Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,424 times

Advertisements

Boise sounded great until I read about one MAJOR PROBLEM.... city data lists Boise with 738 registered sex offenders! Crazy. Whats the deal with this, do they come here to hide out??? Because of this I am crossing Boise off my list :/ Thank you all for your responses though, I do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM

156 posts, read 275,222 times
I looked and in 2011 there were only 570. Hardly a lot for 600,000 residents in the TV area.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
This topic has came up before. Idaho is much stricter than other states on what qualifies a person to be registered. If you get caught peeing in an alley in any given city in this state you may have to register depending on the cop's mood and if he or she liked seeing your junk.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 15,424 times
TV area? 600,000 residents? I'm confused.... Is this not counting just Boise itself? If that's the case, then I may just start thinking about Idaho again. I was told by someone as well that the number is high because Idaho counts all degrees when other states with low numbers count every degree (and 18 yr old with a 17 yr old) which correlates with what you just wrote. Made me wonder, so I looked at a lot of the people who were registered there and MANY were in their 20's or 30's with a child under 16... Which could mean age 0-16. Just seems like an awful lot of pedophiles in that area.... Am I missing something?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
If you're so concerned about the cold, have you considered southern Arizona and New Mexico?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM

278 posts, read 906,003 times
Wow, someone from Florida worried about moving somewhere with lots of sex offenders?! I've never heard anyone consider this to be a significant problem anywhere in Idaho, regardless of Internet statistics on the matter.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 PM

186 posts, read 239,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Wow, someone from Florida worried about moving somewhere with lots of sex offenders?! I've never heard anyone consider this to be a significant problem anywhere in Idaho, regardless of Internet statistics on the matter.
I think it's a legitimate concern - especially, for women and anyone with kids in tow!

Although, I'm irked that people guilty of public urination would be charged with a sexual offense, as opposed to something along the lines of "disorderly conduct" or an otherwise more appropriate offense classification. It doesn't look good on the patrol officers or prosecutors concerned, because - in most cases - the violator feels himself or herself to be in an emergency situation, with no viable alternative...

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 PM

159 posts, read 200,331 times
You sound like a wonderful parent, Melissa! I am so sorry to hear that you're needing to move. I would totally do the same thing if I were you. Have you considered Virginia? It's still south. Chicago is a really great city. I would also consider staying towards the coast, as the weather seems to be more temperate.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 AM

156 posts, read 275,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissae1218 View Post
TV area? 600,000 residents? I'm confused.... Is this not counting just Boise itself? If that's the case, then I may just start thinking about Idaho again. I was told by someone as well that the number is high because Idaho counts all degrees when other states with low numbers count every degree (and 18 yr old with a 17 yr old) which correlates with what you just wrote. Made me wonder, so I looked at a lot of the people who were registered there and MANY were in their 20's or 30's with a child under 16... Which could mean age 0-16. Just seems like an awful lot of pedophiles in that area.... Am I missing something?
We have researched the Boise area for over 4 years and are making the move in 18 months. We have 7 children. Of course we researched this ad nauseum. The TV (Treasure Valley) area is the entire Boise Metro area. This has approximately 600,000 residents. Idaho is SUPER strict in reporting sex offenders and in that group are people who would get a pass in larger cities.

I live in Atlanta currently. I have also lived in Chicago, Savannah, and Birmingham. Boise is far and away a much safer city for children than any place I have ever lived or visited. On one occasion, my wife and I were walking in BODO ( downtown Boise) with friends who moved there from Atlanta 8 years earlier when we saw 3 little girls walking together. I could not see any adults near them. My buddy said this is commonplace. I was blown away. In Atlanta you can't let your kid go to the mailbox alone. His words: "We are always watching".

Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This topic has came up before. Idaho is much stricter than other states on what qualifies a person to be registered. If you get caught peeing in an alley in any given city in this state you may have to register depending on the cop's mood and if he or she liked seeing your junk.
The police determine if a person is required to register as a sex offender?

Might want to stay out of WA and OR if worried about sex offenders. Per 100K population, they have a higher percentage than ID and FL is a lot higher than ID too. And I'm not sure about this, but I would assume sex offenders would migrate toward large cities since they can blend in better.

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/doc...enders_Map.pdf

Last edited by f5fstop; 01-27-2015 at 05:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: