Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 PM

54 posts, read 72,658 times

Advertisements

I read a few articles very recently about Boise having a booming tech economy and one of the best cities to live in the USA (can't remember the actual sources of the articles) Which made me wonder what Boise would be like for young people in the 21-35 age range? My questions specifically are.

1. are the any true walkable/ bike friendly neighborhoods in Boise? and is the city becoming more walkable as the years go on? and if so what strives is the city making?

2. What is the art scene like in Boise? Is it possible for some one with a fine art major to find any work there??

3. where do young people hang out? and spend there time at? does the city offer anything for us to do for fun like night life?

these questions might sound trivial but I would like to learn more about this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,702 times
1. Sure, mostly the interior north end, interior east end and some of the bench and areas near BSU. Beyond that you will need a car. And really even in those areas you'd have to be real committed to get by without a car. I would say that the area is slowly becoming more walkable. Even Meridian has a comprehensive walking/biking plan that will be pretty extensive if it ever comes to full fruition (basically a combo of requiring paths to be implemented into developments and utilizing the corridors along existing irrigation canals). Overall this is a very car oriented city, though. In my experience there are very few cities in the western US where you truly don't need a car. In fact there might only be one (SF).

2. I think the art scene is fairly good for a city this size, but finding work with a fine arts degree might be unrealistic unless you've got some real good connections.

3. The main active night spot is downtown, and it is generally pretty hopping on weekend nights. There are a few other pockets around that also seem to be pretty active such as Bown Crossing and the Village in Meridian. As far as activities you'd have to be more specific cause I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
There are a lot of threads (some recent this spring) about the same topics. You can search and find out info that might answer your questions.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,382 times
It's a great place for young people who like the outdoors and who have a decent paying job.

The way I see it... Living anywhere certain things have to line up for you for it to work out. When those things line up right, you can probably live and be happy anywhere.

Here in Boise I think you need to be able to find a job (that's the tough part), you have to like outdoor recreation, you have to like seasons / periods of hot and cold weather, you probably don't want to be single (dating is tougher here), and it helps if you're apolitical, a conservative, or if you have progressive tendencies, you need thick skin.

There are parts of Boise that are very walkable; obviously those are the expensive areas to live in. Get outside of the North End, East End, and parts of SE Boise and the Central Rim, and you're highly dependent on a car, as Ida pointed out.

Art scene is small, but vibrant, active, and okay. It's not world class, but it's better than you'd think. If you have a fine arts degree, there are plenty of coffee shops hiring. I'm being flip, but it's kinda true. I know so many 20-30 somethings with liberal arts degrees that could never break through that wall of being a server / in retail.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 PM

91 posts, read 165,838 times
How's the dating scene for single guys in their late 20's to late 30's?

I have heard rumors that it can be challenging to find women at times.....sometimes due to the fact that if you're not Mormon, good luck finding a girl?

Are there such things as "Jack Mormons" (perhaps that's an older term?) who date non Mormons and drink coffee and beer?

Do most people there do match.com or plenty of fish?

Have also heard rumors that due to Boise's size.....most everyone has dated most everyone else. Not sure if the person who said that was being facetious or not?

I have no problem talking to women...and the fact that most Boise people are very friendly, I don't think it would be too hard for me to get my foot in the proverbial door to get a girls number.

Am wondering if I'm going to be a kid in a candy store out there?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 PM

It's the other way around; too many men, not enough women.

Do a search on this site. It is a topic that comes up frequently.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:52 PM

91 posts, read 165,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
It's the other way around; too many men, not enough women.

Do a search on this site. It is a topic that comes up frequently.
Ah...wow. That's not encouraging.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Do the search. You'll see the same lot of us arguing one way or another, and a handful of randoms chiming in their thoughts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: