements

Let this serve as our love note to Idaho, and specifically the Boise metro area. After spending nearly a week scouting out the area, we just wanted to take this opportunity to express our fondness for her.

We set out to come "live" in the Boise area, even if only for a short time. To determine how difficult traffic really is, how accessible grocery/clothing/basic necessity stores were, if parks/playgrounds were somewhere we would actually want to allow our children to play, how safe and "homey" the neighborhoods were, to find local eateries we could imagine frequenting, and to converse with the locals. We did all of the above and then some.

-Traffic was very manageable and I think is likely all in perspective. We faced down Eagle Rd at 5-5:30 pm and didn't wince once!
-There really are a lot of trees! And it's lovely! Though the trees do make for difficult observations of the zoo animals!
-Meridian stole our hearts- great little town that is working to cater to and accommodate young families
-There are *really* nice playgrounds all around, specifically Settlers Park and the little playgrounds/fountains near the Boise River
-We circled Boise and its outer edges searching for "ghetto", rundown areas and just couldn't find it. It is more than apparent that Boise works to keep a clean, safe, vibrant town to encourage and edify families.
-Between Fred Meyer/WinCo/Whole Foods, one should comfortably be able to feed their family well and at a great price...We lurve WinCo
-The surrounding area has Old Navy, Wal-Mart, and a variety of thrift stores for clothing stores- I'm sure there were others, we just noticed some of the main ones we know we and others frequent. It goes without saying that Wal-Mart has everything you could ever need and a lot that you never would!
-The Greenbelt River Walk was wonderful, green, lush, relaxing and reminiscent of the best parts of the south, yet without the bugs and snakes! We are so looking forward to rafting/playing down that beautiful river one day!

Everyone of the locals to whom we'd mentioned we were considering making the move said the same thing, "It's a great place to raise a family." After living it for a very brief time, it seems to be very much the case.

So, inversions-shmersions....Boise...Idaho- wow! Thank you for being a gracious host!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
It's late spring; you wouldn't experience any inversions then.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 7,250 times
Yes, thank you boisefan- I was saying we can tolerate the winter inversion as a more than reasonable trade-off for the rest of what the area has to offer.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM

34 posts, read 60,540 times
HeadinTaBoise,

What a lovely homage you've written to your soon to be new home area destination. Hope you will always feel just the way you do now. Just as I wish couples when they walk up the aisle after a wedding ceremony, as in love in many years later as they are as they start out. :-) My hubby and I are soon to move to the Boise area, we're about three weeks away. We enter at a different point in our life story than do you and your family, we're retired, but we also have been smitten by the delightful people, convenience and seemingly affordable cost of living along with beautiful outdoor places.

Just wanted to say one newcomer to another, this was a wonderful post to see!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 AM

128 posts, read 293,358 times
This is very good to hear! I have to admit that this was expected after reading so many positive things about the Boise area. Can't wait for our visit in the fall!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 PM

447 posts, read 652,117 times
I agree with you op the inversion is a decent trade off for most myself included. Cold weather kinda sucks imo but I can live with it. Glad you love it winco is great and the good news is its spreading out to cali and texas etc.!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM

69 posts, read 273,963 times
HeadinTaBoise,

Loved your post. We've been in the Boise (NW area) a little over a year and have had the most fun. We absoluetly love it here. Welcome. You won't regret the move. Promise.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 PM

276 posts, read 644,214 times
Inversions suck but you can drive up in the mountains and be above it.
Sometimes ya gotta do it.

Winco is the best grocery store in Boise.
Don't go on the 1st of the month.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 PM

213 posts, read 343,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Don't go on the 1st of the month.
I learned that very painful lesson last night!! Had 3 non-sleeping kids, took a walk and oldest got hungry. Ok, let's go to WinCo for some nuts and fruit. At 10pm, there wasn't that many folks... but at the cash register, it's insane! 2 or 3 shopping carts of food under one purchase. I just wanted to buy $8.50 worth of food...

Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,166 times
We moved to the area from Northern Nevada last summer. I have a wife and three kids and we *love* it here! Best move I've made in my life.

Oh, and we learned the hard way about WinCo on the 1st too... wife and I walked in and asked "where's all the grocery carts?!" It was a mad house! We love the bulk foods. My spice collection is rockin' now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area