Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
My slogan is watch where you walk and have a big foot for greater smashing area.

I moved to ID from southern UT, where black widows were everywhere (look for the ugliest web and leave it alone) and scorpions that where a pain in the rear (I was stung on the rear so I can say that from experience ). And before that, I was in TN and had black widows in many bushes. When I moved from TN, the movers put on leather gloves when packing stuff from the closets, due to the high number of brown recluse spiders in TN; thankfully, none of them here.

For dogs and a backyard, I would suggest keeping your eyes open when cutting the grass; don't let the dogs get under the deck, and check bushes and makes sure not to store too much looses wood or other crap near the house. Also check outside basement/crawl space windows for webs as well as along the lower edge of the house. And if you have firewood, I suggest wearing leather gloves and long sleeve shirts to pull the wood out...that's me.

In the garage, just be careful where you put your hands....look first.

And when I say, "watch were you put your hands," I also mean watch where you put your fingers. For years, I just reached down, placed my finger in the openings of my trailer tire chocks and pulled them out from under the tires. Well, the day I left UT to move here, for some reason I looked first....this little lady was waiting for the finger....
Are you saying that there are a lot of black widows in Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:26 PM

36 posts, read 105,765 times
OMG...yikes

Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Eww, some horrible looking spiders there!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
There are a lot of spiders here: I've seen a lot of black widows in my garage, when usually I don't see too many. However, I always seem to have problems with hobo spiders, especially in the house. Inside I get a lot of garden and jumping spiders, and I think I've spotted some brown recluse, though I'm no expert.

I wouldn't call it a "problem," per se. They're just there, and you deal with them. Same as anything else.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Probably a good idea to spray monthly.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 PM

36 posts, read 105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
There are a lot of spiders here: I've seen a lot of black widows in my garage, when usually I don't see too many. However, I always seem to have problems with hobo spiders, especially in the house. Inside I get a lot of garden and jumping spiders, and I think I've spotted some brown recluse, though I'm no expert.

I wouldn't call it a "problem," per se. They're just there, and you deal with them. Same as anything else.
Thanks vandalslol. Do you live in a more rural area? I read the Brown Recluse stays in warmer climates like Texas and as far as I'm concerned those bad boys can stay down there!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
Geeze, I am all itchy just reading this thread.

Looks like I'll need to have my yard sprayed regularly. Anyone know of any sprays/treatments that are not harmful to dogs?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 AM

209 posts, read 316,656 times
I currently live in an area with many bugs. I just keep my dog inside while they're spraying and wait for it to dry and there's no problem after that.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:59 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Between Boise and where I've lived in SoCal there seems to be a more spiders in Idaho. Anecdotal experiences, so I can't make any specific claims. In the 10 years I've lived in SoCal I've maybe been bitten what I presumed was a spider twice. I rarely see them indoors. Granted, SoCal is more developed.

When I visit family in Idaho I almost always get bitten at least once. Fresh meat maybe? lol I was constantly bitten as a kid. They do have a basement and some big brown spiders...which may be hobos, not sure though. But they're big. My mom has no issues catching them. Quite brave. They have black widows occasionally. As others have noted they're pretty shy. However, the neighbor kid got bitten in a freak accident in the bath tub...one was in washcloth and he had to be hospitalized. It was pretty bad. Came out ok though.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Geeze, I am all itchy just reading this thread.

Looks like I'll need to have my yard sprayed regularly. Anyone know of any sprays/treatments that are not harmful to dogs?
I have 3 dogs and we use hot shot, no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area